No announcement yet.

what are we listening too now??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a lot of time today for listening but I did catch this morning via radio Beethoven's "Coriolan" Overture Op 60 with conductor Klaus Tennstedt and the London Philharmonic.
    Later on today NPR is continuing it's complete series of Beethoven's piano sonatas with a performance by Natalie Zhu. She plays the Piano Sonata No. 17, Op. 31 No. 2, known as the "Tempest." Also on "Performance Today" The Berlin Philharmonic plays the Symphony No. 2 by Beethoven. Claudio Abbado conducts. And Beethoven's Symphony #4 is to be performed later so this looks like a Beethoven day!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Pastrl,
      And that Karajan is with the Berlin PO?? He must have been just a laddie back then! A treasure from Austria, I guess!

Joy,
      Ah, my favorite B overture! And the parade of sonatas continues too. Good week for you!

For me, it is Mozart's very first String Trio, in Bb K 271f. LAter he would go on to write on eof the very best masterpieces of the genre, K 563, but this earlier effort is pretty nice too. Grumiaux Trio.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurnrl
        Symphony #5 Op,67 is performed with the Wiener Philharmoniker (1948) and is very nice, but Op.92, #7 recorded 1941 has a very bad sound quality. Played with the Staatskapelle Berlin, so that concert must have been a pure Nazi event...

Antonio Vivaldi - Juditha Triumphans, Oratorio - Savaria Vocal Ensemble - Capella Savaria, McGegan

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

For me, it is Mozart's very first String Trio, in Bb K 271f. LAter he would go on to write on eof the very best masterpieces of the genre, K 563, but this earlier effort is pretty nice too. Grumiaux Trio.

Have you heard the much more recent (2000) performance of the K.563 by The Leopold String Trio on Hyperion?

Comment

Beethoven's violin sonata, 0p.12 no.1
            Matts Zetterqvist [violin]
            Matts Widlund [piano]

------------------
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~
            ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Pastrl,
              I can only suppose that you are correct in that. I am pretty sure that the reason the sound is bad is because it was taped from a radio broadcast, I know this is true with Furtwängler's 9th's from the war era, although they are surprisingly good given the conditions! And now you listen to singing, when you have all that fine chamber music! I just don't understand you sometimes...

Florestan,
              A hearty welcome to WAYLTN! PLeased to have you here. I have NOT heard the Florestans play K 563, but I would like to. This is one of my favorite pieces, as are string trios in general (have you heard any of Haydn's? Pity about the viola... ). The Grumiauxs have long been considered the top Mozart interpreters, but new blood in the arena is always welcome!

Amalie,
              Short list today, but a nice one! Are you off to take in the arts in your lovely city today? Enjoy!

For me, it is the lovely Concerto in D major or Cello & Orchestra - #2 - Hob VIIb:2 - Yo Yo Ma & the English CO. Wonderful work, love the cello, only makes me feel more keenly disappointed that Mozart & Beethoven neglected it for concerti!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Joy, I wish I had access to your radio station. It sounds like their selections are beter than what I am getting here.

Today started with Grieg's Piano Concerto--but only the finale.

Comment

Just started to listen to Godowsky's 53 studies on Chopin's etudes (hyperion, played by Marc Andre Hamelin) and I must say that I am amazed, because I hadn't heard Godowski compositions and IMHO certainly deserve careful listening, and also because he was self-taught!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                    [B]Joy, I wish I had access to your radio station. It sounds like their selections are beter than what I am getting here.

B]
                    Sorrano, if you're interested here is the site http://kbaq.rio.maricopa.edu/
                    over on the right click "on line listening"!
                    Today on the Mozart and his contemporaries hour they'll be playing Beethoven's "Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage".

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      They'll be playing Beethoven's "Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage."

That is an awesome little piece!!

"Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Well, I am now listening to 4 Concerti for Horn & Orchestra by Antonio Rosetti (1750-1792). Lovely works, honestly they are as good as Mozart's and Haydn's in the genre, which is to say, a lot better than most. This has been a great year of new discoveries for me, more new (to me) composers than I ever found in any previous year since my first one as an avid listener. The three top ones, who I strongly recommend to all of you, my friends, are:

Johann Nepomuk Hummel
                        Ludwig Spohr
                        Antonio Rosetti

Of course there are dozens of others of merit, but these three have given me more listening satisfaction than any others on my voyage of discovery. New year starting shortly. If it is as satisfactory as this last has been, I can't imagine the musical riches!

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          Well, I am now listening to 4 Concerti for Horn & Orchestra by Antonio Rosetti (1750-1792). Lovely works, honestly they are as good as Mozart's and Haydn's in the genre, which is to say, a lot better than most. This has been a great year of new discoveries for me, more new (to me) composers than I ever found in any previous year since my first one as an avid listener. The three top ones, who I strongly recommend to all of you, my friends, are:

Johann Nepomuk Hummel
                          Ludwig Spohr
                          Antonio Rosetti

Of course there are dozens of others of merit, but these three have given me more listening satisfaction than any others on my voyage of discovery. New year starting shortly. If it is as satisfactory as this last has been, I can't imagine the musical riches!

Gurnrl
                          You're right, that was indeed a great year full of wonderful musical surprises!!! Here my adds to your list:
                          -Martin Kraus
                          -Christosomo de Arriaga
                          -Anselm Hüttenbrenner
                          -and a lot of Amadeus

Right now I pushed for the 4th time the repeat button:
                          Johann Sebastian Bach - Coffee Cantata "Die Katze lässt das Mausen nicht"
                          Kammerorchester Berlin
                          What a splendid piece!!!

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 12-31-2004).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

.. as are string trios in general (have you heard any of Haydn's? Pity about the viola... ).

I guess you are referring to the fact that Haydn's String Trios (Hob.V) are for two violins and cello, not the usual string trio for violin, viola and cello. Luckily we have his Baryton trios (Hob.XI),arranged for violin (replacing the baryton),viola and cello. They are funny pieces, and not so difficult to play.

>The Grumiauxs have long been considered the top Mozart interpreters, but new blood in the arena is always welcome!

Yes, Arthur Grumiaux was considered as a first class Mozart interpreter. Did you know that he was a brilliant pianist as well as a violinist?

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                              Sorrano, if you're interested here is the site http://kbaq.rio.maricopa.edu/
                              over on the right click "on line listening"!
                              Today on the Mozart and his contemporaries hour they'll be playing Beethoven's "Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage".

Thank you! I am listening, now, to the Overture to Rienzi by Wagner.

Comment

For Xmas I got from my daughter (8 yrs):
                                The Most Frightening Music in the Universe. It has an interesting mix of everything from Bach toccata and fugue in d minor to Suite from Pyscho by Bernard Herrmann.

From my wife (age not available):
                                Maria Callas: Puccini Arias.

Little slices of heaven all on one disc.

I bought my wife a couple Blossom Dearie CDs. Verve is reissuing some of the origin albums that she did. Wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                                X