On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

1782-1840, Italian violin virtuoso and composer Niccolo Paganini is born in Genoa.
    "There was a feeling of Satanism about this tall, dark, emaciated Italian. Musicians swarmed to his concerts trying to figure out how he achieved these effects. The public also flocked, and many of the more superstitious listeners believed him in league with the devil. Paganini did nothing to dispel the notion. One of his tricks was to break a string in the middle of a composition and continue to the end on three strings. No instrumentalist in history caused the sheer mania that Paganini did, nor had anybody else ever brought such an element of calculated, brilliant showmanship to his work."
    From "The Lives of the Great Composers"

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I think if I could see one past great in live performance it would have to be Paganini; he inspired so many composers of the 19th century, he must have been something unbelievably special. Liszt too would have been great to see, and Chopin; these three were perhaps the most unique performers ever to live.

Comment

Originally posted by Haffner:
      I think if I could see one past great in live performance it would have to be Paganini; he inspired so many composers of the 19th century, he must have been something unbelievably special. Liszt too would have been great to see, and Chopin; these three were perhaps the most unique performers ever to live.
      I think hearing Beethoven improvise should be added to that LisZt!! (sorry couldn't resist it )

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

A different genre and time scale of course but I actually saw Jimi Hendrix play once - many moons ago in this great Metropolis. His legend fully reflects what happened on stage at the time. Maybe one day Jimi will join the list as one of the greatest musical perfomers ever

------------------
        Love from London
        Love from London

Comment

Working...
        X