Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    Spacerl,
    You know, now that you have expanded your interests beyond Renaissance vocal music, you prove to have great taste. This beats warblers and lutenists all to be damned, doesn't it??
    Sorry Gurn, you always get this wrong ,it is the music of the restoration that I admire.
    spacerl
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
      Sorry Gurn, you always get this wrong ,it is the music of the restoration that I admire.
      spacerl
      You say to-MAH-to and I say to-MAY-to... Anything before the music that I like is Renaissance to me! So, WAYLTN?

For me, it is the Symphony #3 of Eduard Tubin. That's right, 20th century! What's your point? Sounds kinda like Late Romantic, light on the dissonance, but some weird sounds in there too. I've heard worse, believe me!

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Radio:

Sibelius: Violin Concerto,
        Ilya Gringolts, (violin)

Sir Hamilton Harty:
        The Children of Lir,
        An Irish Legend about the Children of King Lir who were turned into swans by their stepmother.
        The legend goes that the children of Lir died, Mochaomhog dreamed that he saw four beautiful children flying over the lake and going straight up to heaven.
        Today, the legend of the children of Lir lives on in the beautiful silver Jewelry that is made in Ireland, the folklore which can be heard recounted by story tellers in Irish pubs around the country, and swans are still protected in Ireland.

and now:

Dvorak's bagatelles, 0p.47
        Martinu String Quartet.
        Ann Page (pianist)

------------------
        ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
        ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

A little later I will listen to some Mozart Overtures. They have drive!

Comment

Muriel, So you like the Vivaldi's winter months, eh? I have to admit that one is pretty good too! By the way, I have just picked up the Beethoven's book "Images and Mythmaking" from the local library. Looks very good! Now if only I can find the time to read it!!

Amalie, thanks very much for the words to Vivaldi's season's, they're beautiful. I will print the out for sure! Also enjoyed reading the Irish legend, very interesting indeed!

Tonight it's Beethoven's Symphony #2 and #7 via radio! I fear it shall keep me awake tonight! Earlier today it was "Leonora" Overture No. 2 with Conductor Bela Drahos
            and the Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia Orchestra; A very good recording indeed. They brought out every note and the tempo was fine. Also earlier it was Haydn’s Symphony #30 all via radio. Good night all!

------------------
            'Truth and beauty joined'
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Amalie,
              Oh those Irish, such a charming folk! Nice story. Now I know why I have all that Romantic in me, it's my ancestry Aren't those Dvorak Bagatelles just great? The version I have actually uses the harmonium instead of the piano, it is a most unusual sounding instrument. And finally, a composer who dared to call his works "bagatelles" after Beethoven owned it.

Pastrl,
              Well, I hope you listened to that Figaro Overture just for me. Don't you just love that first 4 bars of woodwinds? It sets up the whole piece perfectly.

Joy,
              What, nothing for the Gurnster tonight? I am desolated. I bet that Haydn' was nice, perfect complement for all that lovely Beethoven!

Well, for me, I return to one of my all time favorites, the Concerto in c minor - #2 - Op 18 - Sergei Rachmaninov. The pinaccle of Late Romantic Piano Concertos, IMHO. And this is the outstanding version of Vladimir Ashkenazy with the LSO/Andre Previn. Oooohh... beautiful!

------------------
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well, for me, I return to one of my all time favorites, the Concerto in c minor - #2 - Op 18 - Sergei Rachmaninov. The pinaccle of Late Romantic Piano Concertos, IMHO. And this is the outstanding version of Vladimir Ashkenazy with the LSO/Andre Previn. Oooohh... beautiful!

It's exactly the record I'm listening right now! Perhaps my favorite record.

After that, I'll listen for first time Schubert Sonata D 960 & Schumann Kinderszenen played by Vladimir Horowitz.

Comment

Beethoven: Mass in C,
                  Monteverdi Choir,
                  Orchestra Revolutionnaire et Romantque.
                  Sir John Eliot Gardiner.

Tallis:
                  Videle Miraculum
                  Chapelle du Roi\
                  Alistair Dixon

Vaughan Williams:
                  Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
                  London Philharmonic Orchestra

Schubert:
                  Fantasy in C, "Wandererfantasia"
                  Sviatoslav Richter, (piano)

------------------

Comment

atserri,
                    Ah, I knew you were a person of taste! Yes, not only are those great concertos, but IMHO the playing is superb also. Nice piano music to follow up with, too. Schubert's last sonata is the whole spectrum of emotions. There are some ideas for today, thanks!

Amalie,
                    Well, I just got that Richter "Wanderer" last week, and I was blown away by it, easily the most powerful performance I have heard. And on my disk, it is paired up with the best (and only good) performance of Dvorak's Piano Concerto, with the orchestra being conducted by Carlos Kleiber, no less. Richter is some kind of pianist. I just ordered his Beethoven 3 to hear what he sounds like doing B. Should be great!

For me now, it is the Symphony in c minor - #1 - Op 5 - Neils Gade - As we were talking about with Gade last week, he is unheralded now, but highly thought of in his time, the mid-19th century. He trained at Leipzeig with Mendelssohn, and in fact was Mendelssohn's successor with the Gewandhaus Orchestra. He gave it up after a few years and returned to Denmark to try to establish a music culture there, but it was less than successful. Then he died. Left behind a lot of good music though, hope more of it is played.

------------------
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                      [B]atserri,
                      Ah, I knew you were a person of taste! Yes, not only are those great concertos, but IMHO the playing is superb also. Nice piano music to follow up with, too. Schubert's last sonata is the whole spectrum of emotions. There are some ideas for today, thanks!

Amalie,
                      Well, I just got that Richter "Wanderer" last week, and I was blown away by it, easily the most powerful performance I have heard. And on my disk, it is paired up with the best (and only good) performance of Dvorak's Piano Concerto, with the orchestra being conducted by Carlos Kleiber, no less. Richter is some kind of pianist. I just ordered his Beethoven 3 to hear what he sounds like doing B. Should be great! :

====

Yes, Gurn, Richter certinly is a fine pianist and plays with power and expression, I thought a bit too loud at times, for my liking, IMHO. It is said that he could span a whole octave between his thumb and index finger!
                      We shall have wait for your opinion to see what the 'Richter Scale' is like on Beethoven..
                      Do let me know.

Oh, asterri, I too love Schubert's Piano Sonata D960 .

I was listening earlier to:

Mozart: Concerto in D, K211,
                      Academy of St.Martin in the Fields.
                      Iona Brown, (violin)
                      It was superb!

and some songs from Schubert:

Horch, Horch, die Lerch, D889
                      (Hark, Hark, the Lark) Ich denke.

und Der Erlkonig, D328
                      Sung by, Gerhard Husch (baritone)
                      Hans Udo Muller, (piano)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-28-2004).]

Comment

Beethoven's Sonata No 3 in E flat ,op 12 .
                        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Sorry, I have delayed... It feels like an eternity since my last post.
                          Anything before the music that I like is Renaissance to me!
                          Well, I am not nearly as old as that
                          (are we speaking 16th century, or what?)
                          but can't it be, that You, here, see
                          the Renaissance concept in me?

INTERMEZZO, here ("form is essential!")

Dear Friends! My listening
                          LvB ~ Group of 3 Marches f. pf-duet (Opus 45)
                          Tchaikovsky ~ Concert fantasy f. pf, orch.
                          ______________Manfred Symphony

Pastorali I read you newly bought yourself 'The Creatures of Prometheus'(complete ballet) on Naxos. How is it working for you? I have heard 3 recorded versions of this - the second was this Naxos one. I think its marvellous music. (We all could hear two fine numbers from it in yet another recording some time ago, thanks to Rod!)
                          The ballet music has been criticised for being badly apt to dancing. Thus I feel the more content with mere listening.

Gurn Blank-step I owe you the results from my 'examination' of Lvb's operatic endeavors. Even though I realize a dramaturgic advantage by having you put on tenterhooks I assure you, I didn't conciously intend ... bla, bla, bla ... bla, bla, bla.:¨
                          There's news in my Tzaykovskiy collection, as well. Both his early symphonic poem 'Fatum', and his music for cello and orchestra. All great works: Masterpieces, I dare say, however, not too loud.-His Ballets, Operas, and late Symphonies are far masterly! (including the one in E major!!!)

Amalie I will present you with favourite songs, and other works by Franz Schubert, in case you are still interested. I saw you have his song 'Verklärung',D.59. - I haven't.
                          Where did you get by this lied? I am saving money to buy a disk where it is included.
                          PS. I'm always keen on your 'programmes'. They are great! DS.

'Au revoir', he said...

[This message has been edited by Geratlas (edited 09-28-2004).]

Comment

Gurn, I'm overwhelmed!, thank you very much. I had that cd unlistened for some 4 month since I had quite a long queue of music to listen and a longer queue of music to buy and didn't wanted this latter to increase . Finally I weakened and listened to that Schubert sonata D960 & Schumann Kinderszenen live recording and it's great music & performance.

Yesterday, later on, I listened to Händel's Water music and Music for Royal Fireworks and it was fantastic!!! but even more, the recording & sound was brilliant!!! I'll explain something to all of you, a spanish newspaper is selling with the paper, from monday to wednesday a cd-book (audio cd + 50 page booklet with composer's biography, his profile, the works on the cd, and the performance and discography) for 2,95 euros!!! First ones, I bought them but I had other versions of the music.
                            Yesterday was that Händel record. It's a reedition from the spanish seal Glossa that won the Edison Classical Award 2004 in the baroque category. It's performed by Le Concert Spirituel with real historical (or historic??) instruments and is mentioned that also they built ex profeso 24 oboes, 14 fagots, 9 natural trumpets and 9 natural horns. Sorry for the advertising but it really moved me.

Today is Satie, I've read funny things about him (he said to Debussy that they had to fight for having and creating their own music, without chucrut if possible) but never listened to his music. Any opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri:

Yesterday was that Händel record. It's a reedition from the spanish seal Glossa that won the Edison Classical Award 2004 in the baroque category. It's performed by Le Concert Spirituel with real historical (or historic??) instruments and is mentioned that also they built ex profeso 24 oboes, 14 fagots, 9 natural trumpets and 9 natural horns. Sorry for the advertising but it really moved me.
                              I have this CD and put a few mp3 tracks from it on my Handel site (see my profile for the url). The sound is indeed phenomenal. The Water Music sounds like the epic symphonic suite it should, i think this is unmatched in the realm of symphonic music until Beethoven comes on the scene. The Fireworks Music is shorter and simpler in structure, apart from the overture, as probably befitted its purpose, but you can't beat this collosal scoring compared to some chamber efforts I've heard.

------------------
                              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-29-2004).]
                              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Spacerl,
                                It seems like B waited a long while to write any V & P sonatas (or at least it does to me, since I like them so much!) but when he did they were worth waiting for.

Geratlas,
                                Welcome back, prodigal son. Well, if she means the Restoration, I would think that was mid-17th century although I am no British history guy. Still too far back, Bach and Händel weren't born until 1685, and Vivaldi just a few years before, so music was barely advanced beyond a log and stick and a hollow reed with holes, by my standards! I have all those Tchaikovsky except for the Manfred Symphony. If they are new to you, you will really like them, I think. The Roccoco Variations are a treat.

atserri,
                                Yes, overwhelming music isn't it. The pathos in that sonata can be unbearable especially when one considers it was his last work for piano. That always puts a different light on things. That newpaper has done you a great service then. Especially if you hadn't been listening to authentic instruments before, most people are surprised at how good the sound is, as you were. I have that music by Boston Baroque and it has similar lovely sound and nice individual voices in the instruments instead of that big, smooth homogenized sound you get on modern instruments. No, no Satie for me (I have heard some gymnopedies on the radio, but that doesn't count!)

Rod,
                                Well, even though you didn't share what you are listening to now, we still are delighted to have you join us. Bring us some nice listening ideas.

For me, it is the Symphony in F major - #6 - Op 68 - Louis Beethoven - Chamber Orchestra of Europe / Harnoncourt. There is a lot of competition for "HIP version to have" in B's symphonies, and this is certainly one of the contenders. I think the 6th is a highlight of the cycle. The tempi work for me, and the sound is partcularly good with the individual instruments standing out very nicely.

------------------
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Regards,
                                Gurn
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment