No announcement yet.

What are we listening to now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby napping so I'm listening quietly to Vladimir Feltsman play the WTC.

I'm reading an interesting book on Mozart about his relationships with others ,including his pets,the author states Mozart gave a songbird he had for three years a considerably better funeral than most well to do people of his time ever had.
    Including himself.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Mozart, String Quartet in G, K156,
      Australian String Quartet.

Dvorak, Romance in F minor, 0p.11,
      Jela Spitkova [violin]

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
        ...I'm reading an interesting book on Mozart about his relationships with others ,including his pets,the author states Mozart gave a songbird he had for three years a considerably better funeral than most well to do people of his time ever had.
        Including himself.
        Well, his starling died just a few days after his father did, and there has always been a bit of spec on how much of that was transferrence. Here is the little eulogic poem he wrote for the "funeral":

Here rests a bird called Starling,
        A foolish little Darling.
        He was still in his prime
        When he ran out of time,
        And my sweet little friend
        Came to a bitter end,
        Creating a terrible smart
        Deep in my heart.
        Gentle reader! Shed a tear,
        For he was dear,
        Sometimes a bit too jolly
        And, at times, quite folly,
        But nevermore
        A bore.
        I bet he is now up on high
        Praising my friendship to the sky,
        Which I render
        Without tender;
        For when he took his sudden leave,
        Which brought to me such grief,
        He was not thinking of the man
        Who writes and rhymes as no one can.

Don't give up your day job, Amadé! D

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

To keep my sanity while suffering from cabin fever and while the white stuff continues to fall (Up to 10") I am listeng to the complete piano concertos of LvB with Brendel and Sir Simon Rattle and the Vienna Philharmonic. In my opinion the performances
          on this set as well as the recordings are much better than the set Brendel did with the Chicago conducted by Levine back in the 80's. Wonderful piano on the part of Brendel.
          Steve

Comment

King,
            Keep your sanity?? Anyway, yes, those performances are wonderful. Brendel is really so much better than one always hears from critics. I think these are excellent performances. Don't know if it will help the snow situation much. It is only in the 50's here, but I understand it could reach the 70's by this afternoon. I hope the sun doesn't get too bright, I left my shades at home...

For me it is Beethoven too, the complete works of Opp. 40 - 50, right now the sonata in G major, Op 49 #2, also Brendel. Simple yet lovely works.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
              To keep my sanity while suffering from cabin fever and while the white stuff continues to fall (Up to 10") I am listeng to the complete piano concertos of LvB with Brendel and Sir Simon Rattle and the Vienna Philharmonic. In my opinion the performances
              on this set as well as the recordings are much better than the set Brendel did with the Chicago conducted by Levine back in the 80's. Wonderful piano on the part of Brendel.
              Steve
              King,
              I bought the Brendel/Rattle/Vienna Phil. CD as a present for my son a few years back when Virgin were doing a special offer.
              It is brilliant, - of course I get to listen too!.
              I also have the Beethoven pc's by Brendel/ Chicago Symphony/Levine, a great Orchestra , I love this recording too! I have spent many pleasurable hours listening to them.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 01-26-2005).]

Comment

W.A. Mozart - Violin Concerto nr.4, d-dur, KV.218

Comment

Gurn, I enjoyed reading Mozart's poem to his beloved pet. He better keep his day job as your say but it was still interesting to hear him take a stab at poetry. Thanks!
                  KS, your must be buried in snow by this time.
                  It's raining steadily here all day, but it's great, we need it! Beethoven's Piano Concertos, always great to listen too!
                  Lots of great listening for everyone today as always. Pianist Pierre-Laurent Aimard advances NPR's day-by-day series of the complete Beethoven piano sonatas with a concert performance of the Piano Sonata No. 13 (1800-1801). Also later Rach. Piano Concert #2, always a winner!

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 01-26-2005).]

Comment

More wonderful listening this evening with

Beethoven, Cello sonata in D,0p.102,no.2
                    Beethoven, Piano Trio 0p.70 no.1, 'Ghost'.
                    Brahms violin Concerto 0p. 77.
                    Brahms Cello sonata, in E, 0p. 38.
                    Elgar Cello concerto, 0p.85,

------------------

Comment

Grosse Messe C-Moll KV427 (417a)
                      Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                      a fitting way to end the day,
                      Thanks Pastorali for the recomendation.
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                        Grosse Messe C-Moll KV427 (417a)
                        Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                        a fitting way to end the day,
                        Thanks Pastorali for the recomendation.
                        Muriel
                        I'm very pleased you own again a working computer, very fine indeed! This recording of KV.427 is really a thrilling one and I love Maria Stader's singing as much as not many others that I know. What I'm always waiting for is the driveful Laudamus te (Allegro vivace), imho, this is hard to beat...

And then today HAPPY BIRTHDAY Herr Mozart! It's the 249th, still a year to the big Mozart year.
                        In honour to this grand event I'm listening to some music by Wolferl - Rondo in A minor KV.511 for pianoforte - else I wouldn't do so, you know that...

pastrl

[This message has been edited by Bona Nox (edited 01-27-2005).]

Comment

I listened to the Mozart C major string quintet with the Takacs quartet (and, obviously, one other person). Great piece, but I wasn't totally happy with the recording. I felt it could have been more...beautiful (to use a trite word). One of the violas in particular just sound thin and scratchy to me.

Comment

On NPR the Beethoven piano sonata series continues. Pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin plays Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 30, Op. 109.

Also on the 249th birthday of Mozart a performance of his Clarinet Concerto from Amsterdam. Martin Frost is the clarinetist, and Ton Koopman leads the Netherlands Radio Chamber Orchestra in the concert performance in Amsterdam's Royal Concertgebouw Hall.

------------------

Comment

Beethoven, symphony no.7 0p. 92,
                              Collegium Aureum /Franz Joseph Maier [violin].
                              Heavenly

Brahms, Piano Trio, no.1, 0p.8
                              The Gould Piano Trio.

Concerting tonight,
                              Mozart - Eine Kleine Nacht Music
                              The Belmont Ensemble.

Next months concert - The Beethoven Piano Society of Europe Series.
                              With Diane Anderson performing the works of Beethoven and Schubert.

------------------

Comment

Alas! The sun is out and all is right with the King.
                                This morning three new CD's of 'forgotten' composers.
                                Friedrich Ernst Fesca 1789-1826, right in Beethoven's time slot, his symphony No.3 in D Major Op.13 and the second is a Frenchman named Georges Onslow 1784-1853 another in the period and slightly after of Beethoven.
                                Until I have heard both works I have no comment on them. Oh! there is one more disc to listen to today and that is three more symphonies of Franz Ignaz Beck 1734-1809, whose dates are almost the same as Haydn.
                                Steve

"Music is the only Language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing".
                                John Erskin 1879-1951 Author and Educator

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 01-27-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                                X