No announcement yet.

What are we listening to now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm listening to LvB's op.95 which shall be followed by Op.132...
    pastrl, where are you? I miss your wonderful lineups!

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Good to have you back Amalie, although I do like the name Pwaceblossom and all those fairies names in Midsummer Night's Dream! Good story!
      KS: Big, bad storm over the weekend. I won't tell you what it is on my neck of the woods, I'm not that mean! Gurn, you shouldn't tease him so!
      For me today it's Beethoven's Piano Sonata #10 on NPR. Last week they satisfied us with The Appassionata!

Thanks Joy,
      It is nice to meet everyone again on the message board. Sounds like you are a radio fanatic like me, it's so nice to come home and switch some relaxing music. Hope you enjoy your concert soon, is it Feb.?, there is nothing like the atmosphere of a live performance !

I shall be off to a performance of Bach's B-minor Mass, at the Royal Festival Hall, with a friend.

Performed by The Florilegium Ensemble, (period instruments)

The Bach Choir.

Susan Gritton [soprano]
      Robin Blaze [countertenor]
      Stephen Loges, Baritone

Sounds Superb!

Listening earlier to:

Beethoven, Symphony no.2, 0p.36
      Chicago Symphony Orchestra / Sir Georg Solti

Bach's Partita for keyboard, no. 5
      Rosalyn Tureck [keyboard]

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 01-24-2005).]

Comment

I'm listening now to Mozart's Sonatas for fortepiano and violin ,with Malcolm Bilson and Sergiu Luca playing.
        "Prior to Leopold and Wolfgang the name Mozart was unknown to history .Even their contemopraries had trouble spelling it . Among the forms in which it appears in various documents,records, journals,letters,and other writings of the time are Mozzart,Mozzard, Motzart,Motzhart,Motzhard,Motzharth,Mozardt,
        Mozhardt,Mozhart,Mozhart,MoshartMozartz,Mozard,Muz ard, Mazar and Mosar."
        this from Amadeus,A Mozart Mosiac by Herbert Kupferberg.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Listening to Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin and finding them a bit forbidding in their clinical and mathematical precision. They certainly demand attention and don't appear to be easily or immediately accessible or engaging even by his Olympian standards! Can anyone suggest anything I could read, or other things by him that might help me up the slope from the Brandenburgs, the oratarios, the orchestral suites and the cello suites to these more rarified heights? Or is it just me who finds them difficult.........

------------------
          Beethoven the Man!
          Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Sorrano,
            Very nice lineup of music today. I really like that #0 Piano Concerto. The flute solos in the first movement are fairly surprising, somehow. Good to have ya'll back, too

Amalie,
            Let's see, Shakespeare, didn't he write a large collection of sonatas for voice and lute? Love songs, I think... don't know the pre-Baroque too well!

Joy,
            Oh, I give him nothing undeserved, I assure you! Well, the Appassionata is satisfying enough, even for weeks without a Forum to talk about it! Good to be back!

Spacerl,
            Not sure the life of a podigy is all it's cracked up to be! Hummel did well though, apprenticed to Mozart, friends with Beethoven, eminently successful as a composer and performer, not bad. Of course, it takes a lot to compensate for being named "Nepomuk", don't you think?

Bona Nox,
            Yes, I miss Pastorali too. He always had such wonderful music. Although you don't do badly yourself. Perhaps you too should learn to play alphorn sonatas with Heidi on the keyboard!

Amalie,
            Hope you have enjoyed that, it DOES sound superb!

Spacerl,
            Yes, quite a list, I am torn between Mosar and Mozzard. Of course, they will never replace Bethofen! I have heard that sonatas disk too, it is a gem. The fortepiano Bilson uses has wonderful tone.

Judith,
            Don't be put off by the apparent difficulties of the music, after a few listens you will find yourself totally caught up in the music itself, which is wondrous given the time it was composed. If you can make it through an oratorio...

For me, it is some harpsichord sonatas by Antomio Soler. Excellent! You would expect the Fandango to sound like the music of Spain, although the harpsichord manages to sound like the entire LA Guitar Quartet, but even the many sonatas have an unmistakable Spanish flavor. Soler was a student of Domenico Scarlatti, and he really did learn how to write a sonata. A hidden treasure!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

were did all is money goto
              did he like to spend alot ???

------------------
              keeperzam
              keeperzam

Comment

May I ask to whom you are referring?

------------------
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Regards,
                Gurn
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                  May I ask to whom you are referring?

i am asking what did beethoven do with all the money he got four is music did he like bye homes or land or may be sum fink asl

------------------
                  keeperzam
                  keeperzam

Comment

Originally posted by keeperzam:
                    i am asking what did beethoven do with all the money he got four is music did he like bye homes or land or may be sum fink asl

Ah, gotcha. Well, he left just a bit of money for his nephew when he died, no other investments, no homes (he always rented), no nothing. The problem was that he lived in a time of high inflation, so that what looks like a lot of money on paper is actually very little in terms of buying power. And the cost of living in Vienna was very high. Basically, he was screwed, something most of us can relate to today!

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This morning the radio presented the final movements to Beethoven's 1st Piano Concerto (period instruments) and Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto (modern instruments).

Also, there was a piano piece by Max Reger and some selected movements from El Sombrero de Tres Picos by de Falla. Can't remember any other details, morning comes early in this part of the world.

Comment

Gurnrl
                        Alphorn sonatas with Heidi on the keyboard would be nice! Almost as nice as S.R. Vaughn had played a Cello Sonata on a drum set hey, you're looking too many Bollywoods!

My day today is filled with a lot of Wolferl's Piano music. Variations - Piano Pieces - Marches - Preludiums - Fugues - Fantasies etc... etc...

50'000'000 can't be wrong
                        it's great!
                        Gauli Mauli

Comment

Lots of good listening today!
                          Muriel, very interesting about the different spelling of Mozart's name. I'm partial to Mozzard and Muzard, the later sounds like 'Mustard' to me.
                          Sorrano, good listening so early in the am two Beethoven's concertos final movements, excellent!
                          Tonight on NPR it's Bach's Goldberg Variations No. 13 performed by Angela Hewitt and Handel's Concerto Grosso Opus 3 #4 performed by the Concerto Copenhagen.
                          On NPR this is the final week of their series of the Beethoven piano sonatas. Today is a concert performance from Angela Hewitt. At the Schwetzingen Festival in Germany, she plays Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 4 (1796-1797). I'm going to miss this series when it's over. Nice to come home and look forward to a Beethoven sonata along with some interestion tidbits about it every evening since Dec. 16th!!

------------------
                          'Truth and beauty joined'
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

On this sunny but cold morning I am tuned into JC Bach. Listening to four of his Sinfonia Concertantes. He had a very strong influence on Mozart and you hear it in Mozart's early works.

Gurn, I know what you think of New England so I'll make your day again, forecast for tonight is 6 to 8 inches of that crummy white stuff.....We are already about 30"
                            above average and still 2 months to go. Bah! Humbug...

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
                              Listening to Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin and finding them a bit forbidding in their clinical and mathematical precision. They certainly demand attention and don't appear to be easily or immediately accessible or engaging even by his Olympian standards! Can anyone suggest anything I could read, or other things by him that might help me up the slope from the Brandenburgs, the oratarios, the orchestral suites and the cello suites to these more rarified heights? Or is it just me who finds them difficult.........

I dont' find them difficult but I agree about the lack of 'engagement' as you say. Join my Handel site if you want to hear MP3s form his Op6 concerti grossi, the pinacle of the genre to my mind.
                              http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

------------------
                              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

BBC Radio 3,
                                Jacqueline du Pre Anniversary Concert.

Raphael Wallfisch and John York perform the complete works for cello and piano by Beethoven in a concert celebrating the great cellist Jacqueline du Pre, who would have celebrated her 60th birthday tomorrow.

Presented live from London's Queen Elizabeth Hall.

Beethoven:
                                12 Variations on "See the conqu'ring hero comes", Wo0 45, from Handel's Judas Maccabeus.
                                Sonata in Gm, 0p.5 no.2,
                                Sonata in Cm 0p. 102, no. 1
                                Sonata in A, 0p. 69

Seven Variations on Bei mannern, welche Leibe fuhlen, Wo0 46, from Mozart's Die Zauberflote.
                                Sonata in F, 0p.5, no.1
                                12 Variations on Ein Madchen oder ein Weibchen.
                                Sonata in D, 0p. 102, no.2.

Raphael Wallfisch [cello]
                                John York [piano]

More tomorrow.

A very affectionate tribute to an amazingly gifted cellist.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 01-25-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                                X