On This Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day

Piotr Ilich Tchaikovsky died at the age of 53 in St.Petersburg, Russia.

In 1893 dies of cholera after drinking unboiled water during an epidemic in St. Petersburg. Or did he commit suicide? There are conflicting reports of both! What do you think?

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 11-06-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      In 1893 dies of cholera after drinking unboiled water during an epidemic in St. Petersburg. Or did he commit suicide? There are conflicting reports of both! What do you think?

Joy, The notion that Tchaikovsky commited suicide has been hanging on since he died. Some say because of his sexual orientation he was going to be brought before a tribunal of his peers for an on going affair he had with the nephew of an offical. If found guilty he would have had to either commit suicide or have the affair go public.
      This has been in the last few years debunked by people who have studied the case. I personally think in all probabilty he died from cholera but that it was not a suicidal decision. In Russia, at the time of Tchaikovsky, if convicted of homosexual acts the death penalty could be imposed. Putting aside Tchaikovsky's private life the man composed some beautiful music.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 11-06-2004).]

Comment

Tchaikovsky died 7 days after the premier of his 6th symphony "pathetique". He refers to this symphony as the best he ever composed, and it included a 'secret' rogram through which he expressed 'the most dirty human desires' as he said. Tchaikovsky was entirely satisfied with his "pathetique" symphony, although it wasn't much appreciated after presenting it.
        Anyway, I have a tendency to believe in Tchaikovsky's suicide,taking in concern his excess setimentality.

Tchaikovsky's music is one of my best favourites . His music is full of melody and harmony and expresses deep human feelings. His 6th is one of the greatest symphonies ever written.

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited 11-06-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
          Joy, The notion that Tchaikovsky commited suicide has been hanging on since he died. Some say because of his sexual orientation he was going to be brought before a tribunal of his peers for an on going affair he had with the nephew of an offical. If found guilty he would have had to either commit suicide or have the affair go public.
          This has been in the last few years debunked by people who have studied the case. I personally think in all probabilty he died from cholera but that it was not a suicidal decision. In Russia, at the time of Tchaikovsky, if convicted of homosexual acts the death penalty could be imposed. Putting aside Tchaikovsky's private life the man composed some beautiful music.

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 11-06-2004).]
          I find it hard to believe he could have accidentally drunk unboiled water - I think he knew what he was doing and it was suicide (he had tried before in 1877 after his disastrous marriage). As to the motive, well here I agree there is room for debate.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            I find it hard to believe he could have accidentally drunk unboiled water - I think he knew what he was doing and it was suicide (he had tried before in 1877 after his disastrous marriage). As to the motive, well here I agree there is room for debate.

I guess we will never really know just how he died. I have read as much for the suicide theory as the case for dying 'naturally'.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
              I guess we will never really know just how he died. I have read as much for the suicide theory as the case for dying 'naturally'.
              Perhaps,
              But fact still remains that Tjaikovsky was a practising gay, he refers too it himself by calling it X and I've read somewhere that he wrote letters too his brother *modeste I believe was his name* in which he describes the italian boy's brothels one might say,,,he had a good time in italy with boys and he described his fortunes and disfortunes quite explicitly.If one thus may conclude tjaikovsky was a gay person involved in a society in which homosexuality was VERY NOT DONE the suicide option seems more reasonable too me especially regarding the fact that tjaikovsky was no fool he knew that there was cholera or atleast he knew the risks surrounding the consumption of unboiled water.

Regards,

Ruud

------------------
              Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Is that how he died though by drinking unboiled water? Whether by suicide or accident? Which, by the way, I find it hard to believe also that he would accidentally drink the 'polluted' water. Times were sure different in those days that he would be sentenced to death possibly just for a sexual preference.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                  Is that how he died though by drinking unboiled water? Whether by suicide or accident? Which, by the way, I find it hard to believe also that he would accidentally drink the 'polluted' water. Times were sure different in those days that he would be sentenced to death possibly just for a sexual preference.

Did he indeed die from cholera? I have read reports that have been printed about his sickness that lead some in the medical field to say that his illness and symptoms do not lend credence to cholera. Like I said who really knows what he died from and what possible cover-ups occurred regarding his death. Like you say living in that time was sure different.
                  KS

Comment

Working...
                  X