Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC No. 4 cadenza used by Gilels and Brendel

Hi,

I am trying to find out who composed the cadenza used by Gilels and Brendel in the first movement of Piano Concerto No. 4. According to http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...al-su3582.html

"The cadenza in I is Beethoven’s stormier one (rarely employed except by Gieseking, Gilels, Brendel, and few others)."

However, when I bought the sheet music online, the two cadenzas enclosed did not appear to match the one played by Gilels and Brendel.

I would appreciate any assistance that can be offered on identifying the composer and locating the score.

thank you!

Beethoven wrote two cadenzas for the 1st mov of the 4th - the first is in 6/8 time and the 2nd in Common time. On my recording it is the 2nd one that Brendel uses - I think Gilells uses the same one.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Beethoven wrote two cadenzas for the 1st mov of the 4th - the first is in 6/8 time and the 2nd in Common time. On my recording it is the 2nd one that Brendel uses - I think Gilells uses the same one.

Thank you for your quick response!

On the sheet music that I downloaded, the first cadenza is in 6/8 time, and it is the one used by Fleischer, for example. But the second cadenza, which is in common time, does not appear to match what Gilels and Brendel play. Maybe I am illiterate.

If you don't mind, perhaps I could send you the score. Or do you know where I can download the score of the 2nd cadenza?

Comment

Originally posted by buttercup:

If you don't mind, perhaps I could send you the score. Or do you know where I can download the score of the 2nd cadenza?
        Well let me know where you downloaded it from and I'll see if it is the Beethoven 2nd cadenza.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well let me know where you downloaded it from and I'll see if it is the Beethoven 2nd cadenza.

It's a paid download: http://everynote.com/piano.show/86.note

I can e-mail you a copy.

thanks for your help!

Comment

It's a paid download: http://everynote.com/piano.show/86.note

I can e-mail you a copy.

thanks for your help!
            Yes send me a copy and I'll check it out!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven wrote two cadenzas for the 1st mov of the 4th - the first is in 6/8 time and the 2nd in Common time.

My Dover Miniature Score (ISBN 0-486-41398-5) has the abovementioned cadenzas plus the third movement cadenza. I can always photocopy it for you and snail-mail it to you (sorry, Santa did not bring me the scanner I asked for).

As a curiosity, you might want to hear Brahms' cadenza to Beethoven's 4th piano concerto on Naxos CD 8.553426 as well as Brahms' cadenza to Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto.

"Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:
                My Dover Miniature Score (ISBN 0-486-41398-5) has the abovementioned cadenzas plus the third movement cadenza. I can always photocopy it for you and snail-mail it to you (sorry, Santa did not bring me the scanner I asked for).

As a curiosity, you might want to hear Brahms' cadenza to Beethoven's 4th piano concerto on Naxos CD 8.553426 as well as Brahms' cadenza to Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto.

Thanks for offering, but no need - I do have all these cadenzas, I was just going to check out the cadenza mentioned by buttercup to see if it is the 2nd by Beethoven.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

But the second cadenza, which is in common time, does not appear to match what Gilels and Brendel play.
                  I've looked at the score you sent me and the 2nd cadenza is Beethoven's cadenza for the last movement. Beethoven wrote 2 cadenzas for the first movement and the one on your Brendel and Gilels recording is the 2nd of these.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you, Peter, for your help!

Comment

Working...
                    X