No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening to Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am listening to a superb collection of all the Vaughan Williams symphonies and other VW pieces, played by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra under Vernon Handley Originally recorded on Classics for Pleasure now on CD The set of seven CD's only cost me £19.99 which is extraordinary value Any London members check this out at MDC or MVC Records

------------------
    Love from London
    Love from London

Comment

Gurn,
      First, thanyou very much for the information about classical style's origin. It's first time I know about "galant" and "bourgeois" music...I really need more reading

Second, it's well-known that Annad Magdalina notesbook' pieces were written by J.S.Bach...But that's not true !! Anna Magdalina had gathered easy piano pieces written by J.S, C.P.E and others and made them all in one book. And the wellknown march in D is C.P.E's own...!!

By the way I've been learning the piano since two years only. Last year I played the march in a small recital arranged by my teacher for her Adult Beginner Students!! That's too late, but....Ok !!

Now with Beethoven Pinao Sonata in B flat major Op.106 "Hammerklavier", Alfred Brendel.

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited 10-30-2004).]

Comment

Finally, the Wilms symphonies arrived, so that is what I've been listening to. Curiously, enough, I added Dvorak's 7th and thought it was an extension of the Wilms. At least the first movement of the Dvorak is so much like the two Wilms symphonies in spirit that it caught me off guard. Regardless, it made for a great listening night!

Comment

Handel: Concerto Grosso, 0p.3/2
          Les Musiciens du Louvre /
          Marc Minkowski

I'm sure Rod will approve of this wonderful recording!

Bach: Chorale prelude, 'Wenn wir in hochsten Noten Sein. BWV 641
          Piet Kree [Muller organ of St. Bavo, Haarlem ].

------------------
          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Ahmad,
            And thank you for the information about the "...Notebook" I can only speculate that the boys were quite young when this was done, and stillunder their father's direction. I kow beyond doubt that the KNEW how to write counterpoint etc, they just didn't do it in their mature music because it was horribly out of style! For me, I wish I could play even that simple piece. I would be delighted! Do you think you will advance to playing the Hammerklavier some day? I shall have to be content to playing it on my CD player

Sorrano,
            Hah! So you are liking them? That is very interesting about Dvorak, I had not made that connection, but I will try that. Dvorak could not possibly have heard that Wilms, so the connection is accidental, and yet most interesting.

Amalie,
            I like those Op 3 concerti. Never heard them on authentic hautbois, but I would guess they sound pretty fine, mellow.

For me, it is the Symphony in d minor - #9 - OP 125 - Louis Beethoven - Today, the London SO/Jochum. Lovely version, tempi are very brisk and lively considering the period in which it was recorded. And since summer continues on (82/26 deg yesterday!) golf will again be perfect today.

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
              Finally, the Wilms symphonies arrived, so that is what I've been listening to. Curiously, enough, I added Dvorak's 7th and thought it was an extension of the Wilms. At least the first movement of the Dvorak is so much like the two Wilms symphonies in spirit that it caught me off guard. Regardless, it made for a great listening night!
              Sorrano,
              Your observations bring to mind my own experience when I first came upon Classical Music. I could not tell Mozart from Haydn, R.Strauss from Wagner, Mahler from Bruckner.
              It is amazing that after listening for a time you get to know a composers style and you wonder how in heaven you got them mixed up in the first place. At the age of around 11 I had a hard time telling the Beethoven Violin Concerto from the Brahms Violin Concerto. I know, how in the heck could one confuse these two works. I guess back then it was easy for me to do it.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                [B]Ahmad,
                And thank you for the information about the "...Notebook" I can only speculate that the boys were quite young when this was done, and stillunder their father's direction. I kow beyond doubt that the KNEW how to write counterpoint etc, they just didn't do it in their mature music because it was horribly out of style! For me, I wish I could play even that simple piece. I would be delighted! Do you think you will advance to playing the Hammerklavier some day? I shall have to be content to playing it on my CD player

Sorrano,
                Hah! So you are liking them? That is very interesting about Dvorak, I had not made that connection, but I will try that. Dvorak could not possibly have heard that Wilms, so the connection is accidental, and yet most interesting.

Amalie,
                I like those Op 3 concerti. Never heard them on authentic hautbois, but I would guess they sound pretty fine, mellow.

Yes, indeed you are right Gurn.
                I found a bit more info about the Johan Philipp Krieger piece you were querying the other day. http://www.hoasm.org/VIB/kriegerJP.html

Still in the baroque mode..

Bach: Sonata no.1, in A, orig. in C, BWV 1001 / Galbraith [ 8 string guitar ]

Vivaldi: Cello Sonata no.6, Bb major,
                Pieter Wespelwey [cello] / Florilegium.

Vivaldi: Concerto in D RV 210,
                Monica Huggett [violin]
                Raglan Baroque Players.

Vivaldi: Concerto in C, RV 555,
                Academia Saint-Cecile

Thomas Arne: Trio Sonata for 2 violins & continuo, no.5
                Collegium Musicum 90

Avison: Concerto no.2 / Brandenburg Consort.

Cazzati: Cappriccio Sopra sette note / De La Gioiosa Marca Ensemble

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-31-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Tony John Hearne:
                  Am listening to a superb collection of all the Vaughan Williams symphonies and other VW pieces, played by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra under Vernon Handley Originally recorded on Classics for Pleasure now on CD The set of seven CD's only cost me £19.99 which is extraordinary value Any London members check this out at MDC or MVC Records

Yes good set that - though I think you'd find its even cheaper in the HMV sale which currently has the Zinman set of LVB symphonies for £15 if anyone's not yet got it - I've picked up a couple for presents already!

But for myself its a collection of Mozart Divertimenti for Wind Instruments recorded by the Chamber orchestra of Europe Wind Soloists . So far heard the Gran Partita K361 ( as featured in THAT film) and Serenades K375b and K388 - lovely stuff though I think Jane Glover's version of the K361 is more powerful.

Also been listening to the Gorecki Symphony no 3 - another Zinman recording (shows he can do slow and meditative when he wants to!)with the London Sinfonietta and the exquisite Dawn Upshaw as soloist. All a bit obvious perhaps compared with Mozart, but incredibly moving and powerful as a lament for the Polish victims of Naziism and a statement of hope. Had me in tears anyway - definitely NOT background music and this is the definitive recording.

------------------
                  Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 10-31-2004).]
                  Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
                    Sorrano,
                    Your observations bring to mind my own experience when I first came upon Classical Music. I could not tell Mozart from Haydn, R.Strauss from Wagner, Mahler from Bruckner.
                    It is amazing that after listening for a time you get to know a composers style and you wonder how in heaven you got them mixed up in the first place. At the age of around 11 I had a hard time telling the Beethoven Violin Concerto from the Brahms Violin Concerto. I know, how in the heck could one confuse these two works. I guess back then it was easy for me to do it.

It's been awhile since I had listened to the Dvorak 7th. But the overall sound to the Wilms two symphonies and the Dvorak 7th are very similar (being in minor keys was certainly helpful). The orchestration is very similar, as well. But then I might have passed the Wilms off as Schumann, as well, had I not known the composer.

For today, however, a different direction: Scriabin's early piano music, including his Sonata in E Flat minor. (Reminds me of Chopin, heh heh!)

Comment

A good November morning to all

Early listening with -

Beethoven: String Quartet, 0p.95
                      Hagan Quartet.

Le Febure: Motet, Viri Sancti gloriosum
                      sanguinem /Currende Eric van Nevel.

Bartok: Romanian Folk Dances, Sz 68,
                      BBC National Orchestra of Wales / James Clark.

Dvorak: Form Legends, 0p.59,no.4 C major, [Molto maestoso]. [orig. for piano duet]
                      Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.

------------------

Comment

LvB - Trio for Violin, Viola & Cello, op.9 #3
                        The Zurich String Trio

Comment

Added the Dvorak 8th to my listening list as well as Borodin's In the Steppes of Central Asia along with some excerpts from Prince Igor.

This morning caught the finales of both Brahm's Piano Concerti.

Comment

I'm listening to Dvorak's Miniatures for two violins and viola op 75a .
                            Heavenly!
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Piano Sonata No1, sad and beatiful.

(Will someone please anwser my previous post?)

Comment

It seems to be a Dvorak sort of day via radio !

Dvorak: Bagatelles 0p. 47
                                Anne Page [ Piano ]
                                Martinu String Quartet.

Later -
                                Beethoven's Missa Solemnis /Berlin Philharmonic / Sir Georg Solti

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 11-01-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                                X