Construction of a House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Construction of a House?

First, let me say I don't very much about classical music. My kids and I were listening to the radio and heard a Beethoven piece that we really liked. We think they called it "For construction of a House," that was written for the opening of a new theater (concert hall?). I would like to get a recording of this song. Am I close on the title? Can anyone recommend a CD that includes this piece?

Wendi,

The "Consecration of the House" Overture was composed for the opening of a theatre in Vienna. It's about ten minutes long, purely orchestral, and a real ripper. By far my favorite recording is Leonard Bernstein's with the New York Philharmonic on Sony. Also on the CD is a good version of the Violin Concerto, and an unbeatable performance of the "Leonore Overture No. 3."

Happy listening,

cg

Comment

You can tell your kids, too, that the C of H overture is a nice example of orchestral fuguing. And, the overture is just the opening bit to an entire suite of pieces written for the consecration. If you're interested in the rest of the incidental music under the title of C of H, Deutsche Grammophon has a disc of Beethoven's incidental music conducted by Claudio Abbado, released about five years ago.

Comment

I tried ordering the Deutsche Grammophon/Abbado recording two years ago, & was told that it had been deleted

------------------
        Peter (PDG)

Comment

Originally posted by wendi:
          First, let me say I don't very much about classical music. My kids and I were listening to the radio and heard a Beethoven piece that we really liked.
          I first heard this overture on the radio also, and my reaction was the same - wow! such lively and uplifting music. You could try the complete overtures with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe - Nikolaus Harnoncourt - Teldec 0630-13140-2.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

First, let me say I don't very much about classical music. My kids and I were listening to the radio and heard a Beethoven piece that we really liked. We think they called it "For construction of a House," that was written for the opening of a new theater (concert hall?). I would like to get a recording of this song. Am I close on the title? Can anyone recommend a CD that includes this piece?
            I can give a super duper recommendation by the Hanover Band on Nimbus Records. It's only available as part of a boxed set here in the UK which includes the Symphonies and the Missa Solemnis, but you can buy this set here for little more than the price of a single disk by one of the big labels. The Bands period instruments give a true Handelian grandure to this piece which was Beethoven's tribute to his favourite composer (it makes concious use of Handel material).

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 02-26-2001).]
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I'm surprised you were unable to locate it, PDG. Did you try overseas? If you really want it but can't get it, maybe I should burn a copy for you and mail it. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
                I'm surprised you were unable to locate it, PDG. Did you try overseas? If you really want it but can't get it, maybe I should burn a copy for you and mail it. Let me know.
                Everything`s going my way today. I just successfully steered Beethoven to victory in a fictitious boxing match with Elvis Presley on another forum - it was Ludwig`s famous knockout blow, the "Hammerklavier", which finally put paid to he who dared to call himself The King!

Serge, given recent events, I must say I am surprised by your kind offer, & I thank you. I shall email you.

------------------
                Peter (PDG)

Comment

First, let me say I don't very much about classical music. My kids and I were listening to the radio and heard a Beethoven piece that we really liked.
                  Welcome aboard! Always nice to see new converts to the Master! Looks like you're in good hands. Please post anytime for any questions! We're all "apprentices" in one sense or another. I know I am!

Comment

Holy cow! It's been ages since I've listened to this piece!( Just listened to portions right now.) I'd totally forgotten how beautiful and majestic it is! WOW!

The Chorus with Soprano section is especially affecting and the words -- Whoa!:

Chorus: "Where pulses youthfully race, life enters, floating in dance."

Chorus: "In our hearts there is innocence and youth; dying is itself a leap into repose."

Ok, I got some neophyte questions for you guys:

First, in the Turkish March section (taken from The Ruins of Athens which he did previously) -- why is it this piece sounds so familiar to me??? Was the melody used in the Choral Fantasy? Blast! I can't place it! Or is it just some sort of trick of my mind? For that matter, the rhythm of the Chorus with Soprano section is also eeriely familiar -- maybe I had too many mushrooms or something?

Second, how do you guys (those who don't speak German) deal with foreign text that is sung? Do you just memorize the text then listen? Or do you actually follow the text as its sung? Or neither? When I was younger I was happy to just hear the sounds, but nowadays I also want to know exactly what's being said, but this not at all easy to do. I mean it can actually detract from the listening experience when you're so focused on "understanding." Anyone?

PS -- Thanks Wendi for re-introducing me to this piece!

Comment

Originally posted by euphony131:

Ok, I got some neophyte questions for you guys:

First, in the Turkish March section (taken from The Ruins of Athens which he did previously) -- why is it this piece sounds so familiar to me???
                      In Latin-American countries there was a comic Mexican TV program for children about a boy who lived in a barrel called “El Chavo”. The show started in the 70’s and became a great success up to the point of that still today is often on the screen here. It’s funny but when PDG said he always “listen” Billy Joel while listening the Pathetique sonata I recalled myself remembering this pathetique show while listening the Turkish March!!!

Buy this before saying you don't like Mahler:
                      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001G96/qid=983416747/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/104-8436844-5169509
                      You'll thank me later...

Comment

Working...
                      X