On Thid Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Thid Day!

Melody Master, Franz Peter Schubert was born on this day, unfortunately he was on this earth for such a short time, 31 years.

Originally posted by King Stephen:
    Melody Master, Franz Peter Schubert was born on this day, unfortunately he was on this earth for such a short time, 31 years.

Thanks for the remembrance Steve,
    But looking on the bright side, Schubert of course did leave us a magnificent legacy.

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

It's a magical thought: had he lived even as long as Mozart, how many more additional masterpieces would now be standard repertoire? Had he lived as long as Beethoven, I believe it is credible to ask whether his star might now shine just as brightly as the Master's.

Comment

Ah Franzerl,
        Poor fellow was awfully hard on himself,
        if anyone needed protection from the hard realities of life he did.His friends tried to help him when things were bleak but he was ever profligate with opportunities that came his way.Still he managed to crank out about 500 songs ,nevermind his other works.The question for me is never what he might have done had he lived longer but how was he able to create such a large and splendid body of work in his short 31 years!

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Yes, it's truly astonishing that he found the time to (physically) write it all down. Which is to say nothing of the far more time-consuming and difficult process of composing, itself!!

Comment

It did not matter to Schubert that the room was full of people and that they were coming and going,eating, drinking and smoking,playing and singing,reciting poetry or playing card games ,he would sit by himself in the corner with his book of poems and set them to music.I have read that he rarely composed at the piano.
            Amazing!
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
              It did not matter to Schubert that the room was full of people and that they were coming and going,eating, drinking and smoking,playing and singing,reciting poetry or playing card games ,he would sit by himself in the corner with his book of poems and set them to music.I have read that he rarely composed at the piano.
              Amazing!

Somewhere, I read that at restaurants he wrote music on the tablecloth, as well.

Comment

Felix Mendelssohn was responsible for discovering Schubert's great C Major Symphony
                left in manuscript after the composers death.
                I wonder what was on that tablecloth?
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

And wasn't it Mendelssohn whose revival of the ‘St Matthew Passion’ in Berlin in March 1829 brought back Bach?! Busy fellow!

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                    I have read that he rarely composed at the piano. Amazing!
                    Many composers did not compose at the piano. Beethoven composed at a desk, and urged his pupils to do the same. As for
                    Schubert, he did not own a piano until the year before his death!

"Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      And wasn't it Mendelssohn whose revival of the ‘St Matthew Passion’ in Berlin in March 1829 brought back Bach?! Busy fellow!

TODAY, the 3th of februar 1809 Felix mendelssohn Bartholdy was born in Hamburg. what a genius indd....I'll be listening to his italian symphony today in remebrance.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ruudp:
                        TODAY, the 3th of februar 1809 Felix mendelssohn Bartholdy was born in Hamburg. what a genius indd....I'll be listening to his italian symphony today in remebrance.[/QUOTE)

One of my favourites of his!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:
                          Many composers did not compose at the piano. Beethoven composed at a desk, and urged his pupils to do the same. As for
                          Schubert, he did not own a piano until the year before his death!

Still amazing from the point of view of a non musician.When I tried to learn to read music by studying piano ,I found that I struggled miserably through the easiest pieces,I would go for long walks to take a break and when I came back to it things would go much better for me.
                          I have read that musicians study scores away from their instruments to learn them .While it would seem an incredible gift to be able to do this I stand in awe of anyone who can.

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                          X