Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schubert's Unfinished Symphony

Book Review.
    A recent book about Schubert coming back to finish his unfinished symphony, entitled -
    'Sleeping with Schubert' by Bonnie Marson.
    It looks quite interesting even though it is fictional. http://www.bookpage.com/0408bp/fiction/schubert.html

We all have a sense that there is an incompleteness in certain composers oeuvre.
    This is glaringly so with a tragic figure like Schubert of course.

Are there other composers that correspondents here would like to return to life to finish their unfinished works?? It goes without saying that everyone's first choice will be Beethoven!

I would like to have seen Beethoven finish the Opera, Vestas Feuer. I believe that the first act was completed and wonder whether it has ever been recorded.

------------------
    ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-17-2004).]
    ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Amalie, that book has been discussed on my classical radio station and here's a synopsis of "Sleeping with Schubert" by the station's music critic:

"KBAQ's Randy Kinkel reviews this first novel by Arizonan Bonnie Marson that explores the upheaval in a lawyer's life when she discovers her body and mind have become inhabited by the spirit of composer Franz Schubert!" Interesting concept!

In regards to your latter query I would have to wonder what would Beethoven's Piano Concerto #6 sound like and also his Symphony #10 had he finished it.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:
      Book Review.

I would like to have seen Beethoven finish the Opera, Vestas Feuer. I believe that the first act was completed and wonder whether it has ever been recorded.

It has indeed, Amalie. The opening scene of Act One survives in full score and takes the form of a large scale Trio that initially involves a fourth character who then leaves the stage. The music is so good that it's a tragedy to be left with this bleeding chunk but one of the reasons Beethoven abandoned it was that he was presented with the subject of "Fidelio", the opera he was born to write.
      However, part of the opening of "Vestas Feuer" found its way into the duet "O namelose Freude" in the later opera.
      The only recording I know of the opening of "Vestas Feuer" - which is about eleven minutes in length - is included in Volume 3 of the Complete Beethoven Edition(Orchestral Works/Music for the Stage), a five CD set which was - and might still be - available separately.
      Maybe somebody knows of another recording?

Michael

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael:
        [B] It has indeed, Amalie. The opening scene of Act One survives in full score and takes the form of a large scale Trio that initially involves a fourth character who then leaves the stage. The music is so good that it's a tragedy to be left with this bleeding chunk but one of the reasons Beethoven abandoned it was that he was presented with the subject of "Fidelio", the opera he was born to write.
        However, part of the opening of "Vestas Feuer" found its way into the duet "O namelose Freude" in the later opera.
        The only recording I know of the opening of "Vestas Feuer" - which is about eleven minutes in length - is included in Volume 3 of the Complete Beethoven Edition(Orchestral Works/Music for the Stage), a five CD set which was - and might still be - available separately.
        Maybe somebody knows of another recording?

Thankyou so much Michael for this fascinating information. I have been meaning for some time to search for such a set.
        It would be most intereting to learn of another recording.

------------------
        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 10-17-2004).]
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Working...
        X