Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Coriolan Overture Op.62

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

A good effort this. I have a few recordings of this overture on authentic instruments but, all things considered, the Hanover Band's recording is the best.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 11-30-2004).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Great recording, even though I'm still on the Hogwood side. I think Hogwood's has more depth and power. But that's me, I like him .

------------------
      "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

I listen to this overture, then listen to Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet, I once again realise the unparallable power and depth of Beethoven - his music is timeless, for me.

Comment

Rod,
          Thanks, I have always liked the Goodman "Coriolan", I think it is one of the best, lots of power and pathos. The notes were interesting too, it does help to have some idea of the programme when listening to program music!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
            Great recording, even though I'm still on the Hogwood side. I think Hogwood's has more depth and power. But that's me, I like him .

Well i have the Hogwood too from the Symphonies set, but his Beethoven is characteristicaly 'wooden' to me in these recordings, although he has some good moments too. But i am won over by the Nimbus sound in any case here, perhaps this doesn't come across on the mp3.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 12-01-2004).]

Comment

Very good. But I wonder how much of this is down to the spaciousness of the recording & skill of the engineer. Nimbus' recordings of the Schubert symphonies by the Hanover Band is equally impressive (again period instruments). Modern orchestras are, by and large, recorded too closely for my liking. This Coriolan has been allowed to breathe. Keep the microphones at bay!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                Very good. But I wonder how much of this is down to the spaciousness of the recording & skill of the engineer. Nimbus' recordings of the Schubert symphonies by the Hanover Band is equally impressive (again period instruments). Modern orchestras are, by and large, recorded too closely for my liking. This Coriolan has been allowed to breathe. Keep the microphones at bay!
                A recording that has a good sound quality is always down to the skills of the engineer, even in a good accoustic setting. I agree about the microphones.

------------------

Comment

Remarkably dramatic recording! I found it so, because I expected the "original instrument" sounds to be less sonorous and commanding than what our "modern" ears have become accustomed to when hearing this music either "live" in the concert hall with a 100-plus-musician orchestra, or on ones "doctored" CD recording of the work.

Comment

Originally posted by mayadas:
                    Remarkably dramatic recording! I found it so, because I expected the "original instrument" sounds to be less sonorous and commanding than what our "modern" ears have become accustomed to when hearing this music either "live" in the concert hall with a 100-plus-musician orchestra, or on ones "doctored" CD recording of the work.
                    You don't need a 100+ orchestra for Beethoven, half that would do for me easily. I think you get a better instrumental balance and dynamism with smaller forces, and a more colourful and engaging sound with period instruments.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      You don't need a 100+ orchestra for Beethoven, half that would do for me easily. I think you get a better instrumental balance and dynamism with smaller forces, and a more colourful and engaging sound with period instruments.

I would agree with that and also far more clarity with less use of vibrato.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                        I would agree with that and also far more clarity with less use of vibrato.

Of course I agree, and you get even more clarity if the violins are divided left and right of the conductor, which in my opinon should always be the case.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                          Of course I agree, and you get even more clarity if the violins are divided left and right of the conductor, which in my opinon should always be the case.

A good practice Kleiber did a lot. And he always got wonderful results of that.
                          I second you on that entirely.

------------------
                          "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
                          "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Working...
                          X