Your Favourite Beethoven Symphony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite symphony is: All Of Them!

But ok, for real, I will have to say the Third, especially for the first movement. (Played right, of course, meaning more like Szell's approach than Bernstein's and Bohm's, etc.) it's revolutionary, hard-hitting, masterful; like nothing else in symphonic literature up to that day.

by the way, for those who claim to like the Fourth less, I recommend Bernstein and the NYPO's performance on Sony. it may change your mind.

Comment

Op.68 "Pastoral". No one, but no one, esp. Berlioz , could make a storm sound so real with such a limited string section. Which is part of the magic. Total economy of expression. No flab.

Speaking of which, we are coming up to that anniversary - December 22nd, 2004 will be the 196th birthday of the greatest premiere concert ever given, of which Op.68 was a part. Will someone please be brave enough to recreate it? No, not the arctic temperature (must've been a problem with the central heating ), audience apathy or hungry musicians (must've been a problem with the central eating ), but a full-blown TV extravaganza bringing to the fore an era of ...............come back, Euphony131.............(you take over).........

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
        [B]
        Speaking of which, we are coming up to that anniversary - December 22nd, 2004 will be the 196th birthday of the greatest premiere concert ever given, of which Op.68 was a part. Will someone please be brave enough to recreate it? B]
        I think there was a recreation of it a year or so ago in Vienna? It was in the middle of summer though and I think Peter attended it, if I remember correctly (and if I am talking about the same concert).

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
          I think there was a recreation of it a year or so ago in Vienna? It was in the middle of summer though and I think Peter attended it, if I remember correctly (and if I am talking about the same concert).

Michael

Yes indeed Michael, I was fortunate in attending this famous concert back in August last year, an amazing experience sitting in the actual Theater an Der Wien that witnessed so many Beethoven premieres -I did however wonder why they didn't wait for Dec 22nd 2008 unless they're planning to do it again!
          www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/viennatrip.html

------------------
          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 12-11-2004).]
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Great feature, Peter. Many thanks. I had no idea!

Comment

Working...
            X