Beethoven's Most Beautiful Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Most Beautiful Work

Hi! I'm new here. I wanted just wanted to ask your opinion, what do you think is Beethoven's most beautiful work?

Laura

While Beethoven has many beautiful moments, a lot of my favorite moments are when he is violent and intense.

However...

The Tempest, third movement, is finesse encapsulated in sound.
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Originally posted by laura Childers:
      Hi! I'm new here. I wanted just wanted to ask your opinion, what do you think is Beethoven's most beautiful work?

Laura
      Welcome Laura,

...many of the adagios and slower moments of the late piano sonatas are deeply rewarding (actually, most of Beethovens adagios are deeply rewarding)

------------------
      v russo
      v russo

Comment

Laura
        There are many, but surely the slow movement of the 5th piano concerto and that of the 9th symphony must rank as the most beautiful.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hi laura
          This is our fate as Beethovians, it gives innumerable of it!

The Violin Concerto, Op.61, is one you could check out in every case.

Comment

What about the first movement of the Pastoral Symphony??
            "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

I also vote for the adagios, and there are so many candidates it's impossible to choose just one. It is interesting that several posters feel the adagios are the most beautiful.
              See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                There are many, but surely the slow movement of the 5th piano concerto and that of the 9th symphony must rank as the most beautiful.

I have to second that! The 5th Piano Concerto adagio is my all time favorite piece.

Comment

Welcome and greetings from Vienna, Laura.

This is a difficult question to answer while there are so many beautiful works of Beethoven's to choose from. One of favorites is the 2nd movement (the Allegretto) from Beethoven's Sym. #7. Another favorite of mine is his "Egmont" Overture, Op. 84.

Comment

Well, one of the reason's I was asking was that I am still new to Beethoven, but I pretty much know what I like. I love the mellow, languid, yet beautiful works on the piano. I would love to hear some of the things you suggested. Is there any chance that someone could send me some Mp3's???
                    Thanks
                    Laura

Comment

Well, one of the reason's I was asking was that I am still new to Beethoven, but I pretty much know what I like. I love the mellow, languid, yet beautiful works on the piano. I would love to hear some of the things you suggested. Is there any chance that someone could send me some Mp3's???
                      Thanks
                      Laura
                      Well soon at the mp3 page of the Beethoven Reference Site you'll find a beautiful piece I think hasn't been mentioned yet in this chain, the Largo from Piano Concerto No.3

------------------
                      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thanks
                        Laura
                        If you can buy some CDs, I'm sure many here can recommend beautiful Beethoven languid piano movements. If money is a factor for you, I can email you, offline, instructions for using the Naxos website to hear movements from Beethoven works for free. Let me know with a reply.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
                          While Beethoven has many beautiful moments, a lot of my favorite moments are when he is violent and intense.

However...

The Tempest, third movement, is finesse encapsulated in sound.
                          For me 'Grosse Fugue' Sheer limitless power and an inspiration for decades of budding jazz performers

------------------
                          Love from London
                          Love from London

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                            For me 'Grosse Fugue' Sheer limitless power and an inspiration for decades of budding jazz performers

Jazz performers?? Its timeless music that is inspiration to all performers, in all types of music, for all ages hence. Stravinsky said it was a piece "that will be modern forever".

Why Jazz??
                            Jazz died in the 70's didn't it?

------------------
                            v russo
                            v russo

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                              I also vote for the adagios, and there are so many candidates it's impossible to choose just one. It is interesting that several posters feel the adagios are the most beautiful.
                              I do agree with adgios and slow movements. I can add the beutiful adagio from B's trio for Piano,clarinet and cello.

Comment

Working...
                              X