Hess Guess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hess Guess?

As we are on the subject (elsewhere) of reconstructions, something has been puzzling me for a long time.
    WoO 4 – the piano concerto in E flat – has been completed by Willy Hess many years ago, but I have never been clear as to what material was available to him. The original manuscript is for piano only, the full score having been lost. Now, some sources state that the solo piano part is preserved in its entirety and that the orchestral intermissions are just indicated, while others state that that the actual notes of the tuttis are also preserved but scaled down for solo piano.
    Briefly, the question is: Did Willy Hess merely orchestrate the orchestral intermissions or did he “reconstruct” them by (informed) guesswork?
    Can anyone throw some light on this?

Michael

Originally posted by Michael:
    WoO 4 – the piano concerto in E flat – has been completed by Willy Hess many years ago, but I have never been clear as to what material was available to him. The original manuscript is for piano only, the full score having been lost. Now, some sources state that the solo piano part is preserved in its entirety and that the orchestral intermissions are just indicated, while others state that that the actual notes of the tuttis are also preserved but scaled down for solo piano.
    Briefly, the question is: Did Willy Hess merely orchestrate the orchestral intermissions or did he “reconstruct” them by (informed) guesswork?
    Can anyone throw some light on this?

Michael
    As I understand, the piano part that existed had orchestral clues. Inedita in its first Beethoven Rarities CD recorded WoO 4. Perhaps the CD notes will be helpful in your query.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:
      As I understand, the piano part that existed had orchestral clues. Inedita in its first Beethoven Rarities CD recorded WoO 4. Perhaps the CD notes will be helpful in your query.
      Please excuse me, but I made a slight mistake. Inedita recorded the WoO 4 piano concerto in its 2nd Beethoven Rarities CD. The Inedita website claims that the recording is based on a new critical edition of the work. You will have to refer to their CD notes for greater clarification.

Comment

Please excuse me, but I made a slight mistake. Inedita recorded the WoO 4 piano concerto in its 2nd Beethoven Rarities CD. The Inedita website claims that the recording is based on a new critical edition of the work. You will have to refer to their CD notes for greater clarification.
        The Inedita Website supplies the following bit of information:

"Unlike most of Beethoven's unfinished works and fragments, the concerto in E-flat major for piano and orchestra WoO 4 ... came down to us complete, at least in so far as the surviving draft of the 3 completed movements, which are unequivocally attribuutable to Beethoven. Instead, the limitation to this unique manuscript copy, now conserved at the University of Tubingen in the Preussische Staatsbibliotek foundation, is that it is a version for piano only, albeit one that includes a piano arrangement of the orchestral passages, which are easily indentified by the manuscript indications of Tutti and Solo that were marked by Beethoven himself. These indications, along with others that refer to specific instruments--flutes, horns, violins--made it possible for the Swiss musicologist Willy Hess to attempt a first reconstruction of the complete work in 1943."

Further information in the CD notes!

Comment

The Inedita Website supplies the following bit of information:

"Unlike most of Beethoven's unfinished works and fragments, the concerto in E-flat major for piano and orchestra WoO 4 ... came down to us complete, at least in so far as the surviving draft of the 3 completed movements, which are unequivocally attribuutable to Beethoven. Instead, the limitation to this unique manuscript copy, now conserved at the University of Tubingen in the Preussische Staatsbibliotek foundation, is that it is a version for piano only, albeit one that includes a piano arrangement of the orchestral passages, which are easily indentified by the manuscript indications of Tutti and Solo that were marked by Beethoven himself. These indications, along with others that refer to specific instruments--flutes, horns, violins--made it possible for the Swiss musicologist Willy Hess to attempt a first reconstruction of the complete work in 1943."

Further information in the CD notes!
          Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know, the crucial words above being: "A piano arrangement of the orchestral passages." This would appear to be the most up-to-date information on a piece I have always liked very much. I am glad to hear that Hess's input was minimal. Thanks again,

Michael

Comment

Yes, Good of you to settle (on) the matter of that WoO.4 traduction/reduction.
            (I wonder; If this is the only source available to us of this concerto, how does one argue that a finished version ever was in existance, that it was conceived early to the reduction, and when that was.
            The date '1784' ascribed to the work does, as far I understand, only concern the traduction/reduction.) / G.

Comment

Working...
            X