X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thoughts on fur elise?

what do you think about this song?
    beeth oven

Do you mean personally or more of a technical aspect? Persoanlly, for me, I love this composition. I think it's very beautiful. I also like to play it on the piano.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

It is one of Beethoven's well known pieces and it is very appealing perhaps because of its sad wistful nature though the middle section is bright and happy. Beethoven wrote many of these 'Bagatelles' which means 'trifles' throughout his life and perhaps the finest are the late Op.126 set.

It is odd how certain pieces achieve incredible popularity - the 1st movement of Moonlight sonata is another example though my favourite is actually the delightful 2nd movement!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

It is odd how certain pieces achieve incredible popularity - the 1st movement of Moonlight sonata is another example though my favourite is actually the delightful 2nd movement!

I can understand this, the second has always had a certain enigmatic quality for me.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

yes i like the second as well. not quite as much as the 3rd but i tend to like flashy fast pieces. but the 2nd movment is very lovely. i love the end part like the last 3 or so notes the cadence or whatever. i think its unique and cool.

now about fur elise i like this song a lot but i dont think it deserves as much popularity as it gets. Beethoven has written far better pieces that do not get nearly as much credit they deserve. i was at a performance of Beethoven's Sonata for Violin and Piano No.5 in F major Op.24 "Spring". and i absolutly loved it. i think this song deserves a lot of credit its just things like that. fur elise is nice however. i think people like it because it is not that difficult and that attracts people if they hear that they can play it. people like to feel smart!!!

[This message has been edited by KyleC (edited 11-10-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by KyleC:
            fur elise is nice however. i think people like it because it is not that difficult and that attracts people if they hear that they can play it. people like to feel smart!!!

This is the trouble! Like all simple pieces it is deceptive - to play well it isn't easy, especially the middle section. I have heard Fur Elise and the first movement of the Moonlight decimated so many times by enthusiastic students.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree Peter. That middle part can be tricky. Also, people tend to play this little piece WAY too slowly a lot of times in my opinion. Brendel, who is usually one of my favorite pianists, especially for Beethoven, has one of the worst recordings of this piece that I've ever heard on his "Variations & Vignettes," which is otherwise a very good CD.

Comment

Working...
              X