New book on the market!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New book on the market!

Joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-George. My classical station has declared this new book their 'book of the month'.

Here's a review: "Monsieur de Saint-George: Virtuoso, Swordsman, Revolutionary: A Legendary Life Rediscovered by Alain Guede. This book chronicles the amazing life of Joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-George, the son of a slave mother and landowner father who grew up to be a championship fencer, an amazing virtuoso violinist and popular composer and conductor in Paris in the 1700s". We've talked about this before on the forum so anyone who is interested here's the book for you!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I have a story, at a school jumble sale recently I bought the 2001 edition of Thayer's Life - a concise (still 600+ pages! some colour pics too) edit, in hardback, in a presentation box - all in total mint unread condition for just £2! I gave them £5.
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

There is a great little book in the 2nd hand store titled "Beethoven's England" ,it seems to be about Beethoven's treasures in British libraries and museums. It was published in the late 30's .Only $20 Cdn.
      But I haven't bought it yet.I look for it when I go downtown occasionally ,it's been there for a couple of years now.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-George. My classical station has declared this new book their 'book of the month'.

Here's a review: "Monsieur de Saint-George: Virtuoso, Swordsman, Revolutionary: A Legendary Life Rediscovered by Alain Guede. This book chronicles the amazing life of Joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-George, the son of a slave mother and landowner father who grew up to be a championship fencer, an amazing virtuoso violinist and popular composer and conductor in Paris in the 1700s". We've talked about this before on the forum so anyone who is interested here's the book for you!

St George was also a soldier and fought in many bloody battles,he was arrested and languished in prison till he charmed his way out.He was a great ladies man and wrote some very very beautiful music for strings.
        It's a great story.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I have a story, at a school jumble sale recently I bought the 2001 edition of Thayer's Life - a concise (still 600+ pages! some colour pics too) edit, in hardback, in a presentation box - all in total mint unread condition for just £2! I gave them £5.
          Vey lucky!! Excellent find - there is a good 2nd hand bookshop near me but I've never seen Thayer there and I doubt it would be at that price!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I found the paperback Forbes/Thayer at the 2nd hand bookstore for $8.99 Cdn. It was a steal.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Excellent buy Rod!! Good for you! Sometimes you do find good buys in places where you don't expect it! I have several second hand bookstores around me and have found some wonderful buys. I've bought Beethoven; His Spiritual Development and The Collector's Beethoven for $2.00! Also Beethoven's Bicentennial Edition (1770-1970) for $20.00 so it's fun to go in and browse and sometimes you find a real treasure at a bargain price!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 11-05-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                There is a great little book in the 2nd hand store titled "Beethoven's England" ,it seems to be about Beethoven's treasures in British libraries and museums. It was published in the late 30's .Only $20 Cdn.
                But I haven't bought it yet.I look for it when I go downtown occasionally ,it's been there for a couple of years now.
                Sounds like a very interesting book! I'd go back and buy it if I were you! Also the Thayer's book sounded like a good price. Sounds like some good buys you all are finding!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X