Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Symphony no.6 Op.68

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

One of the better efforts from Norrington's set with the London Classical Players (the best disk being that with Syms 2 & 8), but it suffers somewhat technically in that the last movement is double the recording volume of the first. The first movement is at quite a brisk tempo here and the horns rightly are prominent when the main theme kicks in not muffled in the background as i have often heard. The storm benefits particularly from the period timpani and unruly valveless brass.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Very good rendition for sure. I liked how the first movement's tempo was played briskly as well and I also enjoyed the timpani in the storm movement, really brought out the thunder sound. It certainly does sound like Beethoven got his idea from the Justin Knecht symphony almost verbatim. Nonetheless I think Beethoven's attempt at a musical storm is the best of anyone I've heard.

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        One of the better efforts from Norrington's set with the London Classical Players (the best disk being that with Syms 2 & 8), but it suffers somewhat technically in that the last movement is double the recording volume of the first. The first movement is at quite a brisk tempo here and the horns rightly are prominent when the main theme kicks in not muffled in the background as i have often heard. The storm benefits particularly from the period timpani and unruly valveless brass.

Finally, my MUCH belated response...this is the BEST version I've heard of these 2 movements by far, untill now my best version had been stokowski's version in the movie fantasia I'm starting too think that I've GOT too have this set...I'm liking it more and more..especially the brisk tempo...oew..I also have got a version of glenn gould playing the 1st movement of the arrangement by liszt..wonderfull playing aswell

Regards,
        Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:

Finally, my MUCH belated response...this is the BEST version I've heard of these 2 movements by far, untill now my best version had been stokowski's version in the movie fantasia I'm starting too think that I've GOT too have this set...I'm liking it more and more..especially the brisk tempo...oew..I also have got a version of glenn gould playing the 1st movement of the arrangement by liszt..wonderfull playing aswell

Regards,
          Ruud
          Well the 6th is probably the most lamely performed off all the B symphonies from my experience. This and the Hanover Band's are the best recordings of it, but I'm using the HB for the 7th's mp3s. Gardiner's 6th is awful.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 01-31-2005).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
          X