Beethoven 2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven 2 ?

I attach a link to an NPR report with audio clip that discusses an intriguing issue on DNA cloning from Beethoven's hair, which has been brough up before, but now with a difference.
    Personally I am a bit sceptical about what they are trying to achieve.
    Perhaps it will be possible to clone other great geniuses and bring about a Renaissance of human culture ! I think would be desirable in the 21st century.

Link - http://www.npr.org./templates/story/...toryId=1805509

What are your thoughts ?

Originally posted by Amilee:

I attach a link to an NPR report with audio clip that discusses an intriguing issue on DNA cloning from Beethoven's hair, which has been brough up before, but now with a difference.
    Perhaps it will be possible to clone other great geniuses and bring about a Renaissance of human culture ! I think would be desirable in the 21st century.

What are your thoughts ?

Amilee, I saw a movie back a few years ago called the "Boys from Brazil". It had to do with the cloning of Hitler. That scared me then as much as cloning scares me now. The though of cloning Beethoven, as we know him, brings to mind a Frankinstein science. I can not forsee a carbon copy of LvB coming from a strand of hair. True the clone may have some of the DNA of Ludwig but do you really think for one minute that we would have in our presence an actual living copy of Beethoven. I think we could probably travel through a 'black hole' before we see another Beethoven. Your post about cloning Beethoven ought to stir up a lot of debate.

Comment

Did you ask my opinion? This subject gives me the creeps!
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I think it's stupid to do such a clone, because it's been proved that cloned animals had nothing to do in the way they acted to their origins. That is, the Beethoven clone has the same probability to act more as John Smith in the U.S., some dude from China or from some unknown island out there than acting as Beethoven. I'm sure they'll try to build his brain by acting or changing the enviroment for his upbringing to act as Beethoven, but that is quite difficult. The best they could do is teach him lots of music, make him a great musician and a great actor, than get him to Hollywood and make lots of movies .

------------------
        "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
        "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

What a waste of time. Even if they brought up the clone in more or less the exact same environment, that doesn't mean he would be anything like Beethoven. Identical twins, anyone? There is clearly more to a human mind than DNA and environment.

Comment

I have to admit that I don't understand the exact science of cloning, for instance, how does the transplanted DNA form eg. Beethoven's hair interact with the host DNA and how do we know it would produce a musical genius. I agree with what everyone is saying that it is a waste of time as there is and ever shall be only one Beethoven !
            I suppose I would have to say though, that it would be nice is some senses if a successful cloning, whatever that may be, could usher in a new Renaissance of musical culture.

Comment

Amalie, here is a website that explains cloning and has lots of information you might find interesting
              http://clusty.com/search?query=Cloning

A nice idea you have about a new musical culture but frankly I don't put much stock in cloning. I think we are light years away from a truly successful clone. They have all sorts of problems with the ones they are trying to produce i.e. health issues, high mortality rate, not living long, not to mention the ethic and religious issues. As regards to Beethoven he himself once said, "....There's only one Beethoven!"

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joy:
                [B]Amalie, here is a website that explains cloning and has lots of information you might find interesting
                http://clusty.com/search?query=Cloning

A nice idea you have about a new musical culture but frankly I don't put much stock in cloning. I think we are light years away from a truly successful clone. They have all sorts of problems with the ones they are trying to produce i.e. health issues, high mortality rate, not living long, not to mention the ethic and religious issues. As regards to Beethoven he himself once said, "....There's only one Beethoven!"

Joy, I think you are near the mark to say that they are light years away from achieving successful cloning, a useful by product from it of course is curing diseases.
                Wasn't Ludwig spot on when he said, ...there is only one Beethoven ... Amen to that!

[This message has been edited by Amilee (edited 11-28-2004).]

Comment

What's the use of cloning dead composers? Are we tacitly saying that there are no good composers left, and that it is impossible for there to be any more produced in the furture, if we are thinking of such a thing?

Much Love,
                  Big D

------------------
                  Brilliance does not depend on your age, but on your brain!
                  Brilliance does not depend on your age, but on your brain!

Comment

Originally posted by Amilee:

What are your thoughts ?

The clone should have the same inclination or potential I presume, but in a different environment, with a different life, formation, traditions, stimulations, music, family, friends, enemies, ladies ... nothing points out he would be another great composer, or even a composer.

Comment

I'd like to point out that the story is dated April 1, 2004, and we are advised to expect a progress report next April 1. I don't know about Europe or elsewhere, but in the U.S. April 1 is April Fool's Day, for humorous hoaxes. Also the expert who is quoted, whether real or fictitious, is much more certain about the likelihood of being able to clone from dead, broken DNA than any other expert who's ever been quoted on this topic.

Comment

Working...
                      X