• Show
Clear All

How About This!

From Google news:

Radio 3 clears the air for Beethoven

Charlotte Higgins, arts correspondent
    Friday December 17, 2004
    The Guardian

Musical marathon ... Radio 3 will be devoting 136 hours to Beethoven next June.

Every note Beethoven wrote will be heard during a marathon devoted to the composer on Radio 3.
    The schedules will be cleared for a week in June, the Radio 3 airwaves will be unsullied by music by any other composer, and listeners will be treated to such little-known delights as Beethoven's 100 or so settings of Scottish, Irish and Welsh folksongs.

Over the six days and nights some of Beethoven's works will even be heard twice: "There are about 100 hours of Beethoven's music, but we are devoting 136 hours to him," said Radio 3's controller, Roger Wright.

According to Mr Wright, Beethoven's range and diversity of output make his work a natural candidate for the completist treatment. It will also provide a unique chance - for those listeners brave enough to undertake the entire marathon - to assess the composer's whole output.

"There are so many mountaintops in Beethoven that will reveal themselves more fully if we put the valleys in between," he said. "There will be a learning journey that will take people through pieces they didn't even know existed."

Bach, Schumann and Brahms will be given the complete-works treatment in future - as will Anton Webern, though his entire oeuvre will take just one day to broadcast.

-----------------------------------------

And here is a similar news item:

BBC Radio 3 to clear schedule for a week of Beethoven

Staff, Brand Republic 11:00 17-12-2004
    LONDON - BBC Radio 3 is to clear an entire week's schedule for 'The Beethoven Experience', which will see it air the entire work of the composer, marking the first time the station has staged such an event.

The Beethoven week will broadcast the entire works of Ludwig Van Beethoven. It will range from the complete string quartets and symphonies to lesser-known works such as the folk songs and the cantatas.

Running over six consecutive days and nights from June 5 2005, 'The Beethoven Experience' will give listeners an opportunity to hear the full repertoire, including many different interpretations, in place of usual Radio 3 programming.

As well as regular presenters, the week will see contributions from artists led by Alfred Brendel, Sir Roger Norrington and violinist Peter Cropper of the Lindsay Quartet.

Actors will take part in the week as well, with John Hurt reading the composer's letters and John Suchet extracts from his trilogy on Beethoven's life, 'The Last Master'.

Roger Wright, controller of Radio 3, said: "This innovative approach to programming that Radio 3 can uniquely deliver builds on the award-winning success of our special evenings and seasons such those dedicated to Berlioz, Walton, Janacek and Dallapiccola."

The week will include live music-making with performances from the Lindsay Quartet and a special performance of 'Wellington's Victory'.

Other highlights on Radio 3 in 2005 include special evenings dedicated to the work of Jacqueline du Pre on what would have been her 60th birthday, as well as a week-long season celebrating the works of Leonard Bernstein.
    --------------------------------------
    So everybody get your recorders ready!

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 12-17-2004).]

Originally posted by Michael:
    So everybody get your recorders ready!
    Yes indeed - what a wonderful opportunity!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I was beginning to applaud the BBC for this special recognition of Beethoven until I discovered they are to do the same for some other much lesser composers in the future!
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        I was beginning to applaud the BBC for this special recognition of Beethoven until I discovered they are to do the same for some other much lesser composers in the future!
        Ah, c'mon Rod - give a bit of credit where it's due! The BBC are going to give the complete treatment to three other composers in 2005: Bach, Brahms and Webern. It will take only one day to deal with poor Webern's complete output (wasn't he accidentally shot or something?) but Bach is going to take a fortnight easily. At least they started out with the right guy.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 12-20-2004).]

Comment

Oooo Rats!! I wanted to be there so bad...lucky ducks.

Comment

It will take only one day to deal with poor Webern's complete output (wasn't he accidentally shot or something?)

Yes poor Webern was shot by an American soldier for venturing into a no go area by mistake near Salzburg shortly before the end of the war in 1945.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 12-20-2004).]
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Let us not overlook this (New York) Seasonal Tradition!!

Bach Festival 2004
              12/22/04 - 12/31/04

"WKCR is pleased to announce the 2004 Bach Festival, airing from 9:30am on Wednesday, December 22, thru Midnight on Friday, December 31.

"As one of the most celebrated and anticipated traditions in New York City radio, this holiday centerpiece will provide listeners the opportunity to enjoy ten days of the major works of Johann Sebastian Bach, his less well-known oeuvre, and even (briefly) the creations of Bach’s descendants. Keyboard collections, organ fantasies, baroque suites for cello and violin, orchestral pieces from cantatas to concerti, and the monumental choral works are just some of the many compositions that will be airing.

"In the classic style of WKCR’s Bach Festival, we will present these works alongside historical commentary, discussions about Bach’s life and career, and the viewpoints and experiences of Bach musicians today. As one of the most influential figures in all of western music, the festival will also encompass masterpiece recordings from the timeless to the obscure."

Cocchini

Comment

.. At least they started out with the right guy.

Michael

That is true, but you will admit this is an odd collection of composers. I am not certain how it came to be decided that these guys in particular were to be given the 'full treatment' as opposed to some others. Perhaps it's to do with what recordings the Beeb has available in it's archives!?

Rod

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  That is true, but you will admit this is an odd collection of composers. I am not certain how it came to be decided that these guys in particular were to be given the 'full treatment' as opposed to some others. Perhaps it's to do with what recordings the Beeb has available in it's archives!?

Rod

I'd suggest they are taking one composer from a particular era, Baroque, Classical, Romantic and modern - In choosing just one day of Webern over the more represenative Schoenberg I think they are being quite kind! As to choosing Bach over Handel and Brahms over Wagner, could it be that they decided it wouldn't be fair to represent lengthy operatic productions in their entirety on the radio?

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    I'd suggest they are taking one composer from a particular era, Baroque, Classical, Romantic and modern - In choosing just one day of Webern over the more represenative Schoenberg I think they are being quite kind! As to choosing Bach over Handel and Brahms over Wagner, could it be that they decided it wouldn't be fair to represent lengthy operatic productions in their entirety on the radio?

I wonder if Stravinsky would have been a better 20th Century choice, inasmuch as his music runs the gamut of styles of that Century more than most other composers.

Comment

From a U.S. perspective, this would be a gutsy programming move. Most of our classical music stations stay away from complete symphonies and concertos and feel the need to throw in a few Strauss waltzes when things start to get a little too heavy. These are the public, non-commercial stations I am talking about. I won't even go into commercial classical stations.

Comment

Our public classical station is a very good one indeed as they always play the complete symphonies, sonatas, concertos, etc. They would never just play a single movement. Also they have excellent commentaries and you learn a lot from them.

------------------
                        'Truth and beauty joined'
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                        X