Beethoven/ Classical Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven/ Classical Guitar

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard music by Beethoven played on guitar? And also, what do you think of classical guitar in general?

Originally posted by carlson:
    I was wondering if anyone has ever heard music by Beethoven played on guitar? And also, what do you think of classical guitar in general?

I have never heard B performed on any type of the guitar--acoustic or electric.

Regarding your other question, I LOVE THE CLASSICAL GUITAR! I especially love the recordings of Andres Segovia. John Williams and Julian Bream are pretty good, too.

One question for you: Do you play the classical guitar?

------------------
    Brilliance does not depend on your age, but on your brain!

[This message has been edited by Big D (edited 12-01-2004).]
    Brilliance does not depend on your age, but on your brain!

Comment

I've heard a few Beethoven pieces arranged for classical guitar. I don't believe he ever wrote anything for guitar, though. The closest thing would be a couple of pieces for mandolin and piano that are very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        I've heard a few Beethoven pieces arranged for classical guitar. I don't believe he ever wrote anything for guitar, though. The closest thing would be a couple of pieces for mandolin and piano that are very nice.
        Chris, A short time ago I received from a friend in Europe a cd of the Beethoven Violin concerto arranged for guitar and orchestra. I have no information on who the performer or who made the arrangment but I will say it is something I would not listen to on a frequent basis, I'll stick to the violin version.
        Oh! there is a version of the violin concerto that has been arranged for the clarinet that isn't half bad.
        KS

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 12-01-2004).]

Comment

There's a band started from a side project of Robert Fripp (guitarist & composer of King Crimson) named The California Guitar Trio. They play covers, original songs, many JS Bach pieces and have played on their record PATHWAYS excerpts adapted for guitar trio of LvB 5th (allegro con brio) and from the Moonlight Sonata (adagio sostenuto and presto agitato). On the live recording ROCKS THE WEST they play an excerpt from the 9th. Interpretations are serious, no kidding (as for example Accept's "Fur elise" solo as a proper interpretation of LvB ).
          I appreciate much Bach works for lute and adaptations for guitar of Bach violin works by Goran Sollschaer. I have to deepen in Andrés Segovia, his Bach is amazing.

Comment

Is there something about Beethoven's work that makes it harder to play on guitar? It seems that most of Bach's work would be more difficult.

Comment

Carlson, I remember a long time ago hearing Beethoven's PS#8 Opus 13 'The Pathetique' performed on a guitar via radio and it was quite good if memory serves me. I would like to hear it again but it's very rarely played.

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
              X