I need information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need information

i have to do a project on Beethoven does anyone know some really good sites that have helpful information?

Originally posted by usanamentbinused:
    i have to do a project on Beethoven does anyone know some really good sites that have helpful information?
    Well, if you are looking for one that will spit out a completed project, then no, sorry, don't know one. If you are looking for specific information, have some questions that need answered, and are willing to do a little looking about, then you are already at an excellent place. If you have a question still unanswered at the end of your research here, just ask and it will be answered. Good luck,

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

yes this site is filled with great information on Beethoven and on classical music in general. The people here are both friendly and informative. if you have any questions they would be more than happy to help you. however another good site is madaboutbeethoven.com.

Comment

Here is one your going to enjoy..I bet this one will give you more about him.
        www.lvbeethoven.com

Comment

Originally posted by ~Immortal Beloved~:
          Here is one your going to enjoy..I bet this one will give you more about him.
          www.lvbeethoven.com
          Interesting site, IB. Enjoyed the pictures, thanks!

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            Interesting site, IB. Enjoyed the pictures, thanks!

Anytime Joy! I know you beethoven fans would love it so much like me.

Comment

I need some information on Beethoven and his deafness, specifically. Does anyone know of any material out there?

Comment

Originally posted by tiger829:
                I need some information on Beethoven and his deafness, specifically. Does anyone know of any material out there?
                The cause of Beethoven's deafness is generally thought to have been Otosclerosis - the abnormal growth of bone of the inner ear. This bone prevents structures within the ear from working properly and causes hearing loss.
                Otosclerosis is a disease, which results in new bone formation either in the area of the stapes bone or in the cochlea housing the hearing nerve; or it can be a combination of both. When the bony deposits infiltrate the stapes bone, this bone is unable to vibrate and pass the sound into the inner ear. This results in what is called a conductive hearing loss, i.e., the sound is not being properly "conducted" into the inner ear. As a general rule, the thicker the bony deposit the greater the hearing loss, and the longer the hearing loss, the greater is the amount of deposits. The fixation of the stapes usually follows a slow and relentless course with progressively worsening hearing.

1796/8 : First signs of deafness

1801 : Complains of buzzing in ears in letter to Wegeler & Amenda

1802 : "Heiligenstadt testament" - Beethoven writes of his despair at worsening hearing

1814 : Further deterioration sets in. Last public appearence as pianist

1816-18 : Use of ear trumpets

1818-27 : Conversation books. (Conversation had to be written)

1823 : Almost totally deaf (left ear not as bad as right)

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by tiger829:
                  I read recently that his deafness may have been caused by mercury oxcide poisoning due to the lead in the wine he drank and bowls he used. This is just a theory and is disucssed in the book called "Beethoven's Hair" by Russell Martin. If you are wondering about the title, the entire theory was devised from the the high levels of mercury discovered in a lock of Beethoven's hair recently acutioned. I haven't read the book but apparently it's quite interesting and might be worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Haffner:
                    I read recently that his deafness may have been caused by mercury oxcide poisoning due to the lead in the wine he drank and bowls he used. This is just a theory and is disucssed in the book called "Beethoven's Hair" by Russell Martin. If you are wondering about the title, the entire theory was devised from the the high levels of mercury discovered in a lock of Beethoven's hair recently acutioned. I haven't read the book but apparently it's quite interesting and might be worth checking out.
                    If this were so, an awful lot of people would have been deaf! As I recall, the book suggested that lead found in the mineral water was responsible for many of Beethoven's symptoms - again, visiting spas and drinking the waters was popular with many people so I'm not convinced.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Then you could look at this from both sides and say that Beethoven was so famous and that's why we hear about him having lead poisoning where other less famous people may have had it but we would never know it.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                        Then you could look at this from both sides and say that Beethoven was so famous and that's why we hear about him having lead poisoning where other less famous people may have had it but we would never know it.

I'm not denying Beethoven had high lead levels - (I've no doubt that the general population would have had lead levels far higher than is considered safe today) however I don't believe it was the cause of his deafness which is generally considered to be due to thickening of the bone in the middle ear (otosclerosis).

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                        X