Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hearing the ninth - Part II : The wrath of Böhm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearing the ninth - Part II : The wrath of Böhm.

Okey, for those who read my post at the "What are you listening right now" thread, this continues my saga.

There I was lying on my bed when I suddenly realised: "Hey, I have a WPO recording of the ninth, it's Böhm! it's alive! it's alive!". Yes, Böhm, the almighty Tristan und Isolde, Böhm, the ever so fine Schubert and Mozart, Böhm. And the WPO. WPO, TEH BRUTE POWER, WPO, the Solti Wagner recordings, WPO. And Jessey Norman, Brigite Fassbaender, Placido Domingo and Walter Berry. Who could go wrong with this?
    Who could go wrong with a recording that was bought at lower-than-low-price at a DG 99 newstand issues (this happened here in Brasil and Spain, AFAK).

This is how I bought it: the first, commemorative, edition of this newstand set was Karajan superb recording of Sheherazade, since it was the first and commemorative, Böhm's 9th came along.
    This is how I first heard it: heard the third movement and liked it. Started on the first and found it slow, then I stopped it and never played it again for 2 years, until last night.
    This is how I heard it last night:
    We all know of the WPO and it's might, of Böhm and his Karajan-Fricsay way of conducting, something superb in the middle. Well, WTF HAPPENED???
    Böhm was lazy, unconsiderate, crappy. Domingo as always can't sing in german, he sings in latin. Berry was abyssal. The WPO with all it's might was the only good thing about it and Böhm managed to wreck that too. I have never heard the some of the WPO come late, too late or even early, they were always water-tight!
    Also, what the mother*****ing thing happened to the tempo? Gardiner could squeeze both the 8th and the 9th in the languid 79'03" 9th of Böhm, heck!, even Karajan could!
    Böhm lost it between his changing a lot of octaves for the violins, flutes and piccolos, speeding DOWN, and loosing the water-tightness power of the WPO.
    The one reason I'm keeping this recording: it was a bonus (that means, I paid for the superb Karajan Sheherazade and it came along), I need to have it to show it's flaws everytime someone tells me it's great.

Sheesh! I needed to get this out of my chest!

P.S.: Did I count it wrong, or does the first movement have 512 bars? 512 = 2 at the 9th power. 2 = D (1 = C, 2 = D, 3 = E...). Am I seeing to much pattern into things? Did I count it wrong? Go figure.
    P.S.2: I don't find the third movement of the mentioned recording that beautiful anymore, for me it's lost in too much stupor.
    P.S.3: Sorry for the lenghty topic.
    P.S.4: Enough post scriptum .

------------------
    "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

"""""""
    Böhm was lazy, unconsiderate, crappy. Domingo as always can't sing in german, he sings in latin. Berry was abyssal. The WPO with all it's might was the only good thing about it and Böhm managed to wreck that too. I have never heard the some of the WPO come late, too late or even early, they were always water-tight!
    """""""

Thanks for confirming my worst LVB interpretive experiences... High up there has always been Bohm...

Did you ever hear the Toscanini takeoff of the 9th? Esp the one with tenor Jan Peerce... That is an absolutely fabulous rendition still never topped (in my humble opinion). The best part of this whole thing is that CD's have been made reproducing the really horrible quality sound recordings of these gems. Thank goodness that the lousy auditory qualities could not bury the absolute mastery of the Toscanini/Peerce performances.

I hope you'll agree.

------------------
    A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage
    A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic:
      Thanks for confirming my worst LVB interpretive experiences... High up there has always been Bohm...

Did you ever hear the Toscanini takeoff of the 9th? Esp the one with tenor Jan Peerce... That is an absolutely fabulous rendition still never topped (in my humble opinion). The best part of this whole thing is that CD's have been made reproducing the really horrible quality sound recordings of these gems. Thank goodness that the lousy auditory qualities could not bury the absolute mastery of the Toscanini/Peerce performances.

I hope you'll agree.

That's the problem with Toscanini recordings, superb performances, sound.

------------------
      "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
        That's the problem with Toscanini recordings, superb performances, sound.

There is a recent release of the 9 symphonies with the Missa Solemnis and Egmont Overture that is a remastered set. Improvement in this is significant.

Comment

Whilst we're in this vein I've got a recording of the 5th done by Klemperer and the Vienna SYMPHONY Orchestra that was the first disc in a part-work series on the Great Composers that I subscribed to many moons ago. It also is absolutely atrocious - plods along with some really strange thudding rhythms, particularly in the first movement that make it sound like Beethoven had a wooden leg! It makes me weep with frustration to hear how he manages to mangle this masterpiece - But I keep it to show just how bad things can be and to heighten my appreciation of the sublime and life-enhancing Kleiber recording of this and the 7th which I could die happily listening to.

------------------
          Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 10-15-2004).]
          Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
            Whilst we're in this vein I've got a recording of the 5th done by Klemperer and the Vienna SYMPHONY Orchestra that was the first disc in a part-work series on the Great Composers that I subscribed to many moons ago. It also is absolutely atrocious - plods along with some really strange thudding rhythms, particularly in the first movement that make it sound like Beethoven had a wooden leg! It makes me weep with frustration to hear how he manages to mangle this masterpiece - But I keep it to show just how bad things can be and to heighten my appreciation of the sublime and life-enhancing Kleiber recording of this and the 7th which I could die happily listening to.

What we consider "Bad" renditions now were considered mainstream back 50 or 60 years ago. Stokowski recorded B's 5th with a tempo so slow that it could put you to sleep. What has happened is that the conductors of today are taking a second look at the scores and adhering more and more to the tempo markings instead of saying "What the composer meant was....." I think we are at or close to hearing Beethoven the way he might wanted to have his music performed. We seem to have shaken the "Rambling Romantic" approach to his music.
            Furtwangler took B's tempos on the slow side as well as Klemperer. There was an LP recording made in 1956 of the Beethoven "Eroica" with Hermann Scherchen conducting the Vienna State Opera Orchestra.(Not one of the greats back then).His tempos were fast and considered blasphemous back then, and now they are in vogue.
            KS

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 10-16-2004).]

Comment

Working...
            X