nazi death camps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zdravko:
    I disagree. Beethoven was one of the most spiritually and morally elevated men in human history. He is a close second to spiritual figures in history like Jesus Christ. There are heaps of musical geniuses throughout the hystory of music. Yet they don't measure up to Beethoven because of his charachter, faith, personality and his moral system . A man who sacrifices his earthly time and energies to
    write music for posterity ,a man who preaches new a faith is no ordinary man. Beethoven was a man with a mission and he knew it. And I agree: being elevated is not the same as being kind when dealing with the people around you.
    oops, sorry :O I was trying to say that this is getting carried away a little- we have really nothing on which to base a statement like "Beethoven in his moral nature is secnd only to Jesus Christ". Look, the man overcame incredible adversity to creat incredible music, but he wasn't a god (as no doubt he would've been the first to tell you).

Comment

Originally posted by beezor Mcfu:
      My wife is doing a paper on beethoven. Her teacher tells her that his music was used in gas chambers and in other horrific ways by the nazi's.
      This is probably not true, but the Nazis certainly did use Beethoven as a symbol of Germanic superiority - projected as proof positive of the German Superman.

Footnote: Curiously, even perversely when you consider its themes, Fidelio was performed in Nazi-occupied Vienna under the baton of Richard Strauss.

Comment

Working...
      X