No announcement yet.

Forgotten contemporaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought some of you might be interested in this site: http://www.recordsinternational.com/

Has lots of interesting things, as Haydn's early trios (two violins and cello), Eckard, Cherubini Cello concertos ...

------------------
    "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      Johan,
      Since the Cherubini SQ discussion above, I have obtained one of those Hausmusik disks (#2 & #5), and I must say, they are really as good as advertised. Even though composed around 1830, thus late in his career, they still have a lovely Classical Era sound to them. But the biggest find of his came on a disk of 3 works for fortepiano: a sonata by Clementi, one by Dussek, and lastly a "Capriccio ou Etude pour le Fortepiano" by Cherubini. This is super, written in 1789 when he was still a student (though 29 years old already) in Vienna. it is a very large work (nearly 36 minutes long) and much like a 4 movement Fantasia. Very advanced for its time too, if you heard it wothout knowing, you would peg its origin at 1830 rather than 1789! He missed his calling with all the opera stuff...

Hello Gurn!
      I'm glad you find also this way regarding Cherubini. The work you mention is unknown to me, but as I really have found Cherubini's music outstanding I will try to find that piece!
      Thank you for telling!

Comment

Originally posted by Johan:
        Hello Gurn!
        I'm glad you find also this way regarding Cherubini. The work you mention is unknown to me, but as I really have found Cherubini's music outstanding I will try to find that piece!
        Thank you for telling!

Johan,
        Always pleased to share a discovery. Cherubini would have been the last person I would have thought of for a solo fortepiano work of such interest!

------------------
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment