Why didn't Chopin get married?

(Why I'm asking this?)

Originally posted by Uniqor:
    ...get married?

Why didn't Brahms get married?

(Why I'm asking this?)
    Last question first: I don't know.
    1. Presuming you mean Beethoven, he said many times that he wanted to be married, but never found a suitable woman for one reason or another. I think he was married to his art and any try at bringing a woman in would have been a disaster for all of them.
    2. Brahms was in love with his best friend's wife (Clara Schumann) and was too honorable to pursue her. He also had the issue of being married to his art.
    3. Chopin lived with a woman like man and wife until his death. He and George Sand were married in all but name.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited 11-25-2004).]
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

3. Chopin lived with a woman like man and wife until his death.
      Oh ya, which was which ?

Beethoven wasn't the marrying kind.I think he often entertained the idea of a possible marriage but it was just a fantasy for him.
      If he had desired a wife he would have found himself one,he wasn't wishy washy about such things.Beethoven seemed to have a low opinion of a number of women he had contact with .He tended to fall for ladies(he was in love a lot in his youth) who were unattainable for one reason or another.I doubt any woman on earth could have met his standard. But, as the man once said ,I could be wrong about this.
      spacerl
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Beethoven: Why didn't he marry the "immortal beloved"?

Brahms: Was marrying widows a problem in that time?

Chopin: Still, why didn't he get married?

Comment

Beethoven: Why didn't he marry the "immortal beloved"?

Brahms: Was marrying widows a problem in that time?

Chopin: Still, why didn't he get married?
          You tell me who the Immortal Beloved was and I'll tell you why she did not marry Beethoven.

Brahms might have married Clara if she had been willing ,she often complained of not haveing enough time for her own work because Robert, needing her services while he composed ,consumed all her waking hours.
          I think that when Robert went off to the Sanitorium,Clara had a taste of what things might be like if she could concentrate on her own career,If Brahms proposed ,she might have imagined herself working for him and felt she'd be better off with out a husband.
          Clara had seven children.It not like she wasn't already too busy as it was.

Marrying widows was not a problem.

George Sand was married already and had children ,she wasn't available for marriage.

spacerl
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

So much info!

Beethoven, man what can I say...

Oh poor Brahms! Workoholic Clara Schumann, I wouldn't be interested in that kind of women.

Chopin... now my favourite pimp in the world.

[This message has been edited by Uniqor (edited 11-26-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              Last question first: I don't know.
              1. Presuming you mean Beethoven, he said many times that he wanted to be married, but never found a suitable woman for one reason or another. I think he was married to his art and any try at bringing a woman in would have been a disaster for all of them.
              2. Brahms was in love with his best friend's wife (Clara Schumann) and was too honorable to pursue her. He also had the issue of being married to his art.
              3. Chopin lived with a woman like man and wife until his death. He and George Sand were married in all but name.

The Chopin/Sand relationship actually ended bitterly 2 years prior to Chopin's death.

Brahms was also more than a little infatuated with Clara's daughter Julie which of course would have been an impossible situation!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

...get married?

Why didn't Brahms get married?

(Why I'm asking this?)
                Why isn't Rod married??

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  Why isn't Rod married??

Perhaps rod has got a immortal beloved himself..or perhaps he wants too resemble his 2 icons Beethoven and händel??
                  oh and spaceray?are you implying that brahms was a peadophile???or was she an adult aswell??
                  Regards,
                  Ruud

------------------
                  Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                    oh and spaceray?are you implying that brahms was a peadophile???or was she an adult aswell??
                    Regards,
                    Ruud

I think this refers to my remarks not Space's!

Isn't it sad that we live in such times that you would even think that - It was from Hermann Levi on the occasion of Julie Schumann's engagement that Clara became aware of Brahms's feelings for her.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 11-26-2004).]
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I had thought that Brahms did not marry Clara on account of his respect for Robert.

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
                        Perhaps rod has got a immortal beloved himself..or perhaps he wants too resemble his 2 icons Beethoven and händel??
                        Regards,
                        Ruud

Well Handel seems to have been a celibate for most of his life, so little do we know about what he got up to in this respect, if anything. This is not quite what I had in mind for myself.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                          I had thought that Brahms did not marry Clara on account of his respect for Robert.
                          That was obviously a reason as it was also for Clara, certainly in the first years of their aquaintance. I think a more modern answer or Freudian approach is that he simply had difficulty equating sex with love, hence his reliance on prostitutes.

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Clara was a bit older than Brahms and she was raked over the coals of Robert's breakdown and final illness,she might not have been in the mood for romance after all the emotional upheaval,as I mentioned I think Clara's career and her children came first.

I don't think I would have enjoyed being married to Brahms,he was awfully grumpy,I like a fella that makes me laugh.
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Brahms' a pedo? Thanks for the laughs man...

Brahms' grumpy? Have a look at his formal poses man...

Bad Chopin, bad man...

Comment

Working...
                              X