No announcement yet.

What Are You Listening to Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

285 years today, Leopold Mozart,[father of Wolfgang Amade], Born Nov. 14th, 1719, Augsburg [Germany].

Mozart's wonderful Missa Solemnis, K337
    Barbara Bonney [soprano]
    Elisabeth von Magnus [alto]
    Uwe Heilmann [tenor]
    Gilles Cachemaille [bass]
    Schoenberg Choir/ Vienna Concentus Musicus,
    Cond. Nicholaus Harnoncourt.

A beautiful Mass with peerless singing !

Bach: Prelude & Fugue,
    Angela Hewitt [piano]

Gurney, In Flanders; Seven Meadows.
    Clifford Benson [piano}

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 11-14-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

W.A. Mozart
      Veni sancte Spiritus KV.47
      Te Deum Laudamus KV.141

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

VC,
        Hey, you been hiding lately. I agree, DuPré was a super cellist, so unfortunate her career was cut short that way. Doean't matter which sonata, B's are all great!

For me now, it is Brandenburg Concerto #3 performed by the Boston Baroque, tres HIP, tres bien!

I love the 3rd Brandenburg Concerto most! I must say, JS Bach is creeping further and further into my heart these days!

Today I shall continue the tradition of listening to...Beethoven Symphony no.9 in D minor, Op.125 - yeah!!!!!!

Perfect on a rainy day like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Vipercat:
          I love the 3rd Brandenburg Concerto most! I must say, JS Bach is creeping further and further into my heart these days!

Today I shall continue the tradition of listening to...Beethoven Symphony no.9 in D minor, Op.125 - yeah!!!!!!

Perfect on a rainy day like this.

Viper,
          I am sure you and others would love to listen to this excellent baroque site I discovered recently, Bach-radio.com, Otto's baroque musick.[ all authentic]. I love listening to it and have become quite addicted. So relaxing too.
          It must be the worlds leading baroque music site. It's truly superb !
          Peter may like to have a link to it.
          Right now I am listening to - CPE Bach, Double concerto for 2 harpsichords and orchestra.

Oops, nearly forgot the link ->> http://www.bach-radio.com/onair.php

ENJOY !

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 11-14-2004).]

Comment

For me, on this cold, gray, forbidding Sunday morning, something a little more optimistic than the weather! It will be the Symphony in d minor - #9 - Op 125 - Louis Beethoven. This week I am being edified by the Hanover Band / Roy Goodman. Marvelous performance of glorious music, perfect fortification for today's golf, since Texas in November can be very much like Scotland in July!

------------------
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Another round of symphonies from the classical period. Today it is music by Franz Xaver Dussek (1731-1799), three of his sinfonias, Leopold Hofmann (1738-1793), five of his sinfonias and Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf (1739-1799), three of his sinfonias. These three contemporaries of Haydn and Mozart added much to the structure of the symphony, each contributing in their own unique way. Although none of them took the symphony to the limits that Beethoven was to take, they certainly built on it.
              KS

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 11-14-2004).]

Comment

VC, I love all the Brandenburg Concertos and heard yesterday Bach's Brandenburg #6 while shopping. Nice to hear it as you're walking around.

Amalie, thanks for the site. Very enjoyable indeed. Yes, you could get addicted to it!

Gurn, enjoy your 9th today and a round of golf! Good luck!

For me today it's Beethoven's Piano Sonatas #7 and #30. Also later his Ruins of Athens and Rage over a lost penny in G Op 129 Rondo
                with Evgeny Kissin, piano. A nice Beethoven day all via radio!

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joy:
                  [B]VC, I love all the Brandenburg Concertos and heard yesterday Bach's Brandenburg #6 while shopping. Nice to hear it as you're walking around.

Amalie, thanks for the site. Very enjoyable indeed. Yes, you could get addicted to it!

Joy, Yes, I am pleased you appreciate the baroque radio. It is rather addictive, like the Beethoven site !

This evenings listening:
                  Beethoven: Charming, Wind Ensembles.

Octect for 2 Oboes, 2 Clarinets, 2 Bassoons and 2 Horns, 0p.103.
                  Rondino, Wo0 25
                  Duo for Clarinet and Bassoon. W0o 27
                  March for 2 Clarinets , 2 Bassoons and 2 Horns Wo0 29
                  Sextet for 2 Clarinets, 2 Bassoons, 2 Horns 0p.71

Unless I am much mistaken, wasn't this a genre that Mozart made his own, that is intimate, small ensembles of wind instruments, usually played together by friends on long winter evenings.
                  I do love the Beethoven wind peices, so warm and convivial,they are such beautifully crafted, miniatures, like a great watchmaker at his bench.

------------------

Comment

Some Secular Vocal Works by Louis van Beethoven:
                    op.118 Elegischer Gesang
                    op.121b Opferlied
                    op.122 Bundeslied
                    op.65 Ah! Perfido
                    CBE #18

Comment

King,
                      Such a rare treat for us commoners to have a King say "here, let me open that door for you" Great! I have a fair stash of Ditters, but the other 2 are no more than names so far. So much music, so little time!

Joy,
                      While I am also very partial to the Brandenburgs (couldn't pick a favorite though!) I must say the rest of your listening day sounds excellent too, I haven't heard Evgeny playing B yet, hope he is right on it!

Amalie,
                      Oh, nice lineup there! I love those wind works. Yes, Mozart made a speciality of them, as did several other composers of the post 1782 Vienna, because Emperor Joseph II brought the basic 8 wind players into his home and created a rage for the genre, called "harmonie" which spawned 40 years or so of intense interest before it seems to have faded away (speculation is because there was a dearth of adequate players). Every major music form got transcribed into "harmoniemusik", I even have 10 pieces from "Fidelio" done that way, and nicely too! Most of B's were composed quite early and then either published much later or not at all, as can be evidenced by the deceptively high opus #'s or WoO designations. Lovely works, nonetheless.

Pastrl,
                      Now, there is some good things for singing! Amalie made me go listen again to Opferlied again the other day, and it was still excellent!

For me now, it is the concerto in C major for Violin & String Orchestra - RV 189 - Vivaldi - English Concert/Andrew Manze. Manze's brilliance as a baroque violinist perfectly accents these somewhat dark and virtuosic pieces that were not written for the publc, but rather as a gift for HR Emperor Charles VI. Vivaldi at his best.

------------------
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Joy, how does Brendel do with that sonata, op. 14/2? That is my favorite of the sonatas.

Gurn, that first movement of the 9th should match those cloudy skies, but by the time you get to the finale the music has transcended the day!

Today, more of Scriabin's early piano music, Borodin's Symphony No. 2, and finally, Dvorak's 9th.

Comment

it's the diabelli variations... on the Beethoven Only internet station... what won't the internet do next???

------------------
                          There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!
                          There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!

Comment

Some here are liking the wonderful music of the Spanish composer Juan Cristosomo de Arriaga. Unfortunately the offer is pretty thin (1 Symphony in D, Overtures 'Los Esclavos Felices' & op.1 'Nonetto' , 3 String Quartets)
                            Can you get some more records by him in Spain?

Well, there is a big problem with Juan Crisostomo de Arriaga: he died at the age of nineteen, therefore he could not write too many works. He was a gifted child, who wrote his 1st Symphony at the age of fifteen. He went to Paris to study with Cherubini, but he died five years later of anthrax - I'm not sure what's the name in English of this malady, but in Spanish is called "tuberculosis". I've never seen more works of him in music stores here, but he also wrote one "Stabat Mater", one "Salve", another opera called "Nada y mucho" - "Nothing and too much", one mass, some cantatas and romanzas, and some biblic scenes called "Agar" and "Erminia". I really don´t know if there is any record of these pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
                              Viper,
                              I am sure you and others would love to listen to this excellent baroque site I discovered recently, Bach-radio.com, Otto's baroque musick.[ all authentic]. I love listening to it and have become quite addicted. So relaxing too.
                              It must be the worlds leading baroque music site. It's truly superb !
                              Peter may like to have a link to it.
                              Right now I am listening to - CPE Bach, Double concerto for 2 harpsichords and orchestra.

Oops, nearly forgot the link ->> http://www.bach-radio.com/onair.php

ENJOY !

A real gem of a site!! Thanks a million, Amalie!! I must say, Baroque music has really caught my interest since I began my study of the organ. Especially the improvisatory nature of it is of interest to me (continuo playing, ornamentation etc.)

Today it is Sacred music: "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" & "Wachtet auf, ruft uns die Stimme" by JS Bach, and "Laudate Dominum" from the Solemn Vespers by W A Mozart!!

Comment

Right now, it's the 6th symphony by B. The first movement is one of the most moving pieces that L.V.B. ever wrote. Indeed, the whole symphony strikes me as profound and deeply moving. Perhaps it was because B loved the country so much that this symphony had a greater meaning for him than other works.
                                I also have been listening to the 1st and 2nd Symphonies by B. I have never really appreciated these work before because I assumed that the later syphonies were far superior because they weren't in the image of the Mozart and Haydn symphonies. However, after listening to a recording conducted by George Szell over the weekend, I must write that my opinion of them has changed. I guess I should have been listening harder!
                                Brilliance does not depend on your age, but on your brain!

Comment

Working...
                                X