Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

name of 5th symphony

please,

I know the answer will be sipmle but what is the 5th symphony commonly know as?

Thanks

Alan

Originally posted by alan ballard:
    please,

I know the answer will be sipmle but what is the 5th symphony commonly know as?

Thanks

Alan
    The work has no official title and is either referred to as the 5th or the C minor symphony. Out of Beethoven's 9 Symphonies only 3 are named - no.3 'Eroica', No.6 'Pastoral' and no.9 'Choral'.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

From a purely personal point of view, I think it would be fitting for classical music lovers in the 21st century to give a short pithy name to perhaps the most celebrated symphony ever written. I'd like to suggest "Victory", because "V" brings to mind - to those who still remember their Morse code (three dots and a dash) - the Victory motif, with its three short notes followed by a long one, that was known throughout Europe during World War II.

Comment

I believe that, for a time at least, it had the name "Fate" appended to it.

Comment

Indeed, Onceupon. "Thus fate knocks at the door". So said Beethoven, and he never really loosens his vice-like grip in this work. Monumental without relief until we listen to the 6th, premiered the same evening. Oh, to have been there. Actually, I think the 6th was played first that night (22nd December, 1808) and for a short while the two Opp. were numbered the wrong way around.......)

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
            Indeed, Onceupon. "Thus fate knocks at the door". So said Beethoven, and he never really loosens his vice-like grip in this work. Monumental without relief until we listen to the 6th, premiered the same evening. Oh, to have been there. Actually, I think the 6th was played first that night (22nd December, 1808) and for a short while the two Opp. were numbered the wrong way around.......)
            According to Schindler Beethoven said this, therefore we have to take it with a nice bucket of salt.

In German the 5th is also known as Schicksalssymphonie (literally
            "Fate symphony")

Comment

Working...
            X