Best Symphony Recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Symphony Recordings

I'm somewhat of a seasoned Beethoven fan. Still, i'd like to hear suggestions on your favorite recordings of the symphonies, especially as it deals with period performance vs. standard (if that means anything anymore) or what you consider the 'right' approaches for each individual work.

For period performances I'd go with Franz Brüggen, The Orchestra of the 18th century -I don't know if you heard his excellent account of the Violin concerto featured on our mp3 page last week. I also generally like Eliot Gardner's version, though I do find his 9th 1st movement disconcerting(despite the fact it is Beethoven's metronome markings).

On modern instuments Günter Wand/ North German Radio Symphony Orchestra gives excellent performances, though for the 5th, Carlos Kleiber takes some beating. Karl Bohm/Vienna Philharmonic do a great no.6 and Christoph von Dohnanyi/Cleveland Orchestra 9th is well worth hearing.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      For period performances I'd go with Franz Brüggen, The Orchestra of the 18th century -I don't know if you heard his excellent account of the Violin concerto featured on our mp3 page last week. I also generally like Eliot Gardner's version, though I do find his 9th 1st movement disconcerting(despite the fact it is Beethoven's metronome markings).

On modern instuments Günter Wand/ North German Radio Symphony Orchestra gives excellent performances, though for the 5th, Carlos Kleiber takes some beating. Karl Bohm/Vienna Philharmonic do a great no.6 and Christoph von Dohnanyi/Cleveland Orchestra 9th is well worth hearing.

Alas I think Bruggen's set has long been deleted from the catalogue, together with the Hanover Band set that has also been featured here. So that leaves Norrington, Hogwood and Gardiner's. The first two of these are available at budget price here in London and represent good value, though neither is a 'perfect' set. Gardiner's is still expensive and the recordings not particularly worthy of the extra bucks if you can get one of the other sets.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Alas I think Bruggen's set has long been deleted from the catalogue, together with the Hanover Band set that has also been featured here. So that leaves Norrington, Hogwood and Gardiner's. The first two of these are available at budget price here in London and represent good value, though neither is a 'perfect' set. Gardiner's is still expensive and the recordings not particularly worthy of the extra bucks if you can get one of the other sets.

I like Gardiner's a lot because above all they can cope with Beethoven's metronome markings. Between Norrington and Hogwood I like Hogwood better. His AAM is not that great technically but he is more relaxed and natural. I find Norrington to be too mechanic.

------------------
        "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
        "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Working...
        X