Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn
    atserri,
    You are a braver person that I am! ALthough I must say, you make it sound intriguing. I shall keep my eyes open for that disk.
    I am curious about this! Would you consider the music to be more Eastern than Western and would you consider it to be more 20th Century than 19th? Sounds intriguing!
    Disclaimer : First of all, keep in mind that I'm a listener, not a musician, so I may not be very academic.

The Hashimoto music is very nice, nevertheless the symphony was composed for the 2600th anniversary of Japan so it is (as was ehem... REQUESTED) positive, nationalistic and plain to satisfy a wide audience keeping the grandeur. Once said that, perhaps a little discouraging, the 3rd. movement is for me the more interesting (the first exposes the evolution and history of japan, so the music alternates fights with piece and its last part a little occidentalization, and the 2nd movement consists on traditonal japanese songs from different provinces tied and linked, curious but as said, quite plain). Third movement is a theme (almost a second national anthem is said) and 8 variation, there the use of traditional instruments in more western structures and a composition closer to western, is more interesting. The other piece is more interesting (Heavenly maid and the fisherman) a orchestral ballet very influenced by western ballet, perhaps is a superior piece musically despite was composed 6 years before the symphony, because he had any limitation and was suposed to be more "western".

Yamada: I found him very original and his music more "risky" in terms of occidentalization, the symphony is very emotional since tries to put together the need of peace and the joy of victory in a war. It's certainly a deeper piece, with more profound orchestration (even though has some "military" parts quite simple), and surpisingly, the beginning of the first movement derives from the japanese anthem itself, which I think that in the beginning of 20th century in japan would be shocking.
    I haven't listened to his symphonic poems but they look very promising and emotional.

I'll need some help in defining the music more 19th century-ish ot 20th century-ish.

Comment

King,
      It is my understanding that Händel is pretty much the last of the Baroque composers, certainly he outlived Bach (1750). But he certainly didn't absorb the elements one might expect of Rococco (or galant), such as renunciation of fugue and counterpoint as being too difficult for the listener. I do seem to hear a melodic tendency though, not one derived from the harmony, but one as you would see with homophonic music, so perhaps a bit of current events was being absorbed there. I agree though, his concertos are marvelous, my favorites of him.

Amalie,
      What a splendid opportunity for you! I am once again green-eyed! Fortunately that goes well with my otherwise sallow complexion I agree with you about Brendel's position in the current world of BEethoven performance, many Beethoven piano CD's have passed my hands over the years, but the ones I have stuck with are Brendel 62/Vox, the cheapest ones I have, and my favorites!

atserri,
      Thanks for that background info, it was very interesting. About the only help I can give you (being only a listener too) between 19th and 20th century is whether the instruments sound as though they are in tune and playing off the same score. If so, then 19th, if not...

For me, it is the Symphony in C major - #1 - Muzio Clementi - While it is true that you won't maistake that you are listening to Beethoven here, but that being said, these are very nice symphonies, melodic, plenty to interest the ear and mind.

------------------
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

atserriotserri: Thanks for the info! That sounds very interesting, indeed, and it would not hurt to add some Eastern influence into our Western cultures (speaking for myself).

Gurn, Clementi might have been a great symphonist of his own accord had he written more (I believe he wrote 3). Good music!

This morning the Brahms' Academic Festival Overture was followed by Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #2 (period instruments).

Comment

What better way than to zip through those mundane tasks and brighten up the afternoon whilst listening to -

Beethoven's delightful works for Mandolin & Fortepiano.
          Andante con Variazioni, Wo044.nr.2
          Sonatine, C-dur, Wo044.nr.1
          Sonatine, c-moll, Wo043,nr.1
          Adagio ma non troppo, Es-Dur Wo043 nr.3

Also- Hummel's Grande Sonata per Clavicembalo o Pianoforte con accompagnamento di Mandolino 0p. 37

------------------
          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte ~
          ~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

Comment

Now playing ...Schubert's Octet D803 in F Major played by Hausmusik.
            Fabulous music!
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Today will be 100% piano:
              I've listened to Scriabin piano sonatas 3, 5 and 10 and I still haven't made myself clear in terms of opinion, which is not necessarily bad, nor necessarily good

To move from my prior experience, I've listened to the well known moonlight sonata (op.14), first played by Bernstein and after by Gould. Quite different performances! Bernstein plays the first movement with such a delicacy and dramatism... I've also been delighted by gould's playing.
              Just a few words of gould that perhaps some of you might find surprising about the moonlight sonata: "although comprising three superficially disparate movements is a masterpiece of intuitive organization that escalates from first note to last"... "the ternary grace of the opening adagio resolves into the tantalizingly ambivalent whiff of D-flat major that constitutes the second movement. This fragile and autumnal allegretto, in turn, dissapears within the flash flood that is the concluding presto. Indeed the presto movement seems to crystalize the sentiments of other two and confirm an emotional relationship at once flexible and assured. Written in the form of sonata-allegro such as Beethoven would normally employ as a first movement, it is one of the most imaginatively structured and temperamentally versatile of all his finales"... "musicians are supposed to have more sophisticated tastes than this, but I think that one of Beethoven's real masterpieces is the moonlight sonata".

Now I will trust the hands of Rubinstein to show me some Chopin (waltzes op. 18, 34, 42, 64, 69, 70 & impromptus op. 29, 36, 51, 66) and Liszt (funerailles, valse-impromptu, valse oubliee no. 1, mephisto waltz no. 1, liebestraum no. 3, hungarian rhapsodies nos. 10 & 12, consolation no. 3).

Perhaps I'll even have room (and time) for some Bach.

Comment

Lovely listening for everyone today I see. This morning was Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 3 in c Op 37 Conductor Hans Vonk and the Staatskapelle Dresden Orchestra with
                Christian Zacharias, piano. A wonderful recording. Also Beethoven's Symphony #4 conducted by Leonard Bernstein. A great performance of the 4th IMHO. Also Vivaldi's Four Seasons "Autumn" to celebrate Autumn's arrival on Wed.!

------------------
                'Truth and beauty joined'
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I just opened my sleepy eyes this morning and thought to myself, hey why not Arriaga?

->String Quartet #3 in E flat major

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                    Lovely listening for everyone today I see. This morning was Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 3 in c Op 37 Conductor Hans Vonk and the Staatskapelle Dresden Orchestra with
                    Christian Zacharias, piano. A wonderful recording. Also Beethoven's Symphony #4 conducted by Leonard Bernstein. A great performance of the 4th IMHO. Also Vivaldi's Four Seasons "Autumn" to celebrate Autumn's arrival on Wed.!

I've got the zacherias edition aswell...It was on a album containing all 5 pianoconcerti and the triple concerto performed by C.H..But I like the rendition of the 3th played by Leon fleischer and the cleveland orchestra under leadership of George szell a little bit better...I love his 4th and fifth though..

For me it's
                    Liszt with Claudio arrau
                    Chopin polonaises by folke nauta and perhaps the 40th of mozart..just because it's such a masterpiece...

Greetz
                    Ruud

------------------
                    Music is like Blood...vital too ones well-being

Comment

Franz Schubert
                      Symphony #2 D.125
                      Riccargo Muti and the Viennas - Splendid!

Comment

Spacerl,
                        Ah, the Octet! Lovely piece of work. And Hausmusik is a wondeful ensemble too. So HIP. You know, now that you have expanded your interests beyond Renaissance vocal music, you prove to have great taste. This beats warblers and lutenists all to be damned, doesn't it??

atserri,
                        I only have one of the Scriabin sonatas, but I found it to be a surprisingly interesting work. Mine is the #4, Op 30. Gould's analysis appeals to me a lot more than his playing (outside of Bach), it is a great verbalization of how I think of that work.

Joy,
                        Well that was a great afternoon listening. IMHO, Autumn is the best overall work of the 4 Seasons, although the tragically cliched Presto of the Summer remains my favorite movement.

Pastor Ali,
                        Comes out of hibernation in his mountain den with the sunny warmth of the "Spanish Mozart"! Gutenmorgen, mein Freund. And a little Franzrl to top it off, bueno!

Ruud,
                        Yes, it is not called "The Great g minor" for nothing, hey? And the Polonaises too, my personal favorites of Chopin. Maybe not his best things, but I don't care, I really like them.

For me, it is teh Terzetto in C major for 2 Violins and Viola Op 74 by Dvorak. Lovely piece of work, written unusually as a freebie forsome amateur musicians to jam on with D. Nice gesture, nicer music.

------------------
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regards,
                        Gurn
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joy:
                          [B]Lovely listening for everyone today I see. This morning was Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 3 in c Op 37 Conductor Hans Vonk and the Staatskapelle Dresden Orchestra
                          Also Vivaldi's Four Seasons "Autumn" to celebrate Autumn's arrival on Wed.!
                          ======

Joy,
                          Just to keep us in the right frame of mind for Autumn,
                          Vivaldi wrote a Sonnet for each Season, here is the Sonnet for the Autumn:
                          The peasant celebrates with song and dance,
                          the harvest safely gathered in.
                          The cup of Bacchus flows freely, and many
                          find their relief in deep slumber.
                          The singing and he dancing die away
                          as cooling breezes fan the pleasant air,
                          inviting all to sleep without a care.
                          The hunters emerge at dawn,
                          ready for the chase,
                          with horns and dogs and cries.
                          Their quarry flees while they give chase.
                          Terrified and wounded, the prey
                          struggles on.
                          but, harried, dies.

Do you remember which Orchestra that performed the Four Seasons on your radio?. I particularly love 'Spring' and 'Summer'.

I have recently bought a new CD on Vivaldi's Four Seasons, superbly performed by the brilliant baroque violinist, Giuliano Carmignola, with the Venice Baroque Orchestra. I am completely mesmerised by this formidable exciting violin virtuoso who projects, sponteneity, vitality, fire and expressivness.
                          The CD also has 3 violin concerto's.

Listening to:

Vivaldi: Nisi Dominus, motets
                          Andreas Scholl, countertenor
                          Australian Brandenberg Orchestra

CD
                          Beethoven, 6 Deutsche Tanze, Wo042

Mullato Sonata in A major 0p. 47. "kreutzer"
                          Peter Sheppard Skaerved. ('Habeneck' Stradivaruis violin)
                          Aaron Shorr. (Piano)

The violin is gorgeous this piece.
                          An absolutely brilliant performance!

------------------
                          ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-25-2004).]

Comment

Amalie,
                            I have Skaerved & Shorr's first disk in that "Beethoven Explored" series, it has WoO 40& 41 on it as well as Op 96. Really super. I heard that disk 2 was out with Op 47 but it is not avaiable int eh States yet. Can't wait! Yesterday also I purchased on eBay a Vivaldi concerto disk by Fabio Biondi which is reputed to be another great performance. Don't know if he will match Carmignola, but I hope so.

For me, it is Romantic Piece for Violin & Piano - Op 75 #4 - Dvorak - Gil & Orli Shaham. Lovely work in this arrangement as well as in the 2 Violins & Viola one.

------------------
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                              [B]Amalie,
                              I have Skaerved & Shorr's first disk in that "Beethoven Explored" series, it has WoO 40& 41 on it as well as Op 96. Really super. I heard that disk 2 was out with Op 47 but it is not avaiable int eh States yet. Can't wait! Yesterday also I purchased on eBay a Vivaldi concerto disk by Fabio Biondi which is reputed to be another great performance. Don't know if he will match Carmignola, but I hope so.

For me, it is Romantic Piece for Violin & Piano - Op 75 #4 - Dvorak - Gil & Orli Shaham. Lovely work in this arrangement as well as in the 2 Violins & Viola one.
                              =======

Gurn, I have both 'Beethoven Explored' CD's. They are absolutley gorgeous, first class!. They were originally performed at St. John Smith Square, London. 2001/2
                              I ordered them from Castle classics on the Metier label.
                              You will love the 'Kreutzer' Sonata. on volume 2, which also includes a rather lovely piece by, Joseph Mayseder, Sonata in Eb major.
                              AS you know, Mayseder was a good friend of Beethoven's, who was always concerned about his living conditions.

I have not heard Fabio Biondi perform, but I am sure you will not be disappointed.

------------------
                              ~ Unsterbliche Geliebte

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 09-25-2004).]

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                                King,
                                It is my understanding that Händel is pretty much the last of the Baroque composers, certainly he outlived Bach (1750). But he certainly didn't absorb the elements one might expect of Rococco (or galant), such as renunciation of fugue and counterpoint as being too difficult for the listener. I do seem to hear a melodic tendency though, not one derived from the harmony, but one as you would see with homophonic music, so perhaps a bit of current events was being absorbed there. I agree though, his concertos are marvelous, my favorites of him.

Amalie,
                                What a splendid opportunity for you! I am once again green-eyed! Fortunately that goes well with my otherwise sallow complexion I agree with you about Brendel's position in the current world of BEethoven performance, many Beethoven piano CD's have passed my hands over the years, but the ones I have stuck with are Brendel 62/Vox, the cheapest ones I have, and my favorites!

atserri,
                                Thanks for that background info, it was very interesting. About the only help I can give you (being only a listener too) between 19th and 20th century is whether the instruments sound as though they are in tune and playing off the same score. If so, then 19th, if not...

For me, it is the Symphony in C major - #1 - Muzio Clementi - While it is true that you won't maistake that you are listening to Beethoven here, but that being said, these are very nice symphonies, melodic, plenty to interest the ear and mind.

Gurn, you are correct in what you say about Handel and the Rococo period. I question his ,Handel's, association with the Rococo style in that Rococo can also be described as decorative in the manner of Rameau and this I think shows in works of Handel like the Water music and Music for The Royal Fireworks. There is definite ornamation in these works that closely relate to the French style, which in the first half of the 18th century was considered Rococo.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X