What Are You Listening to Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrl,
    And was it as great as I suggested it might be? I think so!

Sorrano,
    Man, that is some good listening. I still don't have that Borodin for my own, matter of time though. Too nice not to own.

Spacerl,
    Consummate good taste, as one would expect. Does that disk also have the lovely Bagatelles on it? Ahhh...

Uniqor,
    I not only agree about the sonata, but I also answered your question. All part of the service at WAYLTN?

Amalie,
    So there you go, I wrote it! Even with a piano to replace the harmonium, the excellence of these little works shines through. Little gems, they are!

For me it is the Sinfonia in D major - Op D17 - Johann Baptiste Vanhal - This 3 movement work has a central adagio molto which is virtually an oboe solo for 4 minutes. Beautiful!

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Gurn,
      The Bagatelles are wonderful this recording uses a harmonium and not the piano,it sounds fantastic.
      spacerl
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Today is my first listening to Beethoven Triple concerto op. 56 & Brahms Double Concerto op. 102 (Oistrakh, Rostropovich, Richter); one of these Emi classics remastered records. Currently starting the second mov. of LvB concerto and really enjoying.

Comment

Spacerl,
          well, you always did have excellent taste! That little nocturne Op 40 is pretty good too, yes?

atserri,
          I have that same disk, I think the players on it are among the very best, I really like all of them, hard to single one out!

For me, I am listening to Muzio Clementi's "6 Suites du Gradus et Parnassum", an unblievable book of exercises for piano students based on the principles of J.J. Fux in his book of 1725 that was the foundation for music theory for the next 150 years. Played by Danielle Laval. My first listening to this disk, I guarantee it won't be my last!

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Piano Sonata #18 Op 31 no. 3... (The Hunt)

A. Brandel tickling the ivory...

coming off the WCPE internet radio link... and using WINAMP...

Web radio... what a difference!

------------------
            A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage
            A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

Gurn,
              Seems interesting! I'm surprised that there're such recordings!

Listening to Beethoven OP.16, Quintet for Piano and Wind instruments.
              Ashkenazy on the piano, and his friends on the wind instr.(I don't have the cd cover right now!)

Comment

Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4
                Alfred Brendel [piano]

Ahh, Just what the doctor ordered after a stressful journey home from work !
                Beethoven's super abundant genius brimming with energy.

There are times when I can appreciate Rod's view when he says he never wants to listen to anything else but Beethoven.

------------------
                ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
                ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

lvbfanatic,
                  We had a thread here a while back deciding why this sonata was called Hunt, and from how far back was it done so. As a result of that I listened to it a couple dozen times in a few days, and have only been able to bring myself back to it 7 ot 8 times since then. Burnout, I guess! Brendel's version is great, he really seems to feel the music well. A good tickler, I suppose!

Ahmad,
                  So, neither did I! 2 weeks ago I bought 12 disks at an estate sale, the original owner must have liked authentic instruments because most of them are, but even the ones that aren't are some very interesting things. This one is marvellous! And so is that Quintet!

Amalie,
                  Yes, B is like chicken soup sometimes. Alright, most of the time. And that is certainly a splendid example of his chunkier pieces too!

For me now, it is another disk that is new to me, the piano sonata #3 in f minor Op 20 - J. N. Hummel. I have only heard his #1 before, this one is a world beyond that, it really is an outstanding piece of work.

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Philip Glass Symphony No 3 Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Marin Alsop Challenging and powerful listening but transfixing at the same time

------------------
                    Love from London
                    Love from London

Comment

Gurnrl
                      I bet this is a nice Piano Sonata by Hummel! Is it a Naxos disk? I know there is one but I can't say the lineup. The String Trios are exquisit. How could I live without them?

Spacerl
                      A lucky coincidence brought me recently to a little live concert of two Miniatures by Dvorak. With a harmonium of about 1800. It was wonderful, great works indeed.

W.A. Mozart
                      Some Notturni for Soprano, Alto, Bass, 2 Clarinets & Basset Horn

Comment

To all my Internet friends:
                        Right now,I am enjoying the Octet in F Major by Schubert. I find this piece very relaxing, yet at the same time stimulating, to my brain. If only all music could be like this!

As well, I am listening quite a lot to the music of Medelsohn. (correct spelling?)
                        I find his Violin Concerto in E Minor to be one of the most moving pieces I have ever listend to. The first movement is especially brilliant.

Much Love,
                        Big D

[This message has been edited by Big D (edited 11-03-2004).]
                        Brilliance does not depend on your age, but on your brain!

Comment

TJ,
                          I used to listen to a lot of Glass, Reich and Bach back in the '70's, but in the long run only Bach managed to hang in there with me. Interesting stuff though, just sort of...cold? One needs a change of pace now and then though.

Pastrl,
                          No, that humbelbee is on Arabesque, the disk is an old one, from 1987. These sonatas are really excellent, the only ones I have from the same time period other than B are Clementi, and I like these better. Those Notturni are lovely, are they not? The two sopranos and bass make an interesting contrast!

D,
                          That Octet is one of Schubert's best chamber works. There were only a few written by anyone in that period of time, of course B's Septet Op 20 is of that group, and then Spohr wrote an Octet and a Nonet also, all of these are mixed winds and strings, and they are just excellent. Wonder why the form didn't stay around for a longer time? And the Mendelssohn VC is second only to B's in the whole repertoire. All of his concertos are...electric!

For me it is the Sonata in C major for Piano - #21 - Op 53 - Louis Beethoven. Alfred Brendel playing as only he can. Lovely evening to escape election returns in the music room!

------------------
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pastorali:
                            [B]Gurnrl
                            I bet this is a nice Piano Sonata by Hummel!

QUOTE]

Pastorl,
                            I've been listening to Hummel's trio in E flat for violin,cello and piano op 12.The only other music I have heard of Hummel is very 'windy' but this is very nice.

Lately ,I've been wondering what Schubert's
                            symphonies might be like,have you heard them?
                            The only Beethoven Symphony I own is the Ninth and it makes the baby cry.I wonder if she would like Beethoven's sixth?
                            spacerl
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Bach: [arr.C Catoire] Passacaglia and Fugue, in C, BWV582, Sergei Terentjev [piano].

Mozart: Clarinet Quintet, K581,
                              Wojciech Mrozek, [clarinet]
                              Amadeus Polish Radio Chamber Orchestra

Handel: Die ihr aus dunkeln den eiteln Mammon grabt, [ The vanity of the world digs its own grave ], something like that anyway.
                              Helen Plouffe [violin]
                              Louise Pellerin [oboe]

------------------
                              ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 11-03-2004).]
                              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Spacerl,
                                Well, I only had before his first sonata, and it was OK, but not outstanding. However, when he gets to the third, we see awhole new outlook and aggression. Since he started out as a Mozart pupil but lived his adult life as a contemporary of Beethoven, he seems to have a bit of a parallel development of B's more grandiose "Heroic" style. What, Hummel had gas, or too many oboes? The 9th makes ME cry sometimes, can't blame the little tyke for that!

Amalie,
                                The Vanity of the World Digs its Own Grave! I like that, as a concept. Pity we seem to have forgot that in the modern era, but on to music. That Bach looks interesting, I have heard that on organ, I believe, does a piano do it justice?

For me, it is the compelling Sonata in A major for Piano & Violin - #9 - Op 47 - Louis Beethoven. Peter Skærved/Aaron Shorr. A most intense performance, and Skærved actually takes a shot at planting a most interesting cadenza in the middle of the first movement, far better than most others go with. In all a super disk, even has an sonata by the now-obscure Mayseder, one of the premier fiddlers of his time and a good friend of B.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment