what are we listening too now??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    Well, it is my "trip through time and space to old time Spain" morning today.

Sonata-master Domenico Scarlatti - 24 Sonatas for Harpsichord - Luciano Sgrizzi

His student - Antonio Soler - 6 Quintets for Harpsichord % Strings - Concerto Rococco

Late Classical symphonist Carlos Baguer - 4 sinfonias - London Mozart Players

Late Classical/Early Romantic wunderkind Juan Christos Arriaga - Grand Symphony and 2 Overtures - 3 String Quartets - Voces Quartet

Gonna get a tan, drink some sangria, eat a valencia...

Wow! You've got works of spanish composers that would be hard to find in many spanish record shops.

Last week I listened to Arriga's symphony and the "esclavos felices" overture and I was shocked that those were the works of a young 20s composer that had just left Bilbao since he was coming to a standstill, to go to Paris conservatory. Specially the symphony, which sounds so mature.

What do you think about Beguer, on the other hand?

Comment

For me, it is the Acursed Huntsman by Franck.

Comment

Beethoven: Grosse Fuge, 0p.133, (arr. Agnieska Duczmal).
        The Amadeus Polish Chamber Radio Orchestra.

Respighi: Pines of Rome,
        BBC Philharmonic Orchestra

------------------
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
          Wow! You've got works of spanish composers that would be hard to find in many spanish record shops.

Last week I listened to Arriga's symphony and the "esclavos felices" overture and I was shocked that those were the works of a young 20s composer that had just left Bilbao since he was coming to a standstill, to go to Paris conservatory. Specially the symphony, which sounds so mature.

What do you think about Beguer, on the other hand?
          atserri,
          Even more amazing than that actually, he died at 19 years old, so those works are from when he was 17 or 18! Stunning really, one can imagine if he had lived even as long as Mozart!
          As for Baguer, I really like his symphonies, they are classical in design but have some romantic aspects too. Considering that he lived out of th emainstream of composition, he need not take a back seat to any of his contemporaries.
          On the Soler, one finds that he has a surprising amount of obligatto work for the strings in compositions from a man who died in 1783. That sort of writing was just becoming popular in Vienna at the time, so this marks him as a groundbreaker in my book. I would guess that Boccherini was a major influence on him, although AFAIK Bocc. didn't write any chamber works with keyboard.
          BTW, the sangria was excellente!

Sorrano,
          I saw that performed live by the Atlanta Symphony / Levi, it was the largest orchestra I have seen live, like 39 violins! The stage was overflowing, and it turned out a very powerful and moving work. Very nice!

Amalie,
          That is some intricate listening for early morning. Hard to get your mind around the whole conception. You should be sharp for the rest of the day now!

For me now, it is the Concerto in b minor for Cello & Orchestra - #2 - Op 104 - Dvorak. Yo Yo Ma, BPO/Maazel. Nice performance of a great work.

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I've been enjoying Mendelsshon's Violin concerto
            opus 64 .
            Pinchas Zukerman's dad got his mom out of Germany on a Russian troup train by playing this for the Russian officers.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

A whole bunch of Vivaldi Concertos played on authentic instruments by The English Concert / Trevor Pinnock - just excellent!
              More Italian music today with Paganini's String Quartets and the Violin Concertos 1 & 4.

Comment

Hildergard von Bingen: 'Sequentia, O nobilissima viriditas.

Tuma: Church sonata no.4
                Hipochondria Ensemble

Schubert: Der Hirt auf dem Fehen, D965
                Concertgebouw Orchestra

------------------

Comment

What I've got here for today is quite varied:

Mozart: Piano concertos no. 21 & 23 (only ones I got and definitely want more ).

Beethoven: Piano Concertos no. 4 & 5, and Piano Sonatas 16-18 & 30-32.

Mendelssohn: "scottish" symphony.

Comment

spacerl,
                    Delighted that you are discovering Mendelssohn. Such wonderful music! And probably the #2 VC of all time.

Pastrl,
                    Vivaldi AND Paganini! There is the Italian Connection for sure! I have heard that Pinnock plays those Vivaldi's very well. That will be a set to look into. Is the an Alphorn Concerto on there too?

Amalie,
                    Tell me about the Tuma. I have only heard church sonatas of Mozart and I have been wondering about the form. Mozart's are actually surprisingly tuneful and peppy, I wonder if this is a general thing or peculiar to him. How was Tuma's? Oddly, I am at an age where when I sit around with my friend, we compare the effects of aging on ourselves, and it could very well be called an "Hypochondria Ensemble"

atserri,
                    Well, that is sure a great lineup of listening! Isn't the Scottish just the best of Mendelssohn's symphonies? Other than the first movement of the Italian, the whole of the Scottich is just first rate!

For me, it is the symphonies #7 -10 of Michael Haydn. While not the equal of his big brother Joseph, nonetheless Michael wrote a wonderful, mainstream Classical symphony. Very entertaining.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorali:
                      A whole bunch of Vivaldi Concertos played on authentic instruments by The English Concert / Trevor Pinnock - just excellent!
                      More Italian music today with Paganini's String Quartets and the Violin Concertos 1 & 4.
                      I agree on the English Concert / Pinnock mark. What about the Paganini String Quartets?? Any reccomendation? I have the Salvatore Accardo's Paganini set and love every single sound it emanates.

Comment

spacerl,

atserri,
                        Well, that is sure a great lineup of listening! Isn't the Scottish just the best of Mendelssohn's symphonies? Other than the first movement of the Italian, the whole of the Scottich is just first rate!

Certainly, the Scottish is the only Mendelssohn's symphony I've listened and certainly makes you want more I'm afraid because I'm behaving quite symphonically last couple of weeks. I've listened more orchestral music in the last month than in 2 entire years (in which 5 instruments on the same piece have been the limit 95% of times ). And the starter were Rachmaninoff & Paganini concertos, then LvB 4th Piano Concerto, then all the other LvB Piano Concertos, then...

Anyway... Today's last incorporation: Mozart's sinfonie concertanti Kv. 297b & Kv 364.

Comment

Pastrl,
                          Vivaldi AND Paganini! There is the Italian Connection for sure! I have heard that Pinnock plays those Vivaldi's very well. That will be a set to look into. Is the an Alphorn Concerto on there too?

Gurn
                          No Alphorn there, but this week I heard a piece by Leopold Mozart where a Alphorn was included and it sounded really nice. I for my humble part have no Vivaldi better played than by them, imho.

Now LvB, Piano Sonata 14/1 - Dieter Zechlin and then the String Quartet after 14/1 - Suske Quartet

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 12-10-2004).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Amalie,
                            Tell me about the Tuma. I have only heard church sonatas of Mozart and I have been wondering about the form. Mozart's are actually surprisingly tuneful and peppy, I wonder if this is a general thing or peculiar to him. How was Tuma's? Oddly, I am at an age where when I sit around with my friend, we compare the effects of aging on ourselves, and it could very well be called an "Hypochondria Ensemble"

Yes Gurn, now you mention it, I can just imagine you with your friends all sitting around in your Bath chairs with your nurse in attendance. time for your nap dear

I am afraid I haven't heard Mozart's Church sonatas, but I do enjoy listening to Tuma's works.
                            Some information on Frantisek Ignac Tuma (1704-1774)
                            First, Tuma was a composer and conductor for patron Count F. Kinsky in Vienna, and later for Empress Elizabeth. In Prague, he was a singer and in Vienna he became a viola da Gamba virtuoso. In his work he combines Baroque and profound polyphony with early classical smoothness and a lightness of expression. Prevailing are his sacred works (masses, requiems, Magnificat, Responsoria, motets, psalms, Stabat Mater., However, he only wrote ten symphonies, a trio of sonatas, and orchestral scores. Many of Tuma's church compositions were known by Haydn and Mozart.
                            CD of Tuma's church sonatas http://www.musicabona.com./catalog/MAM147-2.html

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 12-10-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 12-15-2004).]

Comment

Jolly old Haydn: Surprise symphony, in G major / Academy of Ancient Music.

Beethoven: Bagatelle in C minor Wo052
                              Allegretto in C, Hess 69 / Olli Mustonen[piano].

------------------

Comment

Beethoven's "Dressler" variatons of 1882. It makes you wonder...

Comment

Working...
                                X