What are we listening to now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    I am listening to the Symphony in d minor - #2 - Op 42 - Georges Onslow (1784-1853) - This is just outstanding music, from a man who had the huge misfortune to be born in the time of the greatest symphonist. No ones work can avoid being overshadowed by Beethoven's, especially if written in 1815! In any other day and time, this would be called "great music". In this day and time, I am doing exactly that!
    [QUOTE]

Gurn, I could not have said it any better. The only thing Onslow had going for him that LvB did not is the fact that he came from a very well off family, his mother was French and his father was English, both of nobility. I personally like his Symphony No.4 in G Major Op.71. He has some beautiful melodies and his orchestration is nothing short of stunning. Another more than just good composer lost in the shadow of Beethoven.

Comment

This evening its Verdi's La Traviata. In the title roll of Violetta is the late great Victoria de los Angeles, and she as at her best in this roll. Also Carlo del Monte as Alfredo and Mario Sereni as Germont. The Rome Opera House Orchestra is conducted by Tullio Serafin. I have heard and I own other performances of Traviata but this one is at the very top. The Cd transfer from a 1960 Angel(EMI) recording is first class. Anyone looking for a first rate performance will not go wrong with this wonderful rendition.
      I still own the original Lp records of this work along with the cd.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 02-20-2005).]

Comment

El parte... Per pietà - of W.A. Mozart's 'Cosi fan tutte' - Barbara Frittoli

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          I am listening to the Symphony in d minor - #2 - Op 42 - Georges Onslow (1784-1853) - This is just outstanding music, from a man who had the huge misfortune to be born in the time of the greatest symphonist. No ones work can avoid being overshadowed by Beethoven's, especially if written in 1815! In any other day and time, this would be called "great music". In this day and time, I am doing exactly that!

Onslow's connection with Beethoven is through his teacher Anton Reicha, who played in the same orchestra as Beethoven in Bonn and may also have been a composition pupil of Neefe.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Nice to see the flock gathering again.
            Welcome back everyone .

This mornings programme comprises

Rimsky-Korsakov: A night on the bare mountain / Oslo Philharmonic Orcherstra.

Vivaldi: La Stravaganza, concerto 0p.4 no.8 / Rachel Poder [violin ] /Arte die Sonatori.

Sir Arthur Somervell: Violin concerto, G major,
            Scottish Symphony Orchestra.

Very Brahmsian, I feel, with its rich orchestration, and lyricism.

Brahms: Storm tossed and passionate -
            Tragic Overture 0p. 81 / London Philharmonic Orchestra.

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 02-20-2005).]

Comment

Good morning all,
              Peter, thanks for that tidbit. I knew that Gounod, Liszt and Berlioz were all students of Reicha, but not Onslow. The more one explores the interconnections between these guys... also, Reicha came to Vienna in 1803 (?) and studied with Albrechtsberger.

Nice list, Amalie, you've touched all the bases it seems!

For me, it is another d minor synphony, #9 - Op 125 - Louis Beethoven. Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra, David Zinman. Wonderful performance, full of energy and great musicianship. And with just a hint of sun coming up, it will be off to the golf course in a bit. Perfectamente!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                Spaceray!!! Works by Henry Purcell have intrigued me lately.Would you mind describe me what kind of piece this is?

These amusing lyrics by Motteau are miles above the usual word Purcell had to set.

Man ,Man, Man is for the woman made ,
                And the woman made for man,
                As the spur is for the jade,
                As the scabbard for the blade,As for digging is the spade,
                As for liquor is the can,
                So man is for the woman made ,
                And the woman made for man.

As the scepter to be sway'd,
                As for nights the serenade,
                As for pudding is the pan,
                And to cool us is the fan,
                And so man is for the woman made ,

Be she widow,wife or maid,
                Be she wanton,be she stayed,
                Be she well or ill array'd,
                Whore ,bawd or harridan,
                Yet man, man ,man is for the woman made ,

This from Purcell's 'Deliciae Musicae' of 1696.

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I'm listening to Beethoven's Symphony No 3 in E flat major Op55,recomended to me by His Majesty,King Stephen,thanks Steve.

I watched a film on TV last night of Glenn Gould playing the "Eroica Variations".I don't think anyone here likes Gould's Beethoven.It can be difficult to concentrate on the music because his antics at the piano really distract from his playing. One can't help but wonder how he could play like that,hunched low down with the keyboard at his chin. And the humming!
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Schumann: Fantasy in C, 0p.17
                    Alfred Brendel [piano ].

Does anyone know why Schumann referred to this rather lovely piece above as 'Sonata for Beethoven' ?.

------------------

Comment

spacerl,
                      Ah, so Purcell DID have a bit of wit! For 1696, that's pretty good! Who is playing the Eroica for you? As for Gould, I can deal with him OK if he will just leave Beethoven and Mozart alone. He's good on recordings anyway, since you don't have to actually watch him. When I first heard the Goldberg's though, I thought I had put in a bad cantata by mistake!

Amalie,
                      I wish I knew the answer to yuor question, as you have aroused my curiousity. I'll see what i can find out

For em, it is the Serenade for Violin & Orchestra Op 75 by Max Bruch. Wonderful work, as all of Bruch's unheralded output is. Salvatore Accardo - Leipzeig Gewandhaus Orchestra / Masur.

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Schumann: Fantasy in C, 0p.17
                        Alfred Brendel [piano ].

Does anyone know why Schumann referred to this rather lovely piece above as 'Sonata for Beethoven' ?.

This work was Schumann's homage to his idol. At the end of the first movement, Schumann quotes the last song from Beethoven's An die ferne geliebte, and throughout the movement there are suggestions of this theme. Schumann's Fantasy is though totally unclassical in style and structure.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                          This work was Schumann's homage to his idol. At the end of the first movement, Schumann quotes the last song from Beethoven's An die ferne geliebte, and throughout the movement there are suggestions of this theme. Schumann's Fantasy is though totally unclassical in style and structure.

Thankyou Peter,
                          I was also wondering whether this piece was composed during Schumann's illness and his enforced, cruel separation from Clara, as she would then have been truly his 'distant beloved'. I believe that Brahms was in love with Clara during this time .
                          Oh, what a tangled web! Poor Schumann, poor Clara and poor Brahms!

Sounds like great material for Mr.SRivele's next movie...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 02-21-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Thankyou Peter,
                            I was also wondering whether this piece was composed during Schumann's illness and his enforced, cruel separation from Clara, as she would then have been truly his 'distant beloved'. I believe that Brahms was in love with Clara during this time .
                            Oh, what a tangled web! Poor Schumann, poor Clara and poor Brahms!

This was quite an early work, written in 1836 when Schumann was 26 - he originally dedicated the work to Clara, but changed it to Liszt!

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Last night I listened to Celibidache's version of Tchaikowsky's 5th Symphony. That is a very nice performance, although the tempi is very slow for all the movements. Notwithstanding, the music is very intense and enjoyable.

Are there any recordings available of any of the Beethoven works (as done by Celibidache)?

Comment

Beethoven: Sonata quasi una fantasia for paino, 0p.27/2, 'Moonlight'.
                                Daniel Barenboim [piano]

Brahms: String Quartet no.1, 0p 51.C minor.

Brahms: String Quintet 0p.111 G major.

Beautiful works !

Performed by the Belcea Quartet.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X