No announcement yet.

What are we listening to now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to listen to all 9 of Beethoven's Symphonies this week-end ,but I'm only up to No.7.

Poor Schumann,poor Brahms,poor Clara?
    Well I agree that Robert's illness was sad and tragic.Brahms was so much younger than Clara and she had six children to concern herself with. I'm sure she didn't entertain any idea of a romance with Johannes or anyone ,as the principal wage earner of the family during Robert's final illness and after his death,she was concetrating on her work.That Brahms carried a torch for Clara there is no doubt,but so did hundreds of her male admirers ,she was after all a huge star.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Wagner: prelude to Act 1 - Lohengrin.
      Orchestra du Conservatiore du music Quebec.

Bloch: Meditation and processional.
      Marten Carlsen [viola]
      Sergi Osadchuk [piano]

Beethoven: String Quartet, 0p. 59/3
      'Rasumovsky'

Brahms: Variations on a theme by Paganini 0p.35,book 2 / Shura Cherkassy [piano]

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Beethoven- Triple Concerto
        One of my favorites!

Comment

Today will be Beethoven's Egmont Overture, one of my favourites! Also later Haydn's Piano Sonata No. 35 with Emanuel Ax, piano. Also Mozart's Symphony No. 28 in C K 200 with conductor Sir Charles Mackerras and the Prague Chamber Orchestra via radio.
          Tonight on NPR mostly Handel in honour of his birthday today (1685). His Concerto Gross No. 6 #9 and CG #12 and his Water Music plus some others.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Well, I am starting out this soggy morning with the Quartet in Eb - #12 - Op 127 - LvB. Tokyo Quartet. It makes even a day with low prospects seem a bit OK!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I listen to so much music (since I listen more or less all day at the office) that it would be impossible to post it all here, so I usually don't bother. But yesterday was an unusual day for me - an all Baroque day! - so I'll share it.

Yesterday I listened to:

The Brandenburg Concertos (Bach)
              The Orchestral Suites (Bach)
              Concerti Grossi, Op. 6 (Handel)

The Bach was all performed by Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert, the Handel by the AAM. Delightful pieces and performances, all. I enjoyed the Handel so much that I may give it another listen today.

Comment

Handel for me too ,the Harpischord Suites HWV426-433,Anthony Newman plays.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Toccata op.7 schumann. excellent piano piece.
                  Mozart fantasies k.608 and k.594 for mechanical organ. two of the greatest works for organ!
                  MOZART FOREVER!!!!!
                  BEETHOVEN FOREVER!!!!!

Comment

Antoine Reicha's Wind Quintets .
                    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Antoine Reicha's Wind Quintets .
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I have approximately 75 Vivaldi Concerti (all instruments) queued up, and I'm going to listen to them, else go mad with the effort . Lots of great players, too, Manze, Hugget, Standage, Zukerman, Perlman, Bylsma, and oboists and bassoonists galore. There are even some mandolins in there somewhere, and one lonely salmoè right off in the middle. Wish me luck....

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          I have approximately 75 Vivaldi Concerti (all instruments) queued up, and I'm going to listen to them, else go mad with the effort . Lots of great players, too, Manze, Hugget, Standage, Zukerman, Perlman, Bylsma, and oboists and bassoonists galore. There are even some mandolins in there somewhere, and one lonely salmoè right off in the middle. Wish me luck....

Only 437 to go Gurn, what a wealth of wonderful listening, enough to listen to in this life and the next!
                          Only the best performers too.
                          On this side of the pond, Andrew Manze and Rachel Podger are really establishing themselves as the great force in baroque violin concertos, and I realise how lucky I was to see them perform at last years proms.

Travelling to work the other day, I heard a brilliant piece by Salieri, the overture to his opera 'Tartini', which apparently was never staged ?. The piece was called - Cublai, gran kan de 'Tartini'.
                          Performed by the London Mozart Players.

Another great piece by Couperin:
                          Sonade from the Seconde orde 'L'Espagnole'.
                          Hesperion XX, Jordi Savall.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 02-25-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                            Andrew Manze and Rachel Podger are really establishing themselves as the great force in baroque violin concertos, and I realise how lucky I was to see them perform at last years proms.
                            Yes, Manze directed the AAM from his violin on the Handel Op. 6 that I was listening to the other day. He is a great talent.

Comment

Amalie & Chris,
                              There is no contest for me at all, Manze is now and always has been my favorite Baroque violinist. Not only his talent at conveying the music, but his choice of repertoire being a combination of mainstream and "other than..." has served to broaden my horizons just a bit too. This Vivald-a-thon has gone well so far, it will continue tonight when I return home. For now though, it is some of the early string quartets of Mozart, this is #5 in F major K 158, not the calibre of his later works, but head and shoulders beyond what anyone but Haydn was doing at the time. Bueno!

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Vivaldi: Sinfonia in G, major RV149
                                Academy of Ancient Music / Andrew Manze.
                                Terrific playing !

Vivaldi's pyrotechnics certainly gained him fame and his career blossomed under generous patronage only for him to end his days in Vienna penniless, such a great shame which always puzzles me as Handel became very wealthy. I haven't really fully understood about Vivaldi's circumstances.

Poulenc: Intermezzo in A flat,
                                Marc-Andre Hamelin

Mozart: Symphony no. 34, in C, K338
                                Orchestra of the 18th Century

Vaughan Williams:
                                Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
                                London Philharmonic Orchestra

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 02-26-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                                X