Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fidelio as an oratorio

Hello!
    I had the idea of casting Beethoven's opera Fidelio as an oratorio and changing (I hope this isn't for anyone too much a sacrilegious act) some part more suitable to the biblical world. I thought the best cast would be to have Our Saviour and persons around him as characters.
    The opera gives some good starting points.
    I give you an example so that you can understand what I exactly mean: I would re-cast the part of Florestan as a choir to represent believers in stress and unite it thus with the prisoners. Leonore would be Our Saviour and the register could be changed to tenor.
    How would you cast?

Beethoven wrote an oratorio,Christ on the Mount of Olives opus 85,I never fail to think to myself when I hear it,what a great opera this is!
    I think it's best to leave Fidelio as it is.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Although i don't agree with the idea of converting Fidelio into religious oratorio, by coincidence I have in the past described Fidelio as it stands as a 'quasi-oratorio'!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Although i don't agree with the idea of converting Fidelio into religious oratorio, by coincidence I have in the past described Fidelio as it stands as a 'quasi-oratorio'!

Now I think you have misunderstood me a little bit: I don't actually want to change Fidelio to an oratorio. It can stand as it is. I would have been interested only to hear your fantasies in this thought-experiment.
        And yes! Beethoven's only oratorio is really very operatic! Here we see his transcendent qualities and his ability not to be bound to only external FORMS and their rules, when trying to find the most adequate form of expressing musical ideas.

Comment

Working...
        X