Sawing off piano legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sawing off piano legs

A story was relayed to me that Beethoven had sawed off the legs of his piano in order that he might "feel" the vibrations of his music. Is there any truth to this? Any biography that mentions it?

i have heard the same story but im not sure if it is true or not. i am taking a guess and saying that it is because the source that i heard it from is very reliable. but i could be wrong.

Comment

I think the story must originate from Beethoven's numerous moves to different lodgings - someone must have seen the instrument dismantled for this purpose and assumed Beethoven played it that way - it is impossible for anyone to play a piano on the floor!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter is right ,the legs were removed for transport(often) but they were never"sawed off".One of Beethoven's piano's was a treasured possession of Franz Liszt.I think it was the Broadwood but I could be wrong.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I also heard the same thing too back in high school you guys.

Of course peter is right..I thought this story was some kind of rumor. I guess it's not.

[This message has been edited by ~Immortal Beloved~ (edited 10-18-2004).]

Comment

Another myth to go along with the many false legends of Beethoven. I have heard this story many times myself and thought it impossible to play a piano with the legs sawed off. I think people like to 'romantize' famous people.

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Another myth to go along with the many false legends of Beethoven. I have heard this story many times myself and thought it impossible to play a piano with the legs sawed off. I think people like to 'romantize' famous people.

Whilst on the subject of legs, I discovered the legs on Beethoven's Graf are not the originals. This does not surprise me as on all the other contemporary Grafs i have seen the legs take the form of cylindrical columns not the more ornate efforts seen today on Beethoven's.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                Whilst on the subject of legs, I discovered the legs on Beethoven's Graf are not the originals. This does not surprise me as on all the other contemporary Grafs i have seen the legs take the form of cylindrical columns not the more ornate efforts seen today on Beethoven's.

I wonder how often the piano legs might have been lost in the many moves of Beethoven,the poor piano might have sat legless for weeks while the 'unpacking 'progressed .They could have been mistaken for broken furniture and used for firewood in lean times.

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                  I wonder how often the piano legs might have been lost in the many moves of Beethoven,the poor piano might have sat legless for weeks while the 'unpacking 'progressed .They could have been mistaken for broken furniture and used for firewood in lean times.

The Graf's legs were 'lost' I'm sure after B was in the grave.

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                  X