Mass in C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass in C

How relatively underrated this joyous work is!!! Just listen to the fluency of the writing. I think this work even outshines the masses of Haydn, which I also like greatly. (To compare is very difficult, but I really would myself choose Beethoven!)

Yes it has been sadly neglected - no doubt Prince Esterhazy's unfavourable reaction didn't help! Which version do you have? Eliot Gardner's is electric!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Yes it has been sadly neglected - no doubt Prince Esterhazy's unfavourable reaction didn't help! Which version do you have? Eliot Gardner's is electric!

Hello Peter!
      I have Gardiner (DG), Chailly (Decca) and Best (Hyperion) and in my opinion is Chailly the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan:
        Originally posted by Peter:

Hello Peter!
        I have Gardiner (DG), Chailly (Decca) and Best (Hyperion) and in my opinion is Chailly the best.

I have Gardiner's, Chailly's and a new recording by Hickox/Colleguim Musicum 90. All things considered Gardiner's is the best to my mind, the direction in the other two lack variety and dynamism in comparison, though there is still room for improvement with Gardiner's.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I have Gardiner's, Chailly's and a new recording by Hickox/Colleguim Musicum 90. All things considered Gardiner's is the best to my mind, the direction in the other two lack variety and dynamism in comparison, though there is still room for improvement with Gardiner's.

How is Hickox in your opinion?

Comment

How is Hickox in your opinion?
            Wooden.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

How relatively underrated this joyous work is!!! Just listen to the fluency of the writing. I think this work even outshines the masses of Haydn, which I also like greatly. (To compare is very difficult, but I really would myself choose Beethoven!)
              Hello everyone, I am new in this forum.
              I love the Mass C very much. I think it is fresh, clear, fascinating. This masterpiece would deserve more attention.
              I've heard that Prince Eszterházy's opinion maybe rather an anecdote. Is it?

(English is not my first language. I sorry to my mistakes.)

Comment

Rod!
                Thank you. That was clear!
                -----------------------------

Welcome bfanatic! I joined also quite recently.

Comment

"How is Hickox in your opinion?"
                  Originally posted by Rod:

Wooden.

He should do well in the Pastoral Symphony then.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                  X