Karajan's 1963 cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karajan's 1963 cycle

well, i just found the best deal ever. it is the complete 9 symphonies conducted by Karajan in 1963 for $20! and that's Canadian dollars, too! if you live in western Canada, i would suggest you get to A & B sound right away and take advantage of this...

anyway.. i've just brought it home now. i have already bought recordings of Karajan doing the 4th, 5th, and 7th symphonies, but i think these ones i just got sound better. much better. i made a post a while back on here complaining about Karajan, but those complaints don't hold here - these are really good recordings.

anyway.... happy new year.

i also bought a double cd of the piano sonatas 29-32 and the op. 126 6 bagatelles played by Christoph Eschenbach. I haven't heard of him before, but this was also priced very agreeably, and i didn't have these sonatas on cd yet. haven't listened to it yet, but i'm sure it'll be good, and i have heard a couple of these piano sonatas already.

and the other thing i bought today was Glenn Gould's recording of the Liszt transcription of the 5th symphony along with the first movement of the 6th symphony. i listened to the samples on amazon and decided i needed to get it. so now i have it. haven't listened to it eaither yet. i'm still on the Karajan...

a good day for me as a Beethoven fan.

cos,
    That is an excellent cycle, you will be very pleased with it. Of the 3 cycles he has available ('63, '77? & '81?) this is the best performance and great sound too. You got a deal, I got it when it first came out as a "budget" price, and paid $38 US for it, and I still think I got a deal! As for Eschenbach, he is a really good pianist, I have him doing the complete Mozart sonatas and he does them very well. He is a conductor now, but was a fine pianist when he did that. Great listening, enjoy!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I got this cycle BRAND NEW for $5 plus shipping and handling...BOW TO ME!

Love music

Comment

Originally posted by choralfreak:
        I got this cycle BRAND NEW for $5 plus shipping and handling...BOW TO ME!

Where did you find it???

Comment

me too i have the 9 symphony conducted by karajan and the vienner singverain with the berliner philharmoiker edited by D.G it's one of the best recording of this work (1963) but the price of the cd is really expensive 30$!
          i think it's due to the multi translation of the od of joy and the biography of karajan

Comment

Working...
          X