Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Op. 121b

Hello,
    I think the piece, "Opferlied," is beautiful. Doesn't get the recognition it deserves. What do you all think?

Yes this is a beautiful piece in Beethoven's 'religious, contemplative' key of E major (others in this mood are slow mov of Razumovsky quartet no.2, variation theme from Op.109, Sehnsucht WoO146 and Abenlied unterm gesttirnten Himmel WoO150).

Beethoven was much drawn to Matthison's poem Opferlied (Sacrificial song) and set it several times (1822 for Soprano, alto, tenor soloists, chorus, clarinets, horns & strings & in 1794, revised 1801 for piano and voice. He also used the closing words for two canons of 1823 and 1825.
    There are similarities in the opening of the Op.121b setting to the Rondo aria 'Per pieta' from Mozart's Cosi fan tutti.

Here is a translation of the poem:

The flame blazes, soft light
    shines through the dusky grove of oaks
    and sacramental fumes pour forth their scents,
    O incline to me a gracious ear
    and receive with pleasure, O highest one,
    a young man's offering.

Be always the shield and defender of freedom!
    May your life spirit breathe gently
    through air, earth, fire and flood!
    Grant me, in youth and old age,
    at the paternal hearth, O Zeus,
    both the fair and the good!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Beethoven1:
      Hello,
      I think the piece, "Opferlied," is beautiful. Doesn't get the recognition it deserves. What do you all think?
      I agree, I looked for quite a while for a recording of this and was most impressed on hearing. I can also mention in the same context the Eligischer Gesang, op.118, which is similarly ravishing and similarly unknown.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 12-20-2004).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
      X