New Beethoven PC debut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hofrat:
    The reconstructors ARE NOT dishing their reconstructions off as "Beethoven" works. I checked my numerous scores of various reconstructions to see what was claimed:

Overture Macbeth is based on sketches in Biamonti 454 and opus 70/1.
    The 10th Symphony movement is completed and realized by Barry Cooper.
    The D-major Piano Concerto Movement is based on Artaria 184 by Nicholas Cook.
    The Beethoven C-minor Symphony movement is completed from sketches in the Kafka miscellany.
    The Schubert 7th and 10th Symphonies are realizations by Brian Newbould.

No one claimed that his work was authentic!

For greed I meant not only money, I meant it in ego matters. The score doesn't matter much, I know they won't publish this stuff as being the composer's alone, but take a look at chandos cd that features the triple concerto and Barry Cooper's 1st movement of Beethoven's 10th, only in the booklet you know that it is Cooper's. The front covers says nothing.
    Also, the score isn't what the media shows, as was said before, google up "beethoven lost concerto rotterdam" and you'll find lots of "Lost Beethoven concerto to be performed in Rotterdam". Do you see the problem with that headline?

------------------
    "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
      For greed I meant not only money, I meant it in ego matters. The score doesn't matter much, I know they won't publish this stuff as being the composer's alone, but take a look at chandos cd that features the triple concerto and Barry Cooper's 1st movement of Beethoven's 10th, only in the booklet you know that it is Cooper's. The front covers says nothing.
      Also, the score isn't what the media shows, as was said before, google up "beethoven lost concerto rotterdam" and you'll find lots of "Lost Beethoven concerto to be performed in Rotterdam". Do you see the problem with that headline?

Rutradelusasa!
      I totally agree with you!

Comment

Originally posted by Johan:
        Rutradelusasa!
        I totally agree with you!
        call me Artur .

------------------
        "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
        "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Ok, Artur! Thanks!
          -----------

Now that we are talking about the Cooper put-together symphony, have you who have heard this come to think of another symphony that is very similar?

Comment

Originally posted by Johan:
            Ok, Artur! Thanks!
            -----------

Now that we are talking about the Cooper put-together symphony, have you who have heard this come to think of another symphony that is very similar?

It strikes me as a mixture of Beethoven's 9th (adagio), Mendelssohn's 3rd and Brahms's 1st!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              It strikes me as a mixture of Beethoven's 9th (adagio), Mendelssohn's 3rd and Brahms's 1st!

Not to mention the slow movement of the "Pathetique" sonata - but that is Beethoven's fault, not Barry Cooper's.

Michael

Comment

They were discussing this piece on our classical radio station this weekend. Here's a synopsis of what they had to say: "A previously unknown piece of music by Beethoven will get its world premiere next week in Rotterdam. The adagio, found in rough outline on manuscript paper in the British Museum, was reconstructed into an 8 minute piece by Beethoven scholar Cees Nieuwenhuizen and belongs to a lost piano concerto that Beethoven wrote in 1789, around the time he was writing his second piano concerto."

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                  Not to mention the slow movement of the "Pathetique" sonata - but that is Beethoven's fault, not Barry Cooper's.

Michael

Yes, Peter and Michael!
                  I totally agree with the mixture you mention, Peter.
                  I was glad that you mentioned Mendelssohn, since in spirit I always associate with his Ist symphony.

Comment

It would not surprise me the least if LvB wrote twice or even thrice a Bonn 'clavier' concerto. He worked at a new concerto in or about the year 1788.
                    Here we are now presented with another "Part of a previously unknown piano concerto by Beethoven", and the "Debut of an unknown Beethoven work", if we are to believe the text on BBC News site. Only naturally, this sort of headlines arouse excitement in those who are interested in His music...

An 'Adagio' preliminary drafted by Beethoven sometime in Bonn, with his own annotation: '---to a (piano) concerto in A [major]' is to be found, as #55, in the Biamonti catalogue printed in the 1960's. I strongly suspect this to be identic with the 'previously unknown work' announced. Thus this then has undergone a 'realisation' in the quest of producing a fair performing version.
                    / G. sending over to You

[This message has been edited by Geratlas (edited 02-03-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                    X