What Are You Listening to Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are You Listening to Now?

Since we're on page 5 already with this topic I suppose it's time for a new thread. Let's start it off with a tribute to Paganini via radio on his birthday! His Violin Concerto #1 with the Philadelphia Orchestra and Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor with Sarah Chang, violin. Also on tap for today Mozart's Symphony #18 and Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream.

Gurn, I believe you're right about Telemann being one of the most prolific with over 3,000 compositions! Sounds amazing doesn't it? Also bravo choosing Beethoven's Quartet for strings (Opus 18) one of my favourites!
    And Koenig Stephan another favourite of mine! We must be thinking alike again!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Joy,
    And that can't be a bad thing, as long as it is Beethoven! I wish they would tribute Paganini with some of his chamber works instead of Concerto #1! He wrote 3 string quartets, of which I have heard only one. It goes without saying that it was weighted towards the first violin, but still it demanded virtuosity from all 4 players, as a good SQ should.

spacerl,
    Yes, I have noticed that "tango-esque" variation too. I have 3 versions of that sonata and listened to them recently consecutively for that reason. They display this to greater or lesser degree depending on the players, but the beat is there. Gotta good beat, you can dance to it, I'll give it a 93, Dick!

For me, it is the Overture to "Peter Schmoll" by von Weber. He writes a mean overture, this guy.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

On Classic fm : The "father" in his Brandenburg concerto no.1 in F major ... Chamber Orchestra of Europe

Comment

A lovely baroque evening
        listening to -

JC Bach, Symphony in D major, Forster, 0p 18/6. The Hanover Band.

Bach, Partita no.3 in E major, Bwv1006,
        Grimiaux violin.

Frescobaldi, Canzon Dopo la pistola.
        Rinaldo Alessandrini / Fiori Musicali.

Vivaldi, Concerto no.5, La Tempesta Di Mare,
        Collegium Aureum.

Vivaldi, Cantata 'Cessate, omai cessate'
        Andreas Scholl/ Ensemble 415

For anyone who may be interested, here is the English translation of Cessate omai cessate:

Cease, henceforth cease,
        cruel memories
        of despotic love;
        heartless and pitiless,
        you have turned my happiness
        into immense sorrow.
        Cease, henceforth cease
        to tear my breast,
        to pierce my soul,
        to rob my heart of peace and calm.
        Wretched, injured and forsaken you are, my heart,
        if a tyrannical passion
        can rob you of tranquillity
        because a pitiless countenance, a faithless soul,
        harbours and nurtures nothing but creulty.

Ah, ungrateful Dorilla
        wishes me to remain unhappy;
        ah, ever more pitilessly
        she forces out my tears.
        For me there is no remedy,
        for me no more hope.
        Only death will assuage
        my bitter pain and sorrow.

So it is to you,
        gloomy places, silent horrors,
        lonely caves and friendly shades,
        that I come and bring by grief,
        because I hope to obtain from you a pity
        that is not to be found in ungrateful Dorilla.
        Beloved caves, I come,
        I come, welcoming places,
        until finally, racked by my pains,
        I will bury myself in you.

In this horrible refuge,
        sheltering from my pains,
        I shall be able to give vent,
        to my grief, to call out;
        Dorilla, heartless and ungratefull,
        and to die.
        I'll go to the gloomy banks of Acheron,
        staining that stream,
        with my blameless blood,
        crying for revenge,
        and, like the shade of a Bacchante,
        I will take my revenge.

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

A lovely baroque evening
          listening to -

JC Bach, Symphony in D major, Forster, 0p 18/6. The Hanover Band.

Bach, Partita no.3 in E major, Bwv1006,
          Grimiaux violin.

Frescobaldi, Canzon Dopo la pistola.
          Rinaldo Alessandrini / Fiori Musicali.

Vivaldi, Concerto no.5, La Tempesta Di Mare,
          Collegium Aureum.

Vivaldi, Cantata 'Cessate, omai cessate'
          Andreas Scholl/ Ensemble 415

For anyone who may be interested, here is the English translation of Cessate omai cessate:

Cease, henceforth cease,
          cruel memories
          of despotic love;
          heartless and pitiless,
          you have turned my happiness
          into immense sorrow.
          Cease, henceforth cease
          to tear my breast,
          to pierce my soul,
          to rob my heart of peace and calm.
          Wretched, injured and forsaken you are, my heart,
          if a tyrannical passion
          can rob you of tranquillity
          because a pitiless countenance, a faithless soul,
          harbours and nurtures nothing but creulty.

Ah, ungrateful Dorilla
          wishes me to remain unhappy;
          ah, ever more pitilessly
          she forces out my tears.
          For me there is no remedy,
          for me no more hope.
          Only death will assuage
          my bitter pain and sorrow.

So it is to you,
          gloomy places, silent horrors,
          lonely caves and friendly shades,
          that I come and bring by grief,
          because I hope to obtain from you a pity
          that is not to be found in ungrateful Dorilla.
          Beloved caves, I come,
          I come, welcoming places,
          until finally, racked by my pains,
          I will bury myself in you.

In this horrible refuge,
          sheltering from my pains,
          I shall be able to give vent,
          to my grief, to call out;
          Dorilla, heartless and ungratefull,
          and to die.
          I'll go to the gloomy banks of Acheron,
          staining that stream,
          with my blameless blood,
          crying for revenge,
          and, like the shade of a Bacchante,
          I will take my revenge.

Quite the dose of baroque indeed amalie,
          Sorry I've been away for so long but I'vebeen busy with school lately and had little of interest too report.
          I recently bought vivaldi's juditha triumpha..is this piece good?I haven't heard it yet and my only voice/orchestra experience is der zauberflöte, further more I've been listening too chopins 2nd and 3th sonata which were superb, played by martijn van der hoek,his polonaises by Folke naute and beethovens tempest,moonlight and appasionata by Kempff.
          For experimentation...I'll be listening too scarlatti sonata's on harpschichord later on *those I haven't heard I mean*

Best regards,
          Ruud

P.s pastorali have you yet been able too listen too the mp3 disk??if so...was it too your liking?

------------------
          Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Ahmad
            I love the first Brandenburg, especially the last movement is it so stately and elegant and contrapuntally perfect; the rest of the concerto is of little interest to me but that last movement, ooooo, superb!

Amalie
            Vivaldi's vocal music is wonderful is it not? Have you heard the motet Nulla in mundo pax sincera? This is the piece that got me started on Vivaldi and I still think it to be his most beautiful.

As for listening I have a great disc today: Bartok Plays Bartok on a label called Pearl. It features the great Bartok himself playing excerpts from his Microkosmos and his Sonata for 2 Pianos and Percussion with his wife as the other pianist. Though it is a transfer from an old LP, the quality is not terrible and it is definitely worth a look by Bartok fans and non-Bartok fans alike; this disc opened my eyes to the great injustice being done to Bartok's music, no one plays it with the lyricism that it should be played with!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ruudp:
              [B] Quite the dose of baroque indeed amalie,
              Sorry I've been away for so long but I'vebeen busy with school lately and had little of interest too report.
              I recently bought vivaldi's juditha triumpha..is this piece good?I haven't heard it yet and my only voice/orchestra experience is der zauberflöte.

Nice to see you back Ruud,

I have also recently purchased Juditha Triumphans! and a wonderful choice recommended to me by a freind ....now I have discovered what she was raving about.
              The arias are quite beautiful and a particularly heart rending one no 8, Juditha aria, stunningly sung by Magdelena Kozena - Veni, me sequere fida.
              The whole work is a wonderful marriage of expressive Italian and dramatic language, the sort of thing Monteverdi excelled at 100 years previously.
              The sad to think that this is the only surviving oratorio of Vivaldi's .
              The sound is quite interesting because it has a kind of Handelian feel to it.

Thankyou for your recommendation Haffner,
              I agree Vivaldi's vocal works are wonderful, he wrote masterfully for the vioce, though I haven't heard the motet,
              Nulla in mundo pax sincera, but I can soon remedy that!

Early morning listening:

Beethoven's wonderful Romance in G 0p.40
              Igor Ozmin [violin]

------------------
              ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-28-2004).]
              ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Hi, I'm a newcomer here. I'm indonesian and big fans of Beethoven since I was 9.
                I'm listening to Moonlight, which is my favorite.
                Nice to join this forum.

------------------
                Elisa
                Elisa

Comment

Ruud,
                  Indeed, it is good to see you rejoin us after so long. Have you been listening to Haydn lately?

Haffner,
                  Yes, all of the Brandenburgs seem to me to represent the height of Bach's art with the concerto. I like them better than any of the solo concertos, the part writing is just marvelous.

Amalie,
                  I wish B had written more Romanzas, the 2 survivors are both so lovely. According to Biamonti he also wrote a 3rd but it is lost. Pity

For me, it is also a Romanza for Violin & Orchestra, this one in a minor and by Max Bruch. This is a really lovely piece, makes one feel that they finally understand why the Romantic is called that! Leipzig Gewandhaus / Masur - Accardo fiddling.

------------------
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Haffner:

As for listening I have a great disc today: Bartok Plays Bartok on a label called Pearl. It features the great Bartok himself playing excerpts from his Microkosmos and his Sonata for 2 Pianos and Percussion with his wife as the other pianist. Though it is a transfer from an old LP, the quality is not terrible and it is definitely worth a look by Bartok fans and non-Bartok fans alike; this disc opened my eyes to the great injustice being done to Bartok's music, no one plays it with the lyricism that it should be played with!
                    That's cool! I am a big fan of Bartok's music!

This morning the scherzo to Bruckner's 5th Symphony got me going.

Comment

Romance No1 in G major Op 40
                      &
                      Romance No1 in F major Op 50
                      Beethoven naturally.

So are these pieces two of the composers
                      "trifles" . Does a piece of music have to be big to be considered great?

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                        Romance No1 in G major Op 40
                        &
                        Romance No1 in F major Op 50
                        Beethoven naturally.

So are these pieces two of the composers
                        "trifles" . Does a piece of music have to be big to be considered great?

NOOO I wouldn't say so,
                        mozart himself gave eine kleine nachtmusik it's title and found it a trifle aswell,some of the nocturnes of chopin are great but not big...simplycity can be touching sometimes..

regards,
                        ruud

P.s amalie you sure know how to make someone curious for a piece..I'll be listening vivaldi this evening

P.p.s I've listened too haydn and was pleasantly surprised that gems as the baryton trio's are finally coming back again ...

P.p.p.s today it's been chopin walses beethoven's symphony nr.5 and some of dvoraks slavonic danses op.46 and 72 performed a 4e mains by Ingryd thornson and Julian thurber..later on...VIVALDI and juditha triumphas

------------------
                        Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

[This message has been edited by ruudp (edited 10-28-2004).]

Comment

Antonin Dvorak's Symphony No.7 in D minor Op.70. There is no question that Dvorak had Brahms Symphony No.3 in mind when he composed this work. Like the program reads, it is the most sombre and austere of all Dvorak's symphonies.
                          The performance is by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Libor Pesek. Very nice performance.
                          KS

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 10-28-2004).]

Comment

Carl Maria von Weber
                            Concerto for Clarinette and Orchestra #2, op.74
                            A live recording of the 'Syphonisches Orchester Liechtenstein' two yars ago. Dimitri Askenashy blows the Clarinet quite well.
                            No Händel, but it grooves! Specially the first movement comes right after KV.622 (IMHO)

Ruudl
                            Not really! Unfortunately I had no time yet to really clear it up, I only know it works well and I will check it out as soon as possible, thank you.

Gurnrl
                            Romance? by Bruch? You got it? Super!

Comment

Sorrano,
                              Well, I am not a BIG fan of Bartok, but I have quite a bit of it and listen to it often. For 20th century, and on the heavily dissonant side, it is really quite good, especially the SQ's.

spacerl,
                              Well, they are not so much trifles because they are well constructed fully thought out works. I am almost sure that at least one of them was a movement originally composed as a concerto movement, perhaps both of them were. In any case, they stand alone very nicely.

Ruud,
                              Indeed, the Baryton Trios were a large part of Haydn's oeuvre, and they were in large part ignored because there was nothing to play them on, no barytons and no one to play them!! Lovely music though, and the epitome of chamber music, the composer writing them to sit at home and play with his boss and their coworker in the evening.

Königrl,
                              Yes, a marvelous piece of work, that! Interesting comparison with the Brahms 3, those are my 2 favorite symphonies by those composers. Pesek sounds Czech/Bohemian. Yes?

Pastrl,
                              So, the Weber is that good? I know how much you value the K 622. I have heard people say that the 2 clarinet concertos by Weber were his best work. That must be something. As for the Romanze in a minor, yes indeed, I have finally been able to find a version of these orchestral works, which include also the 3 symphonies. It is your old friend the Leipzeigers/Masur, I know how your love Masur!

For me now, it is yet Herr Bruch und der Leipzeigers, now it is the Konzertstücke in f# minor - Op 84. Yet another unheralded work from this master who has been overshadowed by the fame of his own Violin Concerto to where poeple know nothing else of his.

------------------
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment