what are we listening too now??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amalie,
    Well, I actually began the day with the Missa Solemnis, so I needed the Sugar Plum Fairy to help me cool off a bit! I have heard elsewhere about the Venetian Christmas disk, my rule is if I read about it in two widely disparate places within 10 minutes of each other, it must be worth looking into!

Right now, it is the Symphony in C major with Violin Obligatto by Joseph Kraus. Wonderful work, sounds 30 years ahead of its time.
    Season's Greetings,

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Amazing bright blue sunny skies again today and we kick of with BEETHOVEN's Egmont Overture 0p.84 / London Philharmonic Orchestra /Sir Adrian Boult.

Then there is that beautful moment when Papageno finds his papagena.

Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa P a p a g e n a !

Are you really given to me now ?
      Now I really am given to you !
      So now be my darling little wife,
      So now be the little dove of my heart!

What a pleasure that will be,
      When the Gods remember us,
      Crown our love with children
      Such dear little children.

First a little Papageno
      Then a little Papagena
      Then another Papageno
      Then another Papagena

GIBBONS Orlando, A Good Sausage
      Deller Consort. From food wine and song.

Then some for Gurn,

ANON: Happiness is a full belly !
      New London Consort.

ANON: The Grandest Banquet
      Orlando Consort.

ANON: Adiue ma tres belle Maistresse
      Gillels Binchois Ensemble.

TELEMANN: Overture (Suite) in E minor.
      Concentus Musicus Vienna.

BACH: Koffee Kantate. no.211.
      Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment.

------------------
      ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Right now, it is the Symphony in C major with Violin Obligatto by Joseph Kraus. Wonderful work, sounds 30 years ahead of its time.

Wow, a Swedish composer!! I thought that only I listened to Swedish composers!!

"Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

After a most beautiful Christmas and listening to some wonderful renditions of Handel's Messiah and "For Unto Us a Child is Born" I'm ready for some Beethoven. On the menu today is his Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat Op 73 with Conductor Marek Janowski and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra with Gerhard Oppitz, piano.

Merry Christmas all and I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas day!

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Amalie,
            Indeed, between Telemann and Anon, you have hit upon the two most prolific composers in Western Music! And the Coffee Cantata AND The Magic Flute!! Excellent Boxer Day listening.

Hofrat,
            Even though Kraus was German, it is hard to think of him as other than Swedish. For that one shining moment, I think Sweden was on the cutting edge of musical advancement. Chronologically Kraus was Classical, but one need only listen to his music to know he was among the very earliest Romantics!

Joy,
            I bet Oppitz does justice to the Emperor, too! I like his playing.
            Started off Sunday in perfect order with the "Ode to You", BTW, but got slightly derailed when the golf course was so frozen they wouldn't let me play for damaging the grass, so home early, and it is now the Symphony in e minor - #9 - Op 95 - "From the New World", Antonin Dvorak. Berlin PO/Kubelik. What is it about 9th symphonies?

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Brahms: Warum ist das Licht gegeben dem Muhseligen, 0p 74./ Greg Vocalis.

Brahms: Variations on a theme by Haydn,

Joseph Martin Kraus, String Quartet no.4 in D, / Lysell String Quartet.
              A beautiful piece !

Joseph Martin Kraus, often called the (Swedish Mozart), can be considered the principle figure in the court of Gustav 111 of Sweden, whose idiosyncratic love for the theatre led to the creation of a unique cultural milieu. Kraus, born in Germany and trianed by members of the Mannheim orchestra was a member of the Sturm und Drang Hainbund and later achieved a considerable reputation for his music, and pedagogocal interests.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Joseph Martin Kraus, String Quartet no.4 in D, / Lysell String Quartet.
                A beautiful piece !

Joseph Martin Kraus, often called the (Swedish Mozart), can be considered the principle figure in the court of Gustav 111 of Sweden, whose idiosyncratic love for the theatre led to the creation of a unique cultural milieu. Kraus, born in Germany and trained by members of the Mannheim orchestra was a member of the Sturm und Drang Hainbund and later achieved a considerable reputation for his music, and pedagogocal interests.

Gustaf III was assassinated at a masked ball in 1792 and was the inspiration of Verdi's opera "Masked Ball."

The throne passed to Gustaf IV who was not an art lover like his father. Gustaf IV actually ordered the razing of the opera house, but fortunately was dethroned before anyone implimented the order.

I am personally involved in an effort to revive the symphonies of another Swedish composer, Joachim Eggert (1779-1813).

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:

Gustaf III was assassinated at a masked ball in 1792 and was the inspiration of Verdi's opera "Masked Ball."

The throne passed to Gustaf IV who was not an art lover like his father. Gustaf IV actually ordered the razing of the opera house, but fortunately was dethroned before anyone implimented the order.

I am personally involved in an effort to revive the symphonies of another Swedish composer, Joachim Eggert (1779-1813).

That is a fascinating and out of the way fact about Gustav III assassination being the inspiration behind Verdi's Opera,'Masked Ball', at least I wasn't aware of the fact.
                  I must confess to not having heard Joachim Eggert Symphonies, I am intrigued how you propose to bring about a revival of this somewhat neglected composers work.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 12-27-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

I must confess to not having heard Joachim Eggert Symphonies, I am intrigued how you propose to bring about a revival of this somewhat neglected composers work.

It certainly is not an easy task. The first thing is to publish Eggert's scores. I have found a publisher and we hope to have the C-minor Symphony done by spring 2005.

The second thing is to find performance opportunities. The Marrowstone Festival nearly put an Eggert symphony on their 2004 program. 5 European orchestras are considering performing Eggert.

And third, we hope to find recording opportunities. Believe it or not, a European recording company is interested in Eggert and is reviewing 2 Eggert scores for possible recording.

Comment

This morning I listened to the Presto Mysterioso from R.V Williams 5th Symphony. But what I heard announced initially was Pretzel Mysterioso and I couldn't figure out what food had to do with his symphony.

Comment

Very funny Sorrano! You must have still been asleep this morning when you heard that!

On NPR public radio they are playing the complete set of piano sonatas by Beethoven on "Performance Today" along with some excellent and interesting commentary. Tonight's performance is by pianist Murray Perahia. Perahia was chosen to be the editor of a newly researched Beethoven edition for the German publisher Henle. And will play a concert performance by Perahia of the Piano Sonata No. 16, Op. 31 No. 1. Yesterday it was Beethoven piano sonata Op. 49. Kirill Gerstein played the Piano Sonata, Op. 49, No. 1, and Louis Lortie played the Piano Sonata, Op. 49, No. 2.
                        Excellent program for anyone who can tune in!

------------------

Comment

Sorrano,
                          Well, with RVW, it could have been so!

Joy,
                          Hey, that sounds great! I like Perahia, he does a good Mozart, I bet he will also do a good B. And also a nice idea by PT. They used to be on here at 7:00 PM and I never missed it. Now it is on at 10:00 AM and very much harder for me to get to hear them, only once in a great while. Pity, I think it is one of the best shows on NPR, introduced me to many new musics that I hadn't thought to find for myself.

Right now, it is 6 symphonies (#'s 7-12) by Jiri Benda (1722-1795) very famous and highly respected in his time. And to hear these works one understands why, highly interesting. So much music...

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Great listening for you Joy on NPR,

A gorgeous sunny afternoon here with the sunshine streaming through the windows,
                            listening to Lunch time Concert with
                            beautiful Beethoven - String Quartets 0p.135 and 0p.131.
                            Performed by the Hagen Quartet.

Earlier played B's ravishing Quintet for piano and winds 0p.16. / Ensemble Wien-Berlin.
                            Thankyou Ludwig for enriching my life with your wonderful music
                            ------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 12-28-2004).]

Comment

LvB - The Creatures of Prometheus, Ballet Op.43

Comment

I was shopping today and found this interesting piece for only Euro 2,22

Herbert von Karajan conducting LvB's Symphonies #5 & 7. Recordings from 1948 & 1941 (Centurion Classics)
                                a nice journey through time indeed

[This message has been edited by Pastorali (edited 12-29-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                                X