Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dussek

Hi everybody,

Just wondering, what are your opinions of this, sadly, forgotten composer? There are some real gems amongst his output. The sonata op. 35, no. 3 in particular.

Those who have seen 'The Golden Age of the Piano' will know he was the first pianist in history to sit with his profile towards the audience. Why? Not for audiophonic reasons regarding the angle of the piano lid but because he had such a beautiful profile!

Although Beethoven is so great it is sad that that his power simple overshadows his contempories.

P.S. Does anybody have an mp3 of the sonata op. 35, no. 5? I play it but I like collecting recordings of obscure pieces.

Cheers.

I presume you mean Op.35nr3 - There is a recording of it at Amazon and an mp3 sample of the first mov
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...875657-7729220

This work was supposed to have influenced Beethoven's Pathetique sonata.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yeah, op. 35, no. 3.

Bit of a typo there.

Thanks very much. I have that CD on order now.

Wonderful piece. I love programming uncommon works in my recitals. 99% of my repetoire in of 'unknown' works.

Also, what are people's opinions about Onslow? He was given the name 'The French Beethoven'. His Grande sonata for Piano op. 2 is wonderful if a little overblown. Great stuff!

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Scriabin:
        Yeah, op. 35, no. 3.

Thanks very much. I have that CD on order now.

Wonderful piece. I love programming uncommon works in my recitals. 99% of my repetoire in of 'unknown' works.

Also, what are people's opinions about Onslow? He was given the name 'The French Beethoven'. His Grande sonata for Piano op. 2 is wonderful if a little overblown. Great stuff!

I have on CD several works by Dussek:
        1. Piano concerti (Capriccio 10 444)
        2. Piano sonatas vol. 1 (DIS-80110)
        3. Piano sonatas vol. 2 (DIS-80125)

As for Onslow, may I recommend his symphonies that have been recorded on the ASV label under the baton of Stephen Sanderling.

BTW, Adolf Fredrik Lindblad was called the Swedish Beethoven, although I dislike such distictions. May I recommend his 2 symphonies (Marco Polo 8.225105).
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Hi,

It is such a shame that these great men have been forgotten. I agree with you about applying dubious titles to people.

You wouldn't happen to be able to send me the mp3 files of the sonata op. 35, no. 3 would you? I have the CD on order but I won't get it for about 4 weeks! I can't wait that long!

my e-mail is

banana-god@excite.com

Cheers,

Scriabin

Comment

Originally posted by Scriabin:

You wouldn't happen to be able to send me the mp3 files of the sonata op. 35, no. 3 would you? I have the CD on order but I won't get it for about 4 weeks! I can't wait that long!

Oh, I know the feeling! Although the opus 35/3 sonata is on the CD's that I have, I have no way of converting it to MP3.
            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:
              Oh, I know the feeling! Although the opus 35/3 sonata is on the CD's that I have, I have no way of converting it to MP3.
              Sorry too butt in like this, but I happen to have a program *quite small* which can take tracks of cd's and make them into mp3 file format, I could send it to you if you'd like..my emailadress should be on the profile.

Regards,
              Ruud

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                Sorry too butt in like this, but I happen to have a program *quite small* which can take tracks of cd's and make them into mp3 file format, I could send it to you if you'd like..my emailadress should be on the profile.

Regards,
                Ruud

I think that there are a lot of freeware/shareware programs out there, too, that can convert to mp3's and are not hard to use.

Comment

Go to
                  www.download.com

Look under audio.

You will find something there.

wmv. format is also ok. (Windows media player can convert to this. Just go to 'rip'.)

Cheers.

Comment

At MozartForum there is a Who's Who section with a 3 1/2 min Dussek clip from Op77.

There are also clips from several other lesser known's if you browse through our Who's Who
                    http://www.mozartforum.com/Whos%20who.htm

Steve
                    webmaster@mozartforum.com

[This message has been edited by SR (edited 12-29-2004).]
                    www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Thanks very much for the link. Great site.

I will be performing the Dussek sonata, along with a programme of other obscure composers during the middle of next year.

Comment

Working...
                      X