info on a musical term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

info on a musical term

Have listened to lots of classical music on radio and have heard the term korkel or cherchel when referring to a variation of
    a certain composition. I would a) like to know how to spell it
    b) find out what it means,
    c) understand why it has been so difficult to find out its meaning. I have asked many
    people, including music students but they cannot grasp my question, pronunciation or spellting?? Help please with such and easy answer. I have looked thru music dictionaries with no success.

Thanks in advance!

I think the word you have been hearing is "Kochel" - the "ch" in the middle sounding like another "K". It is a means of identifying the works of Mozart and is so called after Ludwig von Kochel, a botanist and mineralogist, who took it upon himself to tidy up and classify the works of his favourite composer. He also helped towards the production of the first complete edition of Mozart's works. Mozart's last symphony, for example, is officially listed as "Symphony No. 41 in C major, K.551". Usually the initial K is used but radio announcers love to rattle out the word "Kochel" in full now and again.
    An odd time you might see K.V. - the V standing for "Verzeichnis" or "list".

Michael

Comment

Working...
    X