Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Piano Concerto nr4 Op.58

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

I recorded this mp3 at a much lower resolution that usual to give you the whole first movement in one file at a reasonable size (about 7.5mb). Obviously the quality will not be as good but hopefully it will be acceptable, let me know your impressions. I haven't heard it yet myself. The performance is first rate and the Graf piano yields a wonderful colour to Beethoven's florid writing.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      I recorded this mp3 at a much lower resolution that usual to give you the whole first movement in one file at a reasonable size (about 7.5mb). Obviously the quality will not be as good but hopefully it will be acceptable, let me know your impressions. I haven't heard it yet myself. The performance is first rate and the Graf piano yields a wonderful colour to Beethoven's florid writing.

I love the performance rod, although the version of emil gilels playing it on a modern piano is quite lovely aswell..What I'd like too know when footpedals were being common for piano's in the time of beethoven and wether they had a different function back then than they have now.

Comment

Thankyou Rod,
        This is excellent authentic playing, and the orchestra were first class.
        The opening of this most wonderful concerto signals an awesome work of art about to unfold.

------------------
        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Anner Bylsma is the interpreter?
          But Anner Bylsma is the famous cellist.

Comment

Originally posted by leonardooliveira:
            Yes this rather puzzled me as well, but she does play exceedingly well in this recording!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
              I love the performance rod, although the version of emil gilels playing it on a modern piano is quite lovely aswell..What I'd like too know when footpedals were being common for piano's in the time of beethoven and wether they had a different function back then than they have now.
              In 1783 Broadwood introduced a sustaining pedal and is credited with its invention. However, there is a Backers Grand of 1772 in the Russell Museum, Edinburgh with two pedals, one on each front leg pointing inwards. The right is a sustaining pedal, the left an una corda, so Americus Backers was the first to use the sustaining pedal and the una corda.

Pianos with four or more pedals were common in the early 19th century (Beethoven's 1803 Erard is such an instrument, it has
              4 pedals : lute-stop, sustaining, sourdine and una corda)

For more info take a look at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/bpianos.html

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by leonardooliveira:
                Sorry it is Paul Badura-Skoda playing! Bylsma plays in the Trio Concerto also on the disk. I'm getting old and my mind is going.

------------------

Comment

Yes this rather puzzled me as well, but she does play exceedingly well in this recording!

Bylsma is a HE!!

------------------

Comment

Yes, a "he" indeed, one of the greatest exponents of period music on the cello. And Mr. Badura-Skoda is the saem to the fortepiano. Lovely interpretation of my favorite PC. Thanks, Rod.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Bylsma is a HE!!

Badura Skoda has been restored to his rightful position and apologies for the slight on Bylsma's gender! (Perhaps the parents should apologise!)

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                        Yes, a "he" indeed, one of the greatest exponents of period music on the cello. And Mr. Badura-Skoda is the saem to the fortepiano. Lovely interpretation of my favorite PC. Thanks, Rod.

This is the best authentic version you can currently get but it is an old and rare recording. The slow movemement is good too though the finale suffers a little in that the producer is one of those who believes things like trumpets and drums should be seen and not heard!

------------------

Comment

I was wondering about the original piano accompaniments to the orchestral tuttis? Do you have a version with those? Robert Levin uses them in his performance of the concertos.

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 10-14-2004).]
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I was wondering about the original piano accompaniments to the orchestral tuttis? Do you have a version with those? Robert Levin uses them in his performance of the concertos.

I have the Hogwood set of concertos with Steven Lubin which also apparently uses them, but are so quiet in the mix they are barely, if at all, audible. I've only got the disk with the chamber version of no4 from the Gardiner/Levin set. I've heard 1 and 2 from that set and thought the tempi were too lame so that put me off. Also have experience of Levin's liberal attitude to adding notes not in the score - another turn off.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-14-2004).]

Comment

I have the Hogwood set of concertos with Steven Lubin which also apparently uses them, but are so quiet in the mix they are barely, if at all, audible. I've only got the disk with the chamber version of no4 from the Gardiner/Levin set. I've heard 1 and 2 from that set and thought the tempi were too lame so that put me off. Also have experience of Levin's liberal attitude to adding notes not in the score - another turn off.

Aside from the scores, do we have any other evidence that Beethoven would have performed these concertos this way and why do you think this is no longer the case?

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X