On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

November 28th, 1811 -- Ludwig van Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5, "Emperor," is premiered by soloist Friedrich Schneider in Leipzig's Gewandhaus.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    November 28th, 1811 -- Ludwig van Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5, "Emperor," is premiered by soloist Friedrich Schneider in Leipzig's Gewandhaus.

How was it received? It is my favorite of all of Beethoven's works.

Comment

Yeah, it's quite a unique piece, in the magical way that it combines power with tender, fire with fair (I'm into Shakespeare at the moment). I think it just shows the limitless musical scope of the guy - his capability is beyond reach for the most.

I liked the dance like motive of the finale, reminded me of a Mozart piano concerto, can't recall which one.

Comment

The first Vienna performance of Beethoven's 'Emperor' concerto was given three months later by Carl Czerny.

It would indeed be interesting to learn how these first performances were received by the public. It saddens one to think that the Maestro himself never pubicly performed this Jewel in his crown.

Beethoven's 'Emperor' concerto had entranced audiences from it's very first performance in 1811 by the 25 year old church organist Friedrich Schneider.
        According to the story that has been connected to the concerto for nearly 3 centuries, a French army officer stationed in Vienna attended the first performance of Beethoven's concerto and was so moved that he cried out, "C'est l'Empereur!" ("it is the Emperor").
        Even if this story is true, and even if Beethoven was able to hear that exlamation - he was by this time hard of hearing - the comparison whith Napoleon would hardly have flattered the composer. Once an ardent admirer of Bonaparte, Beethoven had become bitterly disenchanted with the French ruler due to his dictatorial inclinations.
        But despite the unfortunate political connotation, 'Emperor' does not seem an inappropriate title. When it was composed, this work far surpassed any and all other concertos in its expression of majesty and heroism, and retains an imperious position among compositions in its genre even today.

------------------
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 11-29-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

It would indeed be interesting to learn how these first performances were received by the public. It saddens one to think that the Maestro himself never pubicly performed this Jewel in his crown.

Once an ardent admirer of Bonaparte, Beethoven had become bitterly disenchanted with the French ruler due to is dictatorial inclinations.

I believe Czerny's Vienna premier was cooly received. The title 'Emperor' came from Britain and I don't think it is known as this in Germany - not certain though!

Beethoven still had ambivalent feelings towards Bonaparte - even in 1810 he was considering dedicating the Mass in C to him!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
            [B]the comparison whith Napoleon would hardly have flattered the composer. Once an ardent admirer of Bonaparte, Beethoven had become bitterly disenchanted with the French ruler due to his dictatorial inclinations.
            According to annecdotal evidence Beethoven's attitude to Napleon was changeable - in later years he is quoted as saying that at one time he had no time for Napoleon, but 'now' he felt quite different. The reason for this change of attitude is not recorded.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
              [B] I believe Czerny's Vienna premier was cooly received. The title 'Emperor' came from Britain and I don't think it is known as this in Germany - not certain though!

I read that there was little enthusiams for the first performance in Vienna ...not because of the music or performance itself, but because of the distractions of the rest of the programme: a series of living tableaux on Biblical subjects presented by the 'Noble Ladies' Charitable Society
              It does seem as though people were rather uncharitable at this performance !

Evidence seems unclear regarding the nickname given to Beethoven's 5th. It seems that the title 'Emperor' was the idea of Johan Baptist Cramer - a German born, London based pianist and publisher.
              Beethoven and Cramer were life-long friends and Beethoven reportedly regarded his lesser known colleague as the greatest pianist of their day.
              If Cramer did indeed crown the 'Emperor' with its regal title, then it seems proof of B's friendship that he permitted the choice, for he rarely let anyone meddle with his music.
              http://www.rain.org/~karpeles/empfrm.html

------------------

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rod:
                [B] According to annecdotal evidence Beethoven's attitude to Napleon was changeable - in later years he is quoted as saying that at one time he had no time for Napoleon, but 'now' he felt quite different. The reason for this change of attitude is not recorded.

It seems at times that Beethoven's feelings changed with the wind.
                There are numerous shreds of evidence that Beethoven was not permanently alienated from Napoleon.
                Baron Tremont supplies evidence of the composers mixed feelings about Napoleon.
                the Baron says he asked the composer whether he would like to got to know France? "I have always ardently desired to see France", Beethoven replied, "but that was before France acquired an Emperor, now I have lost my inclination".
                On another occasion, the composer asked, " If I should go to Paris, should I be obliged to pay call on your Emperor?", the Baron assured him that he would not be obliged to do so. " And do you think that he would order me to attend on him?" , Beethoven persisted.
                Tremont concluded, "this question led me to infer that, in spite of is convictions, Beethoven would have been flattered by distinction bestowed upon him by Napoleon".

On hearing news of Napoleons death in exile, May 5th 1822, Beethoven remarked " I have already composed the proper music for that catastrophe".
                There is also the possiblity that a passage in the Missa Solemnis may have been inspired by Napoleons death, Its "Dona nobis pacem" features drumbeats and distant trumpet fanfares, then the contralto breaks into an anguished cry.
                Marek suggests that this passage could have been a reminder of Napoleon who died while Beethoven was working on the Missa .
                Peter has already mentioned that Beethoven was considering dedicating his Mass in C to Napoleon.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X