what are we listening too now??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cry from the Aborigones.
    An interesting modern piece for me this morning - Peter Sculthorpe's 'Earth Cry'
    William Barton (didjeridoo),
    The Queensland Orchestra.
    This piece resounds with an elemental sense of landscape and extraordinary sound effects of the instruments interacting with one another.

A wonderful piece by Max Bruch, Scottish Fantasy /I. Perlman.

Vivaldi - guitar concerto, no. 3
    English Chamber Orchestra.

Vivaldi - Concerto in D, L'Arte dell'Arco/Hogwood.

------------------
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

W.A.M. Missa Brevis KV.275 in B flat major
      Hüttenbrenner Missa Nr.IV (1829)
      including Schubert's Offertorium D.962
      LvB Canos, Epigrams and Jokes, Irish Songs WoO 152

Comment

Brandenburg Concertos 1-3 Consort of London conducted by Robert Haydon Clark - from the Brilliant Classics Bach box which I shall slowly work my way through - great way of getting to know a composer and a ridiculous price of £30 for 40 CDs. Any recommendations for other boxes in the series? - think I probably have enough of the Beethoven and Mozart boxes already for them to be not so useful but the Vivaldi looks fun and has my campaign theme - Juditha Triumphans - in it.

------------------
        Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 12-12-2004).]
        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Carl Maria von Weber
          Konzertstück in F minor Op.79
          Piano Concertos #1&2 Op.11, 32

Staatskapelle Dresden / Herbert Blomstedt, Piano Peter Rösel

Judith
          This is also a Brilliant box of 3 CD's, On the lineup also Symphonies #1&2 and several Overtures by Weber. Great music, wonderful played (Symp. by Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields / Marriner) and even some little notes are included. I'm very fond of Brilliant.

Comment

Mozart's Haffner Symphony. Nice!

Comment

Jakob Lorber (1800-1864)
              Duo for Violin and Piano 'The husband's lament'
              Circle of 9 movements for String Quartet
              'The Russian's silent and enjoyfull life'
              Pro Arte Quartet, Graz - Ulrike Danhofer Violin.

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 12-14-2004).]

Comment

Luigi Cherubini a transplanted Italian who made France his adopted country and in so doing became a leader in the French school of music.
                This evening I am listening to probably his most famous work, his Requiem for Chorus and Orchestra in D minor (1816).
                He omits the conventional soloist in favor of just a chorus and his orchestration is by no means of small proportion. I can understand how this work was so well admired by Beethoven, Berlioz, Brahms and Schumann.
                In 1836 Cherubini composed another Requiem scored for men's voices and heard as he had intended, at his own funeral.

Comment

An organ prelude by Dietrich Buxtehude. A fine work - some sublime harmonic progressions.
                  "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

For first time in my adult life, listening to sacre music to relax:

G.F.Händel: Dixit Dominus & Laudate Pueri (Psalms 110 & 112) & Vivaldi's Gloria.

I also ran like hell from Gyorgy Ligeti's Requiem for soprano, mezzosoprano, 2 choirs and orchestra. When I listen to music like that my first question is: Why?

Comment

Early in the Beethoven Celebration Day, it is the Sonata in Eb for Violin & Piano - #3 - Op 12/3 - Gidon Kremer/Martha Argerich. Great start to the day!

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
                        For first time in my adult life, listening to sacre music to relax:

G.F.Händel: Dixit Dominus & Laudate Pueri (Psalms 110 & 112) & Vivaldi's Gloria.

I also ran like hell from Gyorgy Ligeti's Requiem for soprano, mezzosoprano, 2 choirs and orchestra. When I listen to music like that my first question is: Why?

The Ligeti Requiem is a favorite of mine! Like his Lux Aeterna, I think it's good music!

Today (as noted in another thread) Beethoven's 8th symphony spread a little joy in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

The Ligeti Requiem is a favorite of mine! Like his Lux Aeterna, I think it's good music!

Today (as noted in another thread) Beethoven's 8th symphony spread a little joy in my life.
                          Händel was more what I needed to listen, it actually was my first experience with Ligeti music and guess the cd will have quite a long rest... perhaps it was on the wrong place the wrong time . Nevertheless, in the same cd there are also the no.1 string quartet and the Trio for violin, horn and piano and these perhaps will fit more in my usual listening.

LvB 8th, it's fantastic! Certainly spreads joy. Tomorrow I'll be attending at LvB 9th performance.

This last couple of days are being monothemic: Chopin. His waltzes, polonaises and mazurkas are grabbing all my attention.

Comment

I'm listening to Mozart's Mass in C sent to me
                            for Christmas from a dear friend.Wonderful gorgeous and splendid singing.
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
                              Händel was more what I needed to listen, it actually was my first experience with Ligeti music and guess the cd will have quite a long rest... perhaps it was on the wrong place the wrong time . Nevertheless, in the same cd there are also the no.1 string quartet and the Trio for violin, horn and piano and these perhaps will fit more in my usual listening.

Not everyone will like Ligeti. This morning it's Sir Granville Bantock, again. This time it's the Processional from "Two Orchestral Scenes." A very nice piece, indeed!

Comment

Added the finale from Tchaikowsky's Manfred Symphony.

Comment

Working...
                                X