I'm Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Back

hello everyone. i have not posted here in quite some time. my computer has been broken and i have just got it back from the "shop". i just wanted to see what was going on with everyone. and also i wanted to ask you all about Prelude Number 15 by Chopin. The Raindrop prelude it is called. what do you think of it? im supposed to be preforming it in a couple of months. im so exited my first performance and with such a beautiful song. man i hope i dont mess up. oh and what are the challengs to that song. i want to know so that i may pay extra attention to them. thank you.

Welcome back!

Well, I like it, as I do most of Chopin's output. I have never played it, so I can't help you with specifics. But you are fortunate indeed to be able to have the chance to perform Chopin.

One thing, though; it is not a "song," since it has no words.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 09-17-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by KyleC:
      hello everyone. i have not posted here in quite some time. my computer has been broken and i have just got it back from the "shop". i just wanted to see what was going on with everyone. and also i wanted to ask you all about Prelude Number 15 by Chopin. The Raindrop prelude it is called. what do you think of it? im supposed to be preforming it in a couple of months. im so exited my first performance and with such a beautiful song. man i hope i dont mess up. oh and what are the challengs to that song. i want to know so that i may pay extra attention to them. thank you.
      You're fortunate indeed..I played this piece aswell some time ago at the graduation ceremony of my school *I didn't graduate the class above me did*..What I found most difficult was to keep the whole from being too loud and where the piece transposes and the melody goes to the left hand..that's quite the challenge aswell..but it's a very rewarding piece..People who actually never listened too classical music before came up too me after the ceremony and said they'd not heard such beautifull music in long time..*they ofcourse ment chopin *

Regards,
      Ruud.

P.s A song without word then perhaps??or is that too describing aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        One thing, though; it is not a "song," since it has no words.

I thought this was an American thing to refer to any work as a song - lots of Americans on this site refer to sonatas , concertos and symphonies as songs! Thanks for clearing that up Chris!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I think a lot of people use the term 'song' as a generalization in the music world.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

yes i am American and i do call it a song. that is among one of the many words we call pieces. i know it does not have words but here it is called a song. so get used to it. hehe jk.

[This message has been edited by KyleC (edited 09-17-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by KyleC:

One of the most imaginative and lyrical preludes, this work is technically simple but poses some expressive difficulties.

First, don't call it the "Raindrop" prelude, Chopin never did and would have hated the title. Second, the pedaling is very important so watch Chopin's pedal markings (which you hopefully have in the edition you are using) and follow them immaculately. He was a perfectionist and these pedal markings help to convey his intended colour at various points so even if it sounds cluttered (which it shouldn't) adhere to his markings.

Really the only other thing to pay attention to is the shift to minor tonality with the octaves. These octaves are not the melody and thus you should bring out the notes in the bass and the alto parts, not the octaves, which are the soprano and tenor. Try to keep them even and most of all watch the suspensions; when done correctly, they produce the most wonderful effects.

That's about all. It sounds like you are passionate about the music and that is the most important thing. Remember that a forte in Chopin is a piano in Beethoven and his music must be quiet but always singing.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                I think a lot of people use the term 'song' as a generalization in the music world.

Yes but we're perfectionists here, after all Beethoven never referred to an upcoming sonata or symphony as his next Lied! A song is a piece of music set to words and sung! Mendelssohn's songs without words are the only allowed exceptions!

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

this thread vividly illustrates how grammarians came into being

Comment

Working...
                  X