No announcement yet.

The most obscene uses of classical music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, folks, but classical music just doesn't mix with rock music. Any combination of the two is just wrong!
    Brilliance does not depend on your age, but on your brain!

Comment

Originally posted by william jesset:
      Gentleman - as it seems the topic now, is Musicians who 'shred'.
      Why not investigate Django Reinhardt or my teacher- Pat Martino.
      My opinion only-But here are two artists who need not rely on "tricks'to create.
      Joe Pass is marvelous just for his sense of harmony.
      Thank You
      Wm Jesset

Comment

Originally posted by william jesset:
        Gentleman - as it seems the topic now, is Musicians who 'shred'.
        Why not investigate Django Reinhardt or my teacher- Pat Martino.
        My opinion only-But here are two artists who need not rely on "tricks'to create.
        Joe Pass is marvelous just for his sense of harmony.
        Thank You
        Wm Jesset
        Django Reinhardt is great, plays with amazing intensity.

I don't remember having listened at Pat Martino nor Joe Pass. hmmm.... the things-to-listen list is too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Big D:
          I'm sorry, folks, but classical music just doesn't mix with rock music. Any combination of the two is just wrong!
          Rock is a style that has somehow crystalized to become under my point of view a "standard". Therefore I think it gets enriched with the influence of classical music, and certain times it results a nice piece of music (Yngwie Malmsteen's Concerto for instance), but most of times the combination is sad since it's reduced to the use of orchestra or orchestrations as an easy trick to add (or try to add) solemnity, grandeur or depth to a song.

Metallica S&M, the concert with the SF orchestra directed by the late Michael Kamen is a good example: on the DVD you can choose from 3 audio tracks: metallica, so the orchestra is already unaudible, orchestra, so the band is on second term, or the standard mix, both band and orchestra balanced. The orchestra audio track is pathetic, since for a couple of hours just adds futilities to metal songs.

Nevertheless, some composers/guitar players try to go approach composition influenced by classical music, not just orchestrate songs by inertia and results are irregular, but that's better than nothing inder my point of view. I prefer looking it that way: A guy listening limp bizkit or some or that *gross word or words*, when listens at Yngwie for instance, and finds the solo on a hard rock song is a waltz, or finds intrincate riffs, even though the guy doesn't notice they're "stolen" from some classic composer, he may well be interested, then he'll read the booklet and finds the record is dedicated to Paganini, Bach... this may help him to break his mental barriers and enter in the classical music section, speak with people who listen classical music, and perhaps afterwards he will say that the music he listened was naive, or criticise some composers for not crediting classics, but will have stepped forward, which is more the average pop band will arise in the listener.

Comment

"I disagree that the term 'lowest common demoninator' is inappropriate and politically correct. On the contrary I think the concept is a sharp critique and rejection of PC thinking. Since PC dogma states not only that every person is equal, but also that every form of human behaviour is equal, then the only form of behaviour that is unacceptable is that which claims to be superior. So all human excellence must be abolished. High art and high culture must be abolished because it is 'elitist' - in other words it judges human behaviour and considers that some forms of behaviour and achievement are more worthy than others. So we are left with a culture in which we all must drag ourselves down to the lowest level of humanity, in order not to offend anyone. TV, music, and general popular entertainment must all pander to the oafish moron, and the more sensitive and intelligent person is expected to 'chill out' and stop being so stuffy. "

I can't believe I missed that...PERFECT.
            Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
            That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
            And then is heard no more. It is a tale
            Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
            Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Someone earlier mentioned Joe Pass. Mr. Pass never made a bad record and is easily my favorite jazz guitar player. The first Virtuoso album is outstanding.

Django Reinhardt was great, too. His music sounds timeless to me and always makes me feel happy when I hear his records played. Joe Pass did an outstanding tribute album in honor of him called For Django released in 1964.

Much Love,
              Big D

[This message has been edited by Big D (edited 11-10-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:
                Rock is a style that has somehow crystalized to become under my point of view a "standard". Therefore I think it gets enriched with the influence of classical music, and certain times it results a nice piece of music (Yngwie Malmsteen's Concerto for instance), but most of times the combination is sad since it's reduced to the use of orchestra or orchestrations as an easy trick to add (or try to add) solemnity, grandeur or depth to a song.

Metallica S&M, the concert with the SF orchestra directed by the late Michael Kamen is a good example: on the DVD you can choose from 3 audio tracks: metallica, so the orchestra is already unaudible, orchestra, so the band is on second term, or the standard mix, both band and orchestra balanced. The orchestra audio track is pathetic, since for a couple of hours just adds futilities to metal songs.

Nevertheless, some composers/guitar players try to go approach composition influenced by classical music, not just orchestrate songs by inertia and results are irregular, but that's better than nothing inder my point of view. I prefer looking it that way: A guy listening limp bizkit or some or that *gross word or words*, when listens at Yngwie for instance, and finds the solo on a hard rock song is a waltz, or finds intrincate riffs, even though the guy doesn't notice they're "stolen" from some classic composer, he may well be interested, then he'll read the booklet and finds the record is dedicated to Paganini, Bach... this may help him to break his mental barriers and enter in the classical music section, speak with people who listen classical music, and perhaps afterwards he will say that the music he listened was naive, or criticise some composers for not crediting classics, but will have stepped forward, which is more the average pop band will arise in the listener.
                If rock artists can help get more people to listen to classical music through a combining of the two genres, then I say BRAVO! However, it's still not my cup of tea.

Much Love,
                Big D

Comment

Oh the folly of labeling! I never considered 'heavy metal' to be a sub-genre of 'Rock.' The aesthetics are just too contradictory. When you get deep into the Finest Moments of Metal, you realize how completely opposite they are to the Finest Moments of Rock.

My suggestion to the above poster: Go buy Metallica's "Master of Puppets," then proceed as quickly as possible to 'Orion.' There, you will find, a gem of 20th century composition.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
                  That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
                  And then is heard no more. It is a tale
                  Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
                  Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:

My suggestion to the above poster: Go buy Metallica's "Master of Puppets," then proceed as quickly as possible to 'Orion.' There, you will find, a gem of 20th century composition.
                    Mr. Within, totally and passionately AGREE! I wouldn't skip many of the previous songs, though
                    Signed: Yet a 'tallica fanclub member.

Comment

I have to say this is straying a long way from Beethoven and the original topic which I think has been exhausted and really needs to close!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 11-11-2004).]
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                      X