• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amalie:
    Mozart: Clarinet Quintet, K581,
    Wojciech Mrozek, [clarinet]
    Amadeus Polish Radio Chamber Orchestra
    Amalie,
    I don't thing there's music more beutiful than the adagio of this concerto...!

Gurn,
    I've been listening to this wonderful sonata a few days ago, wondering what "Kreutzer" is supposed to mean in English...?!!

Now with Beethoven 4th movement of the 4 th symphony, played on authentic instruments by the Hanover band. Thanks Rod

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited 11-03-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad:

Gurn,
      I've been listening to this wonderful sonata a few days ago, wondering what "Kreutzer" is supposed to mean in English...?!!

Ahmad,
      "Kreutzer" was a prominent French (? he must have been a German living in France, I think) violinist of the time, a leading teacher of the violin in Paris, Rudolf Kreutzer. B dedicated it to him after withdrawing the didication to George Bridgetower after they had a falling out.

For me now, it is the German Dances for Violin & Piano - WoO 42 - Louis Beethoven

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ahmad:
        [B] Amalie,
        I don't thing there's music more beutiful than the adagio of this concerto...!

Gurn,

=======
        Ahmad, A very interesting question - What does the Kreutzer name mean ?
        In addition to what Gurn has mentioned, I hope this will also help answer your question.

1. German and Swiss German: Topographic name for someone who lived near a cross set up by the roadside or in a marketplace, from middle High German, Kruiz[e] meaning 'cross'.

2. German: Habitational name for someone from a place called Krogis (recorded as Creuz in ll86), or from some other place similarly named.

3. German: in some cases, possibly from Middle High German Kriuzaere, kruizer, a term donating a crusader or Teutonic Knight,
        an allusion to the symbol of the 'cross' worn on the tunic by such knights.

4. German: possibly also metonymic occupational name for a coiner, from the same word donating a small coin marked with the symbol of a cross (in full kruizerpfenninc).

5. Jewish (Ashkenazic): ornamental name from Kreutzer, the name of the coin.

Listening now to
        Bach: Violin Concerto , BWV 1041,
        Arthur Grumiaux

------------------
        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Amalie,
          Whew! I knew it was a little coin, but not all that other stuff! I have been led to believe that Grumiaux is one of the unheralded great players of that concerto, yes or no? I have him in a lot of Mozart, but have never heard him in anything else. IMHO he is one of the very best Mozart fiddlers. I never have understood when people list their favorite violinists his name rarely makes the list

For me now, it is the Quintet in C major for Cello - D 956 - Franzrl Schubert - L'Archibudelli playing on newly regutted Strads from the Smithsonian. Lovely sounds

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm listening to Schubert's Piano Quintet in A Major, D667.L'Archibudelli plays,say ,what does this word mean?
            Gurn ,
            So did they have that election that everyone's talking about,how did it come out?
            spacerl
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Spacerl,
              I am not sure what "Schubert" means. Oh, you mean L'Archibudelli? It translates loosely to "bows and guts"! Referring of course to the fact that they only use gut strings on their instruments. It sounds slightly more...poetic in the original, don't you think? Yes, the Americans have chosen a new king, and he is the old king. Very well, let's carry on then!

For me, it is the Symphony in D major - #2 from "Ovid's Metamorphoses" - Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf. Called "The Fall of Phaeton", each of these 6 symphonies represents a different story from mythology. Quite fascinating really.

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                Spacerl,
                I am not sure what "Schubert" means. Oh, you mean L'Archibudelli? It translates loosely to "bows and guts"! Referring of course to the fact that they only use gut strings on their instruments. It sounds slightly more...poetic in the original, don't you think? Yes, the Americans have chosen a new king, and he is the old king. Very well, let's carry on then!

For me, it is the Symphony in D major - #2 from "Ovid's Metamorphoses" - Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf. Called "The Fall of Phaeton", each of these 6 symphonies represents a different story from mythology. Quite fascinating really.

And have you heard Saint-Saens' version of the Phaeton story? Nice tone poem!

This morning the radio presented scherzo's from selected symphonies (Bruckner's 7th, Dvorak's 7th, and Tchaikowsky's 7th).

Nice way to wake up!

Comment

Yes, Spacerl, we have a new/old leader this morning. We will carry on...

Lots of sevens, Sorrano, wonder what that means?! For me I was awaken this morning via radio by Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 2
                  Conductor Anthony Newman and the English Chamber Orchestra with soloist Wynton Marsalis, trumpet. Nice way to wake up also!

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

A nice afternoon somewhere in old Europe, including...
                    W.A. Mozart - Concert Arias I & II,
                    Piano Trios KV.542-548-564
                    Horn- Oboe- & Clarinet Quintets KV.407-370-581
                    K.M. von Weber Clarinet Concertos I&II and Grand Duo Concertante op.48

Comment

Today is the "Art of fugue" day. Listening to this Bach's masterpiece played in clavecin & afterwards in organ (organ version is so peaceful...). I love this Andre Isoir organ version. I've not deepened in Bach's organ works, perhaps my first approach with Gould was a little bit dissapointing. Any recommendations on Bach organ works? Christmas' round the corner....

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
                        Today is the "Art of fugue" day. Listening to this Bach's masterpiece played in clavecin & afterwards in organ (organ version is so peaceful...). I love this Andre Isoir organ version. I've not deepened in Bach's organ works, perhaps my first approach with Gould was a little bit dissapointing. Any recommendations on Bach organ works? Christmas' round the corner....

Asterr,
                        I'll get some ideas from my girlfriend as to Bach's organ works, she often has Bach playing in her car.
                        Meanwhile, some more baroque listening for me: -

Wonderful pieces from Bach:
                        Goldberg variation, mvt. 14-18 /Serkin, [piano].
                        Bach: Brandenburg Concerto no.5, BWV 1050
                        Berlin Barock Solisten, Pahud [flute].
                        Georg Faust,[violincello]
                        Christine Schornsheim [harpsichord].

on to
                        Tartini, Violin Sonata, 0p.2. no 5
                        Gatti,[violin]. Ensemble Aurora.

Telemann: Concerto in G, TW43,g2, Armonico Tributo Austria.

------------------
                        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

I am listening to Beethoven's Septet for clarinet,horn,bassoon,violin ,viola cello and doublebass.in E flat major opus 20.

Gurn,
                          Cristies set a world auction record this week for a Giovanni Battista Guadagnini cello,it sold to cellist Pieter Wispelwey for 341,250,English pounds.
                          The instrument was made in Parma in 1760.
                          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Muriel
                            I bet the baby would love most of the Symphony movements by Schubert, many of them are so lovely. The 'Scene at the Brook' would just be perfect, isn't it? Baby could cry when it is over...

WAYLTN? LvB's first String Trio, op.3 and the Serenade in D major, op.8 on the same disk.
                            Brilliant works - Brilliant CD

Comment

Jurg,
                              I will give the Scene at the Brook a try ,
                              Baby has the croup and fell asleep in my arms yesterday afternoon listening to the lovely Sonata for Arpeggione & piano ,in A minor,Schubert's D 821.
                              She is much better today.

For me,now playing Clarinet Trio in B flat Major Opus 11 by Beethoven .
                              Lovely.
                              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Gurn, Amalie,
                                Thankyou very much for your information. It's interesting that this guy's name has those differnet meanings related to "coin","cross" and "Krogis"..!

Congratulations Gurn, the Texas man is a king again...!

Sorrano,
                                Tchaikovsky's 7th..?!! Nothing the man could say after his "pathetique" one..!

Spaceray,
                                I like this trio, especially the beatiful adagio in the middle..! One of my favourites...
                                How is it going on with piano practising?

For me, it's now Mozart Piano concerto no.14...
                                Nice music...

Comment

Working...
                                X